shape
carat
color
clarity

another dilemma (a good problem)

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
Ok so here are my choices now.

I can upgrade all my diamonds (1.24 g vvs1, 1 g vvs1, 1 gvvs 1) to a four carat tw pair of studs.

Or

I can keep my 2 ctw studs as is, buy s vatche 3 stine setting and use the 1.24 stone as a center stone anf get two .5-.6 carat each side stones.

If i do this, i will also be able to get a 5 stone 0.5 carat each half band. These sre cushion cuts.

Which would you do and why?

Option 2 is also cheaper.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second option. Two carats in each ear would be a lot! I'd rather have the one carat in each ear and the other rings that you've mentioned than a two carat diamond in each ear.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Second option! For myself, 2 ctw studs are plenty (though with an infinite budget, bigger is always better :naughty: ) Plus I lean towards rings and bracelets over necklaces and earrings because I like being able to see my bling all day long!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
second option!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I would jump all over option 2!! Sounds like a lot more bang for the buck! While 4ctw studs are impressive, I think they would be overwhelming on most earlobes.

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325040565|3089728 said:
Second option. Two carats in each ear would be a lot! I'd rather have the one carat in each ear and the other rings that you've mentioned than a two carat diamond in each ear.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. That is what I was thinking too. I love your ring btw. :)

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
tuffyluvr|1325043684|3089760 said:
I would jump all over option 2!! Sounds like a lot more bang for the buck! While 4ctw studs are impressive, I think they would be overwhelming on most earlobes.

Thank you! I appreciate it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2!!!! I would have no desire ever to have 2 cts. in each ear (I don't think anyone I know would think they were real for one thing!). I think that is great for people who wear a 4-5 ct. engagement ring, but it is way overkill for most others. I would absolutely rather have the three stone and 5 stone rings.

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
Ladies, after much debating and going back and forth, I am going forward with option 1. I own a pair of diamond earrings that are a flower setting that will be the same size as the solitaires in my ear. In fact, that is the largest I can do.

Hubby supports that over #2 and says I can get a 3 stone ring later and that I wear my studs all the time while seldom wear rings on my right hand.

I need help with the setting. What do you recommend? What type of backing? I have screwbacks and would like to stay with those. (I think) I am open to ideas.

I worry that they might droop?

Thoughts welcome.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zephyr|1325045454|3089779 said:

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. That is what I was thinking too. I love your ring btw. :)

Thanks for the compliment!

As for your new earrings, I don't know which setting would be better to make sure there was no droop. We've not seen many here with earrings that large but I think there have been a few. Maybe you could start a new thread in Rocky Talk entitled '2 carats in each ear' or something to grab the attention of those with more experience than me! I'm guessing maybe the martini settings but I seem to remember large discs that are maybe incorporated into earring backs that help balance out the weight in the front from the stone. It would probably be best to ask the vendor which setting he recommends. I changed my earrings from screwbacks to straight posts as the screwbacks really hurt my ears being put in and taken out everyday.

Do you have stones in mind for this project or are you just beginning to look around? Would love to see your contenders!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1325045605|3089782 said:
#2!!!! I would have no desire ever to have 2 cts. in each ear (I don't think anyone I know would think they were real for one thing!). I think that is great for people who wear a 4-5 ct. engagement ring, but it is way overkill for most others. I would absolutely rather have the three stone and 5 stone rings.

that is what I am thinking too! People might not think they are real. I like the second option too!

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325298738|3091953 said:
zephyr|1325045454|3089779 said:

Thanks for the compliment!

As for your new earrings, I don't know which setting would be better to make sure there was no droop. We've not seen many here with earrings that large but I think there have been a few. Maybe you could start a new thread in Rocky Talk entitled '2 carats in each ear' or something to grab the attention of those with more experience than me! I'm guessing maybe the martini settings but I seem to remember large discs that are maybe incorporated into earring backs that help balance out the weight in the front from the stone. It would probably be best to ask the vendor which setting he recommends. I changed my earrings from screwbacks to straight posts as the screwbacks really hurt my ears being put in and taken out everyday.

Do you have stones in mind for this project or are you just beginning to look around? Would love to see your contenders!

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8079/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8078/

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - those are going to be some gorgeous stones! Give GOG a call and see what they recommend in terms of settings.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto, over 1 carat in each for me, is just overkill. I would rather have more pieces first.

I see that you're going with the studs! I would give a shout out to pheonix, she has some pretty huge studs and would be able to give good insight on the settings. Good luck!

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks|1325300197|3091979 said:
Wow - those are going to be some gorgeous stones! Give GOG a call and see what they recommend in terms of settings.

I will talk to them tomorrow. I was doing some research ahead of time to see what I'd like to make it easier for them. I like screwbacks and may do La pousette even. Thank you for the compliment. I like those rocks too.

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1325300396|3091984 said:

Ditto, over 1 carat in each for me, is just overkill. I would rather have more pieces first.

I see that you're going with the studs! I would give a shout out to pheonix, she has some pretty huge studs and would be able to give good insight on the settings. Good luck!

:) Thank you. I am quite excited.

Phoenix, pretty please?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too would vote for option #1. Congrats and I'm sure they'll be knockouts!

Anne

zephyr

Shiny_Rock
anne_h|1325360036|3092384 said:
I too would vote for option #1. Congrats and I'm sure they'll be knockouts!

Anne

Thanks Anne! I tried on 2 carat CZ today and I am blessed with nice earlobes. They looked perfect. I am so excited. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results