shape
carat
color
clarity

And then there were 2---> Round B. or Pear for pendant..decision time:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Well, it''ll soon be a thing of the past...I am looking for a diamond with good glitter/sparkle, and know the RB is best...but can the Pear compete at all? Its crunch time...and FYI again here is the setting I will be using for either of them (well, almost exact) What do ya think? http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DP08400400_zoom.jpg

Mara...PQ...still liking the Pear? The "victim" *smiles* is small...5''3ish, 110 soakin wet" has a emerald cut, and RB on fingers...probably an 18" chain huh? now to be patient and find a diamond..wish I could see them and decide if there is a need for a VS, ir D-E-F''s for a necklace...You all have been a big help..just "
tying up" my loose ends before making my decision...askin the pros
1.gif
thanks again...RM

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Both are classic looks. Probably the RB more so than the pear. Both can go casual or dressy. I had the round, which many women prefer. I have a girlfriend with a pear and her's is equally beautiful. She wears hers with jeans and on dressy occassions.

It really comes down to personal preference. Has your Lady voiced an opinion in the past as to which she would like? Do you remember her looking at a piece in a jewelry store that really held her eye? Does she have a girlfriend you could ask that might give you some insight into your Lady's preference? She already has a round and an emerald cut. Maybe she likes to mix it up?

IMHO, beyond the issue of personal preference, there's really no way to go wrong.

I had an 18" chain. I'm much taller, 5'9", and bigger build. After having the 18", I think a 17" would have been better. 18" sat a tad lower than being right at the bottom of my neck. Maybe your Lady might need a 16" if you want that type of look.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My guess is that 18" will be too long. For her size, if you want it to dangle at the base of her throat, 16" is probably right. If you want a little more play and flexibility, go 17", but I think 18" will be too long.

FWIW...I really like the pear pendants because they are different. But, it all depends on her style and whether she would prefer something a little more unique or something a little more classic.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/22/2004 1:56:20 PM Resortman wrote:

Well, it'll soon be a thing of the past...I am looking for a diamond with good glitter/sparkle, and know the RB is best...but can the Pear compete at all? Its crunch time...and FYI again here is the setting I will be using for either of them (well, almost exact) What do ya think? http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DP08400400_zoom.jpg

Mara...PQ...still liking the Pear? The 'victim' *smiles* is small...5'3ish, 110 soakin wet' has a emerald cut, and RB on fingers...probably an 18' chain huh? now to be patient and find a diamond..wish I could see them and decide if there is a need for a VS, ir D-E-F's for a necklace...You all have been a big help..just '
tying up' my loose ends before making my decision...askin the pros
1.gif
thanks again...RM
----------------

Hi,

I'm the same size, but one inch taller, and a 16" will look better than an 18" unless it's a huge diamond you're buying. My stone is .38 and the proportions to my body and diamond size create the best look at this length.

Are you thinking of getting a D color? I wouldn't bother. You just can't tell once mounted and people don't look THAT closely. My mom gave me my stone and it's a D, but honestly, now that it's mounted in a bezel, I can't tell the difference between it and my G color stone. If I was to buy a stone on my own, I'd probably get an I color for a pendant (unless of course, I had a ton of money to blow
9.gif
).

Michelle

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Resortman,

I agree with the others that for her size the 18 inch might be too long. Sixteen or 17 inches would be better.

As for the shape of the stone, do you plan to eventually get earrings, or does she have earrings to match one shape or the other? Personally, even though I love the pear shape because it is different, I don't see many pear shaped diamond studs. I think the RB makes a beautiful stud earring.

That may be something to consider!
2.gif

Good luck!

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the info! I'll answer a few questions that may help you help me
1.gif
1st off, the diamond will be approx 1-1.5 carats...2nd'ly, Ill measure a few other necklaces of hers and see how they turn out
1.gif
I have noted a few in the 1.25 carat range (g/vs1, g/si1) at a ratio of 1.62'ish...anything further, fire it back at me..I'm all ears..you have opened up a few good thoughts..just want to get my ducks in a row before taking the plunge, and I APPRECIATE it! RM

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 5'2 and about 112 and I have a 0.57 H I1 Eightstar in that setting. It's gorgeous and classic. Also, I have it on a 16 inch chain and truthfully wish it were even smaller (15 inch), so I suggest a 16 inch over an 18 inch.

As for the color and clarity, for a pendant I don't think you need a perfect perfect stone. My stone is completely white and even though it is an I1, it really does not show any inclusions to the naked eye. So I think you could go with a Near Colorless stone and an SI clarity and it would still be gorgeous. Good Luck, let us know what you decide.

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Thanks Jax! WIll DO! the more help the better
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm tough call. I adore round brilliants because they look amazing, like no other type cut. But I have secretly been coveting a pear teardrop pendant. If it is well cut with good light return, it will be beautiful, esp in the size that you are considering. Plus it's a little off the 'beaten path' meaning that not everyone is going to have one.

As for the necklace length...personally 16 is wayyyy too short for me. I hate it when I feel like I am being choked at the neck, and I don't like it when necklaces sit in the base of the neck unless it's a bezel set round. For something like a pear, I think more dangle is required. I have an 18" Regent pendant and I love the length, it's perfect. I had a 16" jump ring put in so that I could wear it at 16" or 18" so maybe this is a solution for you to do as well...the jump ring is really small so you can't see it...esp if she wears longer hair mostly. I've had the pendant for a few months and I have yet to try the 16"...because I am so happy with the 18". I am taller, 5'8" and medium build...but I just wanted something with a little bit more of give than the 16" necklaces I have had in the past. So if you are unsure, maybe the 18" chain with the 16" ring will do the trick...she can have best of both worlds.

2.gif
Hope this helps some.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Jax brought up a good point about the diamond you select. I had a 3/4 carat, Super Ideal, Hearts and Arrows, A Cut Above from White Flash. I loved it but I couldn't see it. When I did see it, I noticed it didn't sparkle and flash as much a diamonds do in a ring or bracelet setting. Brian Gavin and I discussed this issue. Brian said the reason my pendant did not "perform" as well as I would have liked is because the neck is a static position. When I took my pendant off and played with the stone, it sparkled and flashed like mad. When the diamond was hanging on my neck, the diamond sparkled and flashed at times.

That's a thought to keep in mind as you select your diamond. Wearing a diamond in a necklace is not the most dynamic position to showcase a fantastic performer.
1.gif

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Well, I've found 2 Pears I could be happy with...check out the stats and see which you'd prefer by what is showing. I do know the 1.27 is perfectly eye-clean. There is a good $$ between the 2...so if both are eye-clean does one have any advantage over the other with one being an "g" and one an "h" ? its the 1200 buck question
1.gif
--->

http://www.whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-552554.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/pear/Pear-cut-diamond-570143.htm

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
They look virtually identical in specs. Same basic shape (L:W). Nearly identical size and girdle. About the only difference, besides price, is the H has VG Polish. I'd lean toward the H, depending on inclusions.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, this question is up my alley. Some questions - does she wear turtlenecks often? Is her frame as small as it seems? Sometimes people can be small but bigger boned.

If her frame is small & she wears turtle necks, then 16" would be the way to go. If she doesn't wear turtle necks, then hands down 15". But, if you go w/ 16", you can always size it down. For her size 18" will be too long & risks of getting caught on things.

In general, larger pendants look better on longer chains. Smaller pendants on smaller chains.

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Thanks PQ...I think the difference will be hard to tell size wise. They only thing that raises thoughts are certification means...gia vs egl...are these two on the same page at all when grading? My decision will be made VERY soon (aniv. is the 4th
1.gif
thanks and look forward to your responses! RM

Resortman

Rough_Rock
Fire, No, she NEVER wears a turtle neck. Here is a pic of her I quick loaded to my audio site..she's pretty small in my thoughts...not tiny, but small
1.gif
-->

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639302.html

PS, don't know who the guy is though...but I best find out!
1.gif
RM

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By definition GIA is more precise, but this kind of 'statistical' approximation could mean little for each and every stone. I would ask THIS seller for an opinion, and possibly an appraiser after if the issue is a major one.

The stones 'sound' great and I would love a side-by-side picture if obtainable, although they could probably make a pair ! At 1.6 LxW these are quite elongated (for example, the example in the standard picture presented on the WF site is a pear with 1.45 LxW)...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Both of these stones are very close in their proportions. The EGL is significantly less money though. If you have it independently appraised just to make sure the specs are accurate, this would be the better buy, IMO. I definitely like a pear shape over a RB for a pendent -- very elegant. I am about the same size as the "victim" (an inch taller), and I prefer a 16 inch length. The 18 would flop and move around on me, and I like the look of the diamond sitting closer to the divit at the base of the neck.
love.gif

Can't wait to see pictures when it's done. Good luck!

Diamondlil

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the cheaper one!
1.gif
If the specs are similar and the makes are good...H is a perfectly good color for a stone, my H regent is pretty darn white! I would do an H hands down all day long.
1.gif
The price is much better, as long as it's a true H SI then it's fine. Get it independently appraised, but if I am not wrong, Brian will bring it in before he ships it out to you and eyeball it personally...so that is an extra bonus. The size difference on those is minimal but the price difference is huge.

H
1.gif
It should be great!! Did you see any pictures yet or anything?

Resortman

Rough_Rock
I'm all set...Brian said the 1.21 was eyeclean and only some wisps at 10x...so that is great! 3 people have looked at the stone, and been very happy with it..Brian told me it was VERY well graded...and rumor has it, he's tough on EGL.
1.gif
Now the wait is on..I'll post a few pics once I get it..I want to thank you all for the knowledge, and time you've takin to help me along with a "pear"...I'm not familiar with this cut and it was something I wanted to know more about...thanks again! check back..I'll be postin! RM

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on a great choice! don't forget those pictures!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your find!!
2.gif
That's gonna be one lucky lady!!
3.gif

Do post pics!! We all
love.gif
eye candy here!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY can't wait to see pictures. Congrats for what sounds like a great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results