shape
carat
color
clarity

Anniversary rings...what should i look for in diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

itzelm

Rough_Rock
HI,I am in the process of getting married and I am looking for a ring. My BF and I agreed not to get an engagement ring, instead I'd like a wedding band with diamonds on it, something that kind of looks like a wedding band and an engagment ring all together. I settled for the anniversary ring: 5 graduating stones (center stone bigger than the others), 3/4 carat or 1 carat total weight on 950 platinum. Now the problem is this:
a) what quality diamonds should i expect in this type of diamond? I am looking for something no less than s1 and gh in color. however, when i go to the jewelers they say that small stones do not come with certificates. Then, how do I know if I am getting what the jeweler says?
b) I've visited a very small jeweler. Lots of experience but not a graduate gemologist. He has showed me a platinum ring with 5 diamonds. s1 (1 or 2), g in color, total carat 3/4 for $1600. So far this has been the best offer. However, this jeweler does not have a refund policy. He agreed to allow me to have the ring appraised but will not refund the money if the ring is not what he says it is.What to do? What is an approximate price for this ring?
Thanks

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lawmax, you forgot one letter e that's why the link didn't work. Just FYI

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you tonysgeko. I should have taken the time to check out the link since I missed the typo.
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like this jeweler's policies. You can buy something with less risk somewhere else.The cut of the diamonds is what will make them beautiful. Find a jeweler who will make sure the diamonds you choose are well-cut. Where are you located? Steve Livingston (Stevl as he posts here) at www.demsjewlers.com can find these for you if you would consider buying over the internet. He has a brick and mortar store and they do beautiful custom work if you would need that. I have no idea about cost, but it can be quite reasonable. It would be well worth your time to check it out. You most often get what you pay for.Good luck
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by itzelm:
a) what quality diamonds should i expect in this type of diamond? I am looking for something no less than s1 and gh in color. however, when i go to the jewelers they say that small stones do not come with certificates. Then, how do I know if I am getting what the jeweler says?
That is true. Small diamonds rarely come with grading reports (certificates) because in most cases it is not worth it - price for a grading report becomes equal to the price of a diamond.You can try to check diamonds yourself (e.g. no visible inclusions) or ask independent appraiser.
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
b) I've visited a very small jeweler. Lots of experience but not a graduate gemologist. He has showed me a platinum ring with 5 diamonds. s1 (1 or 2), g in color, total carat 3/4 for $1600. So far this has been the best offer. However, this jeweler does not have a refund policy. He agreed to allow me to have the ring appraised but will not refund the money if the ring is not what he says it is.What to do? What is an approximate price for this ring?
Thanks
Is it gold or platinum ring?Here are a few rings from Blue Nile (30 days money back) for comparison.18k Gold Diamond Band (3/4 ct. tw.) 5 diamonds I-SI2, $1,300.00 :
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=489&filter_id=0&nav1=ring_channel.asp&page=3&show=&col=2&row=1&pos=2 5 stones palt ring. 3/4 TDW, H-SI1, $2200:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=550&filter_id=0&nav1=ring_channel.asp&page=1&show=&col=2&row=4&pos=11&set_shape=

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results