shape
carat
color
clarity

Another cut question

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I know I've reached troll like proportions with my cuts, but are these the same cut? Euro? TIA 20231007_184938-COLLAGE.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Look more transitional to me with the small/medium culet facet and slightly larger table.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@lulu_ma , the one on the right or the one on the left? They are different.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think they are both transitionals. The one on the left is transitional/ early round brilliant due to the smaller culet facet and slightly larger table.

I’d be curious to see a side profile on the stones. My guess is that the one on the left has a flatter crown.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The tables look small enough to be OEC and the pavilion faceting looks oldish. However, the culets are too small for a classic OEC. Possibly, a jeweler had a diamond cutter slightly modernize them some years ago to make the stone a bit brighter without losing any important amount of weight. This was a very common practice. The pavilions might have been slightly altered to close the culet and maybe a nick or two at the girdle was removed. Maybe even the girdles were rounded. Diamonds like you are showing were the result.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The tables look small enough to be OEC and the pavilion faceting looks oldish. However, the culets are too small for a classic OEC. Possibly, a jeweler had a diamond cutter slightly modernize them some years ago to make the stone a bit brighter without losing any important amount of weight. This was a very common practice. The pavilions might have been slightly altered to close the culet and maybe a nick or two at the girdle was removed. Maybe even the girdles were rounded. Diamonds like you are showing were the result.

@oldminer about how large do the tables look to you? Around 54%? It’s hard for me to gauge.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
This ia absolutely fascinating and thank you for the education. These are the sides - pictures are not great, I can ask for more.
Left one with the chip (?)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_092506_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_092506_eBay.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231008_092046_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_092046_eBay.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 13

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Right one, no chip

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_092611_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_092611_eBay.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What they would be called would depend on who you ask.
Neither meets the definition of OEC as used by GIA.
When Dave A.(oldminer) writes about old cuts I listen and learn.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K , I'm the best customer because I buy antiques with my heart and less by the GIA rules ;-) @oldminer waves from Virginia, my husband grew up in Annapolis.
I'd love to get a transitional, I've only seen one in real life and I'm curious to see how it compares to my European image.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This is a useful video. Of course, individual stones can lean one way or another.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results