shape
carat
color
clarity

and now we are down to two.......... please help!

dandoe123

Rough_Rock
so after many months, i think i've narrowed my choices down to three. any suggestion/comment would be greatly appreciated in regards to which is a better deal.

Stone #1 -- http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2680218.htm

Carat: .775
Color: D
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56%
Crown angle: 34.9
Pavillion angle: 40.8
HCA score: 1.5
Price: $7935

Stone #2 -- http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD02226141&builder=BYOR&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP#DIAMONDS_STEP|LD02226141

Carat: .83
Color: E
Depth: 61.6%
Crown angle: 35.0
Price: $9081

i know that there will be people who will suggest that i could get a better value by dropping down on the clarity/color. really gave it much thought and decided that if i'm going to be spending a significant amount of money, i'd like to go with the "best" quality. anyway, along these lines, i believe the one from whiteflash is one of their H&A collection and the one from bluenile is part of their signature collection.

having a hard time deciding if there really is any significant difference between the two to warrant the $1000 difference. would one even be able to realistically tell the difference between 0.775 vs 0.83 carats and D vs E in color?

thanks in advance!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the WF one because you have pictures/etc.

As far as 'best'...that is subjective. I would recommend looking at different sizes/colors/clarities in person to see what you like.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best really is subjective.

I just want to ask you one thing. ARE YOU SURE YOUR LADY AGREES WITH YOUR DEFINITION OF BEST? Cause many women I know would be ticked if their FI spend EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS on a diamond and didn't hit the one carat mark. Because for many SIZE is first when it comes to what is "best"... now I totally get wanting something with high color and clarity. I have an F VS1 myself and many on here would consider that overkill (though to be fair not for an asscher), but the point is. There is a balance that occurs with the 4 C's of color, clarity, cut quality, and carat weight. And you are weighed so heavy on color and clarity you are really ignoring carat weight. And that really is a HUGE DEAL for most women.

This is a gift. So it is important to consider what the recipient would like. And I REALLY think you should make sure you and your lady are on the same page before you spend this amount of money on a gift for her. You've got a great budget... I just want to make sure you are spending it wisely.

If your lady agrees with you-- FABULOUS! Go for it. The light is GREEN FOR GO.

But until you've snooped around (ask her friends to help you, her sister or cousin or mom) consider yourself on a YELLOW CAUTION, THINK BEFORE PROCEEDING time out.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dandoe123|1316320994|3019896 said:
so after many months, i think i've narrowed my choices down to three. any suggestion/comment would be greatly appreciated in regards to which is a better deal.

Stone #1 -- http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2680218.htm

Carat: .775
Color: D
Depth: 61.5%
Crown angle: 34.9
Price: $7935

Stone #2 -- http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?&pid=LD02226141&builder=BYOR&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP#DIAMONDS_STEP|LD02226141

Carat: .83
Color: E
Depth: 61.6%
Crown angle: 35.0
Price: $9081

i know that there will be people who will suggest that i could get a better value by dropping down on the clarity/color. really gave it much thought and decided that if i'm going to be spending a significant amount of money, i'd like to go with the "best" quality. anyway, along these lines, i believe the one from whiteflash is one of their H&A collection and the one from bluenile is part of their signature collection.

having a hard time deciding if there really is any significant difference between the two to warrant the $1000 difference. would one even be able to realistically tell the difference between 0.775 vs 0.83 carats and D vs E in color?

thanks in advance!

1. Ditto.. are you the recipient? If not, definitely do some poking around to find out what *her* priorities are, and whether or not they match yours. If you are the recipient - good for you for figuring out what *you* think is The Best!

2. You might be able to see the size difference if you had both stones side by side, but once set without that proximal comparison there's just no way you'd remember one as "bigger".

3. In this size, w/ these high colours? Maybe... if you're part eagle and/or walk around with a lightroom grading setup in your pocket.

dandoe123

Rough_Rock
well, i'd like to think that i know her pretty well considering that i've decided that i want to spend the rest of my life with her. from what i've gathered so far, i know she is definitely someone who appreciates quality over size. having said that, i DID "poke" around trying to find out what she'd like... guess i did more than just "poke" around since i pretty much blatantly asked her. :nono:

anyway, her reply was that she'd like something "nice" in the 0.5 - 0.6 carat neighborhood as she thought anything significantly bigger than that would seem a bit "tacky" on her. part of me does feel that she might be worried that i might spend a fortune on her ring if she said she wanted anything bigger.

the main reason why i've decided to choose the several stones that i did was because of my budget. i really don't want to spend anything more than 9-10K for an engagement ring considering that i still have a wedding/honeymoon to pay for. initially, i was looking for something in the 1 carat ball park, but there seemed to be a significant price spike once the size was about 1 carat. with my budget, it seemed as if i had to make quite a sacrifice on quality if i wanted to be able to afford something close to 1 carat. so decided to aim for something around 0.75 carat and focus more on quality.

i definitely should probably try out one of the brick and mortar stores nearby in the diamond district, but my schedule right now doesn't quite give me ample free time to do so. having read many positive reviews about whiteflash and bluenile, i was kinda hoping i could do all this online...

anyway, thanks everyone for your help so far!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can definitely do it all online. If she prefers around 0.75 ct and has not expressed a strong preference for very high clarity and color then I would go with somewhere around G VS2 since you will save even more for your wedding/honeymoon. there will be no visible difference to the naked eye between VVS2 and VS2.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1316328528|3019947 said:
you can definitely do it all online. If she prefers around 0.75 ct and has not expressed a strong preference for very high clarity and color then I would go with somewhere around G VS2 since you will save even more for your wedding/honeymoon. there will be no visible difference to the naked eye between VVS2 and VS2.

Yeah... um, I'm sure there are one or two good vendors there but in my experience you will get a bigger headache BY FAR trying to figure out which is which than just trusting in the reputation of the vendors you are working with (and their return policies) online.

You've talked to her and she wants a smaller stone. SOLD. One other hand... does she want a solitiare or would she prefer you spend 6K on a great G SI stone at .75 points and a unique or custom one of a kind setting?

I'm SO glad you've talked to her. You have no idea how happy I am to know this.

cereal_diamond

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1316329218|3019952 said:
slg47|1316328528|3019947 said:
I'm SO glad you've talked to her. You have no idea how happy I am to know this.

hehe I can only imagine how happy after reading your other post on "A funny thing happened whilst shopping with the missus...." :bigsmile:

I think it's a big price difference and out of the 2 I'd go with WF but like the others said u could drop to G and even VS1/VS2 and make a significant saving towards that wedding and honeymoon. but there are always other factors we consider... n how "YOU" feel (not her) about the stone in terms of clarity and color...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate what you are saying but may I suggest ...

1. Definetly don't find 1 ct tacky and it is a very good size for most people. And for some strange reason ... diamonds tend to look smaller after a while anyways.
2. Even if she doesn't want to go bigger, I think she will be happy if you save some money. VVS is really unnecessary especially in a round. You will save a bunch and not notice the difference if you drop to a VS1. I am still unable to find the inclusions in my VS1 even under a loupe.
3. It is also important for you to go check out colors in ideal cut diamonds in real life. I love high colors and for larger diamonds .. I own an E (but appraisals have come back saying it is closer to a D) and I also own a G. There are many moments where I actually find the E to be too white and looking a bit fake whereas the G is a bit too warm for an e-ring. If I were to do it again, I will likely go for a F.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with WF over BN, here are a couple of other options

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1353437.asp

HCA
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 0.6 - Excellent
within TIC range

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1396549.asp

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent
within TIC range

Call BGD for pricescope discount

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366002

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884001

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051366018

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104052884003

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I like quality and I like size and I think most women would take a little bit higher carat weight and a drop in color/clarity to achieve it. Most women who are about to engaged are not going to completely turn off their future husband by telling them what their true ideal of a ring may be because they think it may make them sound shallow. I say still go for magic mark of about a carat because I doubt she will complain.

With that said if you *truly* believe that she really wants a .5 to .6 and is not just worried about financial constraints and being tacky (which I don't think 1 ct. looks tacky on anyone), then go with your gut. Hopefully, either way she will love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results