shape
carat
color
clarity

And the New Toilet Paper is...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had never heard of this soup before reading your post & so naturally I was curious. Upon looking it up it sounded delicious but I couldn't find any progresso or other canned chikarina soups so I tried my hand at making it tonight. I couldn't find those larger pearl couscous so I used orzo and it worked wonderfully. Kid approved & such a comfort! Thank you for the introduction ️

IMG_20200713_190228274.jpg
IMG_20200713_190240386.jpg

Chickarina soup is a staple here. It's my daughter's favorite. I can always get it, either at a local store or on-line. Until I saw this posting with the photo, I didn't know someone else could not get it. Sometimes I have had to scrounge for it, but we have never been without. (I do not eat it.) The homemade version looks about a million times better than than the Progresso soup!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is from "The New York Times". I am not sure I agree with its thesis, which is that everything basic is available, but that there is less choice.

our stores are pretty much back to overwhelming choice but for a while, and in certain stores still, it was one choice only for some of the staples.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep buying limits here also still in place. Barley has been particularly hard to find.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hopefully not here we go again :(2
but due to community transmission in Auckland things just got hard here aftee things were almost back to nornal
they think its possible the virus came in on frozen food (not the actual food but the outter packaging that goes nowhere near a consumer)
as one of the people work at a cool store that imports frozen food

amyway there are limits on baking powder
who in their right mind would ever need to buy 4 packs of baking powder
that's not hoarding - its just gready and stupid
anyway cat food is restriceted
Tibby needs the urinary health cat buscuits and he only likes the hills urinary track one - i can't afford to buy the more exspensive brands at the vets
last week they were out of stock
this week its on special so we are going to be brave and go in tomorrow to get some
2 packets should get us through a lockdown like last time
i don't need toilet rolls - i have 2 emergency 4 packs and 9 rolls in the bathroom - i never had a problem getting it last time
wish me luck
I'll have to fashion something into a mask

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hopefully not here we go again :(2
but due to community transmission in Auckland things just got hard here aftee things were almost back to nornal
they think its possible the virus came in on frozen food (not the actual food but the outter packaging that goes nowhere near a consumer)
as one of the people work at a cool store that imports frozen food

amyway there are limits on baking powder
who in their right mind would ever need to buy 4 packs of baking powder
that's not hoarding - its just gready and stupid
anyway cat food is restriceted
Tibby needs the urinary health cat buscuits and he only likes the hills urinary track one - i can't afford to buy the more exspensive brands at the vets
last week they were out of stock
this week its on special so we are going to be brave and go in tomorrow to get some
2 packets should get us through a lockdown like last time
i don't need toilet rolls - i have 2 emergency 4 packs and 9 rolls in the bathroom - i never had a problem getting it last time
wish me luck
I'll have to fashion something into a mask

Good luck Daisy!!! Hugs to you and Tibby ❤️ I hope you can get everything you need.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm baffled as to why anyone needs that much baking powder unless they were running some sort of cake business!

Good luck @Daisys and Diamonds

If you can and if there is a lull in the panic, stock up on a few things. I've found that people go insane on any given day due to one announcement so I try to buy a few extras of everything when no one wants them. Because the moment they announce something new, people go mental and start lining up at the shops.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm baffled as to why anyone needs that much baking powder unless they were running some sort of cake business!

Good luck @Daisys and Diamonds

If you can and if there is a lull in the panic, stock up on a few things. I've found that people go insane on any given day due to one announcement so I try to buy a few extras of everything when no one wants them. Because the moment they announce something new, people go mental and start lining up at the shops.

i just checked the website and both wanganui branches are now out of stock
i don't know what to do.
do i risk trying pack n save or new world when i don't know the layout or their range ?
actually almost everything on my running shopping list is now out of stock
one thing i know is if we go into a full lockdown again i cannot afford to shop at the suburban place we had to frequent last time, im only just now finacially recovering from last time

we usually just shop once a fortnight with maybe a trip in between to the local for bread and peanut butter as that's how our finances work right now and its definatly the more economical way to shop
to their credit the 4 Square never once ran out of toilet paper and i never had to use my emergency 4 pack - i now have 2 emergency 4 packs

i was only going to buy one bag of bickies for Tibby - it lasts about 3 weeks as he also has wet food but he can't eat the cheaper biscuits they sell at the wanganui east 4 square and i cannot afford a trip to the vet if he gets a sore willy

i would have got it last time but it was out of stock
i think sometimes our countdown (woolworths) doesn't always have room for the entire range and only gets some lines when its due for a promotion but Tibby won't eat the purina one - i know stray cats that won't eat the purina one !

im so over covid 19 !
stay safe over there

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang in there @Daisys and Diamonds

From past experience after a few weeks in lockdown people get less excited and grocery items will come back.

I honestly think people get carried away by the hype. Like my dog who will queue up as soon as she thinks someone is also queuing up in the kitchen. She'll be snoring but if she thinks someone has formed a queue, up she gets.

i just checked the website and both wanganui branches are now out of stock
i don't know what to do.
do i risk trying pack n save or new world when i don't know the layout or their range ?
actually almost everything on my running shopping list is now out of stock
one thing i know is if we go into a full lockdown again i cannot afford to shop at the suburban place we had to frequent last time, im only just now finacially recovering from last time

we usually just shop once a fortnight with maybe a trip in between to the local for bread and peanut butter as that's how our finances work right now and its definatly the more economical way to shop
to their credit the 4 Square never once ran out of toilet paper and i never had to use my emergency 4 pack - i now have 2 emergency 4 packs

i was only going to buy one bag of bickies for Tibby - it lasts about 3 weeks as he also has wet food but he can't eat the cheaper biscuits they sell at the wanganui east 4 square and i cannot afford a trip to the vet if he gets a sore willy

i would have got it last time but it was out of stock
i think sometimes our countdown (woolworths) doesn't always have room for the entire range and only gets some lines when its due for a promotion but Tibby won't eat the purina one - i know stray cats that won't eat the purina one !

im so over covid 19 !
stay safe over there

I don’t know if this will work for you but maybe you can try finding things online, @Daisys and Diamonds? I’m not sure if Amazon etc are available in NZ but my parents relied/are relying on online delivery quite a bit since they are both at risk so they don’t want to be out and about.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t know if this will work for you but maybe you can try finding things online, @Daisys and Diamonds? I’m not sure if Amazon etc are available in NZ but my parents relied/are relying on online delivery quite a bit since they are both at risk so they don’t want to be out and about.

thank you
i got the cat biscuits at another supernarket in town
phew

because of markedly less flights into the country Amazon cant guarantee delivery dates - just says will be significant delays
not a good time for buying things from overseas or even sending overseas mail and the exchange rate is dreadful right now
i just want the whole world to get well soon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was just on the news Auckland supermarkets are out of flour

i picked up a 1.5kg of wholemeal flour two days ago after i forgot to order some for our delivery

today i went to the flasher super market - the big brother of the neighborhood store
OMG it was beautiful
lovelly wide isles
so many cat biscuits to choose from
i used to always shop at New World when i worked in Porirua
the meat looked so good
when im working again i look forward to shopping there again

any way also on the news tonight was zucchini is holding its price at $39.99 kg with cucumber getting up to $30 because Australian imports are banned till they get some cucabit disease under control

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently toilet paper and paper towels are flying off the shelves again.

What else is missing?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently toilet paper and paper towels are flying off the shelves again.

What else is missing?

We still cannot get Lysol spray.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have learnt from our lockdown. I now keep 108 surplus toilet rolls that I buy on discount.

Every few weeks they have a super cheap discount and I will pick up a pack (36 rolls) even if I still have toilet paper. You never know when Australians will get hysterical and buy up all the toilet paper.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Tough to get disinfecting wipes...

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
According to my local mom groups it is now toilet paper again. Sigh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have learnt from our lockdown. I now keep 108 surplus toilet rolls that I buy on discount.

Every few weeks they have a super cheap discount and I will pick up a pack (36 rolls) even if I still have toilet paper. You never know when Australians will get hysterical and buy up all the toilet paper.

I wish you could talk some sense into Greg. He refuses to stockpile TP. He says it is ridiculous and we will be able to get when we need. Oh my goodness. How did that man get to be his age and still be so innocent???

We shall see. I am sending him off to Costco now (senior hour) and we shall see if he gets the Scott Tissue TP I want. I am very choosy and Scott single ply is my favorite TP. My best guess? They won't have it as I have heard there is, once again, a run on TP.

:)

All I can say is if we run out of TP I am getting a puppy. So Greg better hope we don't run out. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough to get disinfecting wipes...

I posted about this before. The Honest Company has alcohol wipes in stock if you need them. I believe that is effective against most viruses including Covid 19. HTH!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you could talk some sense into Greg. He refuses to stockpile TP. He says it is ridiculous and we will be able to get when we need. Oh my goodness. How did that man get to be his age and still be so innocent???

We shall see. I am sending him off to Costco now (senior hour) and we shall see if he gets the Scott Tissue TP I want. I am very choosy and Scott single ply is my favorite TP. My best guess? They won't have it as I have heard there is, once again, a run on TP.

:)

All I can say is if we run out of TP I am getting a puppy. So Greg better hope we don't run out. :lol:

I was so WITH you on this post...right up until the end - when I had a 'blank look' moment.

If you run out of toilet paper, how is the puppy going to help?

(yes, I know those comments aren't connected - it really made me LAUGH, tho!!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was so WITH you on this post...right up until the end - when I had a 'blank look' moment.

If you run out of toilet paper, how is the puppy going to help?

(yes, I know those comments aren't connected - it really made me LAUGH, tho!!)

Hahaha it’s always my go to. As in, ok, you get your way but if you’re wrong my consolation prize is a puppy. And so on and so forth. Because that’s the ultimate no from Greg. He doesn’t want a puppy. So it means he’s confident we won’t run out as he knows if he’s wrong I get a puppy. 8-):cheeky::halo:

And a puppy makes everything better. :appl:Sugar and spice and everything nice.:halo:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted about this before. The Honest Company has alcohol wipes in stock if you need them. I believe that is effective against most viruses including Covid 19. HTH!

These are 65% alcohol. I thought you need 70% to kill Covid?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are 65% alcohol. I thought you need 70% to kill Covid?

I thought it is effective between 60-70% alcohol. But I read conflicting info.

ETA.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that 65% is effective against Covid 19.
FYI:

In addition to soap and water, alcohol is a recommended cleaning agent to destroy the coronavirus.

Beth told you in a previous video that soap inactivates the coronavirus by destroying the lipid, or fatty, bilayer that holds the virus together. When a virus’ proteins, lipids and RNA fall apart, the components are no longer viable and virus becomes inactive.

That’s how alcohol works, too. When you soak a virus in alcohol – in this case ethanol or isopropanol – and let it air dry, the alcohol breaks down the fatty bilayer that holds the virus together.

Specifically, you’ll find 70% alcohol easily available. Anything between 60-80% alcohol will work just fine. People will sometimes assume that if 70% alcohol is good at destroying viruses, then 90% must be better. This is NOT true. Anything over 80% alcohol will evaporate quickly and may not have enough time to destroy the lipid membrane sufficiently.

Similarly, alcohol that is weaker than 60% will not destroy the virus’s lipid layer, it has too much water in it. This also means you shouldn’t try to use alcohol that is meant for consumption – a standard bottle of vodka is 80 proof, which means it’s only 40% alcohol and will not effectively destroy the virus.

Essential oils also have a limited effective time of action, due to their volatile nature. So while essential oils like tea tree oil are known for having anti-microbial, non-bleaching properties, these anti-microbial properties are significantly weaker than synthetic compounds.

To destroy the coronavirus, soap is most effective at breaking down the fat layer, and 60-80% alcohol cleaners are also highly effective.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we went to Costco last month, they had so much toilet paper, it was stacked everywhere. When we went last week, they didn’t have much and had notices saying only 1 pack per customer.

We haven’t stockpiled, but kept stocked up with things. When toilet paper being more readily available, we did order online from Costco and the minimum quantity was 2 x large packs, so I estimate we’ve got enough to last us for a good while yet.

Apart from the madness in the first week of this current 4 week lockdown, things seem to be back to normal in the supermarkets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Greg was right. For now. May he rejoice in this feeling as it doesn't happen as often as the other way around. :)

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.19.48 AM.png

And may I add I am happy and relieved he was right. We have toilet paper and the puppy can wait.
:bigsmile:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No shortages whatsoever here. BUT
To keep people from lingering endlessly in different shops they deemed florists & bookshops non-essentia among many othersl. They get govt aides ( money & skill) as well as the basic shop system though, to get a website with shop and click &collect options running fast. ...frankly, a 5 y/O can set up a basic website with shop nowadays...Then the respective trade organizations sued, because in certain big supermarkets one can still buy books and flowers.

Now that is officially prohibited to sell everywhere:doh:...
So we're in lockdown and without flowers.

Non biggie, but I guess the flower suppliers were not necessarily pleased..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results