shape
carat
color
clarity

Another ebay question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I bid on an item and won that I have decided I don''t want -- after further review of the sellers policy (which I should have read thoroughly and done BEFORE I bid) I''ve decided that the ring isn''t what it probably should be AND if I decide to return they have a 25%
8.gif
(which seems OUTRAGEOUS) restocking for all items regardless.

Thoughts? I am almost fine with a negative statement to avoid this seller who''s rating is high but who''s feedback on problems is way way bad.

Any one have insights on how I should proceed?

tx -- sl

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it too late to retract your bid? It''s not nice, but in this situation could be a good thing for you. But I don''t know if it''s allowed after the auction ends or not.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Don''t pay and take the negative rating. Better than the alternative.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am pretty sure your bid is binding, you might have to read up on the policies of ebay, but I pretty sure you cannot just decide you do not want something...

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I don''t know -- I''ve actually had a problem getting their e-mails since my spam filter keeps interfering -- I really don''t want to suck up a couple of hundred dollars in a "restocking" fee (what IS THAT? I mean really, it costs hundreds of dollars to put it back in inventory?)

Maybe I''m being difficult but I did alot of research and this seller is bad news -- but of course I should have done that research before I bid. Seems like there were some serious fake bids.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
not paying the 25% is almost always better than a negative rating on some internet site. boohoo so you have a negative ebay rating. save your cash, its just ebay.

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I know, that''s what I am thinking - I am not a huge ebay buyer but this is the very first time I''ve ever decided I didn''t want something. I don''t know if I should tell them I am recinding the bid OR if I just ignore it (which seems not the right thing to do).

Anyone else have an experience like this?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally feel for you, this is why I tend to avoid Ebay like the plague. BUT, I think you agree to certain things when you sign up, and checking out the seller FIRST is going to be something they put on you, you need to do your homework and avoid people or items you are not sure of. I got hugely ripped off twice in a week, and learned a huge lesson. I will seriously not buy anything from there of any value ever again. That simple, unless it is that one woman who is from my area who sells tons of stuff and I know who she is and where she works out of, I just think there is so much scamming taking place. Sadly I think they will just tell you buyer beware, they are a liason for the most part (I have yet to see them really be proactive in disputes but maybe they can be)...and they will just say it was up to you to check things out before bidding.

slyons29

Rough_Rock
I''m bummed about this seller because I just bought a pair of solitaires that look wonderful from a different seller that I believe will be exactly what they seemed to be. Will let you know how I work it out. Thanks for the input!
30.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/30.gif" border=0>

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
i wonder if you could just ask the seller if its ok not to buy it? By mutual agreement, I don''t think that ebay will charge any fees to the seller if both mutually agree not to complete transaction.It may be worth just asking..good luck

bfready

Rough_Rock
Remember that your winning ebay bid is a binding contract. That having been said, I think the best thing for you to do is tell the seller that you do not wish to continue with the transaction. The best way is if you can find something in their description that was in error or ambiguous. If there were other bidders, remind the seller that they can offer to the second place bidder for that person''s highest bid amount.

Ebay is a great site. My parents, in their semi-retirement, have made a good bit on ebay to supplement their income. For things like collectibles, ebay can save you a lot of money. For things like jewelery, I think it can be a huge risk.

Every time you buy on ebay you should use paypal. If you do want to get out of a paypal transaction, there is a loophole in their system. I actually learned this from a Paypal customer service representative, so I don''t feel too bad telling you. The paypal user agreement says that sellers agree to guarantee receipt of the item. That basically means that if the seller does not use a tool like delivery confirmation (even if they have the package insured) when they ship the item, you could claim you never received it. If the seller has funds in their seller''s account, paypal would take your purchase price out of their account and hold it pending an investigation. As long as you insist the parcel was never received, paypal will refund you the money. When I asked the rep about buyers doing such a scam, he said it was perfectly possible that could happen. That''s why paypal monitors buyers when multiple claims have been made. I don''t suggest doing this. It''s just one reason sellers are unhappy with the paypal agreement.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay and take the negative..

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t pay but I would e-mail the sellers and tell them why. Then if they still give you negative feedback you can write a response to the negative feedback on your own feedback.

Something along the lines of "rescinded after researching seller''s poor feedback and return policy." That way future sellers won''t think you are just a deadbeat bidder. And if they do, who cares, really? It''s just ebay!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Well you amy not like it but you are in the wrong here...you should have read the whole listing before you bid...you have entered into a binding contract...or did you not read that part either...

The seller incurs fees for listing some they may never recover

Negative feedback is not the only thing that can happen to you if you don''t pay you can get a strike too

here is a link to the eBay answer center

http://pages.ebay.com/community/answercenter/index.html

the best you can do now is ask for mutual withdrawal...to which you have to agree...you don''t get a strike...and the seller at least gets their FVF back (some but not all of the fees that had to pay eBay)

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll say what I''ve said in various other eBay threads: Don''t jump in the tank if you can''t swim with the sharks.

Placing a bid without reading the auction terms carefully, then wanting to withdraw after doing your research is not fair to the seller, unless they went out of their way to conceal dodgy terms and feedback.

Withdraw the bid if you want, but be prepared to take your lumps.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go with your gut, but not following through with payment will get you a negative from the seller and an unpaid item strike from ebay. That being said, I would rather take the negative than be stuck with an item of poor quality. Good luck!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe the seller will agree to just voiding your win so it will be like it never happened? Listing items costs money, so what if you offer to cover the listing fees for this auction so they aren''t out the money?
Like you and others have said...be prepared for a negative feedback, but I''d rather have that then be out hundreds of dollars or have a piece of junk. Just take this as a learning experience!

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 8:27:15 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I wouldn''t pay and take the negative..
I agree with mssalvo. Take the negative rating and don''t pay.

"Remember that your winning ebay bid is a binding contract." Although I don''t neccessarily don''t disagree with that statement (barring misrepresentation by the seller, fraud, etc.), do you honestly think some seller is going to come after you for a restocking fee? Come on...... it aint goin to happen.

Don''t feel too guilty about it either - its the cost of doing business that some buyers will get second thoughts.

The ring in your avatar is pretty cool though :)

slyons29

Rough_Rock
Thanks -- that''s from Fay Cullen''s site -- love the stuff but her return and warranty policies leave alot to be desired -- I hope to have that ring made (well, I hope my BF will be making it for an engagement ring) maybe same concept with an asscher.

Love the multiple halo settings with colored stones.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results