shape
carat
color
clarity

And Just Like That…

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outside point of view: the beauty standards in Europe are different and put women under pressure differently (the focus mainly lying on being very thin regardless of one's natural healthy weight). In recent years the gap re. The "plastic look" has become even wider and since I'm not exposed at all to people who use fillers and excessive beauty procedures, I notice immediately and I don't think it enhances the appearance.
I know of very successful Botox or laser treatments , but those are also not the norm and the rule of thumb here is: if you can see it, it's not been successful.

Signs of ageing as long as one is well put together are more accepted.

I know my US friends are shocked by the yellow and crooked teeth everywhere here in Yurrup (they're healthy, we have free basic dental procedures, but bleaching and veneers are super rare). So it's really a questions of teh peer group you're moving in.
And I had exactly the same reaction as missy when I saw Charlotte

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "plastic look" has become even wider and since I'm not exposed at all to people who use fillers and excessive beauty procedures

I think you're exactly right about peers and what becomes normal in your circle. I lived in LA for a few years and that plastic, perpetual mid-40s look was so common it seemed normal. When you get away from it, it stands out again. I think this is how people get into more and more extreme plastic surgery, it just starts to look good to them.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem doesn’t lie with the women who choose to have work done, the problem is aging in a society that does not allow women to age.

BINGO!!!!!

Kristen Davis probably felt like she was between a rock and a hard place. Much of her career was centered around her looks. If she didn’t look young and good and aged gracefull without doing a thing she probably thought her career would be gone. I wish people would quit slamming her. If there is something a woman is unhappy about with her appearance that can be easily tweaked why shouldn’t she do it if it makes her feel good? How is this any different then women who exercising excessively to attain a good figure? Men never get critical comments about their appearance.

Don’t many people put themselves in the public eye by posting endless pictures of themselves on public forums. How would they feel if their looks were being picked apart by people all the time?

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SATC = one of my absolute favorite series, watched it religiously and can quote every single episode... I was literally depressed when it ended.

AJLK = desperately seeking woke, cringey, and difficult to watch.

Kristen Davis has ruined her beautiful face with fillers. She looks like a caricature of her former self.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

Jennifer Grey, who was so wonderful in the movie Dirty Dancing , also with Patrick Swazey, thought that by having plastic surgery done her career would be better. She was prettier, but everyone liked her the way she was in the movie. Her career went downhill.
I loved satc too but haven't seen the new series.+ I admit I look at the faces of celebrities to see if they had a facelift. Some are really good, some aren't. To me tweak is fine, but a while lot of surgery is questionable to me. I look forward to the series.

Annette.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I watched the first episode. That was enough, between the episode's death and the real death of Willie Garson, which is sad. I met him at a Springsteen concert years ago and he was so fun! I just want to see happy and silly on TV these days.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I will join @nala as one of the odd women out. I am watching it, and while I don't love it, I also don't hate it. I'm not sure if I'm totally caught up, but the last episode I watched was the charity auction.

I don't really get the "criticism" that it's "too woke". By including trans/non binary/more non-white folk/pronouns? That's just every day for a lot of people, especially the younger community. I do think some of the characters don't make a ton of sense, for example carrie's atrocious fashion (last episode excluded, that blue dress :kiss2:), and mirandas infidelity. SATC has had tons (like TONS) of non-straight characters, so it's not like it's ever been lacking in that, but I'm not sure turning one of their main characters bi/queer is exactly the right move, though I get the idea. They quite literally broke up over Steve's cheating, so it just doesnt sit "right".

I'll still watch it, as I don't have much else on the go right now lol.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
for example carrie's atrocious fashion

Now we're getting to the meat and potatoes lol!

That's what's been bugging me the most. The lack of fun and whimsy in Carrie's fashions. I know the show opens with a more somber tone and the women are struggling with different issues but waaaahhh I wanna see pretty clothes!!!

Also I didn't like Carrie's pearls. Because I am clearly now an expert from hanging out here :lol:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's what's been bugging me the most. The lack of fun and whimsy in Carrie's fashions. I know the show opens with a more somber tone and the women are struggling with different issues but waaaahhh I wanna see pretty clothes!!!

Also I didn't like Carrie's pearls. Because I am clearly now an expert from hanging out here :lol:

Oh but I do love that she is wearing so many pearls!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was just thinking about this. I know Carrie is quirky and dresses for herself but I found this bag to be ridiculous! :lol:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117-194416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-194416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220117-194416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-194416_Samsung Internet.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 9

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha yes! I read that the previous costume designer moved to Emily in Paris so they have a new person for this reboot.
Miranda is also dressed so matronly for most scenes :razz:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was not a fan of the show so only partly watched couple of episodes. Because of Hollywood’s plastic pressure the stars succumbed. But, based on the show’s characters’ personalities and status in life, would they have had the plastic fantastic interventions?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BINGO!!!!!

Kristen Davis probably felt like she was between a rock and a hard place. Much of her career was centered around her looks. If she didn’t look young and good and aged gracefull without doing a thing she probably thought her career would be gone. I wish people would quit slamming her. If there is something a woman is unhappy about with her appearance that can be easily tweaked why shouldn’t she do it if it makes her feel good? How is this any different then women who exercising excessively to attain a good figure? Men never get critical comments about their appearance.

Don’t many people put themselves in the public eye by posting endless pictures of themselves on public forums. How would they feel if their looks were being picked apart by people all the time?

This. So much.

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
I started watching the SATC series again because I wanted to relive it from the beginning. It’s fun to watch the progression of the characters and the fashion. It really feels like I’m hanging out with old friends.

I have been really surprised to see such a lack of fun fashion in the reboot, but I’m hopeful we’ll get something good in the last few episodes. Seema had a Lanvin bag in the latest episode that gave me a little boost!

I did read that there is a Writers Room podcast for the reboot. I may check it out to get a little more detail directly from the writers regarding some of the decisions made.

Regarding Kristin Davis, I will say that I was initially a bit surprised by her look, however, it was really no different than how I was surprised by the changes in the other actors/actresses as well. I found this article to be quite enlightening about Kristin Davis:

Regarding Che, I don’t like the character at all. It has nothing to do with them being non-binary, but rather because they just seem to be a “player” that is taking advantage of Miranda’s situation.

How does everyone feel about Charlotte not apologizing to Harry?

00D895FB-443F-4EFE-A5EE-E625F945E133.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have only watched a few episodes but I know she has an affair. And yeah if she isnt apologizing to Harry that is unacceptable. In fact the entire affair is unacceptable. It isn't OK if the husband does it and it isn't OK if the wife does it.

And to go a step further it is out of character for the Charlotte we have come to know from SATC. But people change and wow has she ever. Not in a good way.

If one is unhappy in their relationship/marriage one should discus with their partner. Not seek out an affair with someone else. Not cool. Yeah I am judging.

Disappointing all around. Maybe the show will get better. Maybe it won't. Time will tell.
Maybe it is time to re watch SATC. :)

For the few who are upset about us discussing her appearance. Here is what Kristin Davis had to say during an interview about it.

"
'I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to say that [beauty standards] don't concern me or that I don’t think about them, but on the other hand, I feel stronger in who I am and that my body is my body and a lot of people love my body.'

Kristin continued: 'Maybe there are people who don’t, but that’s always going to be the case. Don’t even give it weight. It is what it is, and you’re never going to please everyone.

'The truth is that it’s just part of our job. It’s a visual job, and it’s tough. You have to hear everyone else discuss it, in print, too.

"

She seems to be fine with it and good for her. You have to have a tough skin being in show business, period. That is why it isn't for everyone. Like it or not that is a fact. ::)

kristindavis.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started watching the SATC series again because I wanted to relive it from the beginning. It’s fun to watch the progression of the characters and the fashion. It really feels like I’m hanging out with old friends.

I have been really surprised to see such a lack of fun fashion in the reboot, but I’m hopeful we’ll get something good in the last few episodes. Seema had a Lanvin bag in the latest episode that gave me a little boost!

I did read that there is a Writers Room podcast for the reboot. I may check it out to get a little more detail directly from the writers regarding some of the decisions made.

Regarding Kristin Davis, I will say that I was initially a bit surprised by her look, however, it was really no different than how I was surprised by the changes in the other actors/actresses as well. I found this article to be quite enlightening about Kristin Davis:

Regarding Che, I don’t like the character at all. It has nothing to do with them being non-binary, but rather because they just seem to be a “player” that is taking advantage of Miranda’s situation.

00D895FB-443F-4EFE-A5EE-E625F945E133.jpeg

Not apologizing to Harry- felt like fake drama to me. Ugh. Really stretching it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy You should catch up! What you've written isn't what happened.

@GCGDanielle I agree re: che being a player. And I also find it disrespectful to smoke SO MUCH around other people. It would be the height of rudeness to light a cigarette in an elevator, let alone weed! As for not apologizing, I think it fit with the storyline of the other couple. I don't think its particularly healthy (not apologizing to your partner), but I assumed she was making a point on why they don't play together lol.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now I'm really glad I didn't continue watching it! Miranda and Charlotte have affairs? Can the writers not think of an original storyline? Or are they trying to incorporate the orientations of Cynthia Nixon and Sara Ramirez? Also, it seems very unlike Charlotte to ever cheat on Harry! Lame.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy You should catch up! What you've written isn't what happened.

I have mixed feelings but yeah I probably will watch at least another episode or two. I have fond memories of their characters from SATC so that is enough for me to want to watch. For now. :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I just read this article. The AJLT cast are very close to the same age as the cast of The Golden Girls during the first season!

Screenshot_20220120-203553_Chrome.jpg

Wow that’s amazing but no way was Blanche 47! Still when I was watching the Golden girls I thought they were older than in their 50s. Because they all were retired and living in what seemed like a retirement type community. Even back then many people did not retire until after 60 years old!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that’s amazing but no way was Blanche 47! Still when I was watching the Golden girls I thought they were older than in their 50s. Because they all were retired and living in what seemed like a retirement type community. Even back then many people did not retire until after 60 years old!

I recall that in one episode Blanche suspected that she was pregnant! Im
Like wtf! Isn’t she retired and 60? Turns out it was the onset of menopause!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Let's see...

Carrie is still all about Carrie.. nothing has changed [although they ripped my heart right out from the jump episode #1-I hate pelaton].

Miranda pisses me off. It's almost like they said "hey want us to write your biography instead of what the real character traits are? ok! you got it. Her story lines just keep getting worse. Like we need to be exposed to her teen banging his girlfriend in the basement, her all of a sudden not knowing how to act in public, and oh let's just go for the jugular, all of a sudden she's bi. And let's not forget the alcoholic storyline.

I want to smack Charlotte. [clearing my throat to sing] "me me me meeee...me me me meeee]. JM&J. I think I made it to episode 5? it sucks, it just really sucks.

My favorite scenes involve Samantha and she's not even on the show. The flowers, and the texting about Carries radio show comment while on pain killers.

Thank you for letting me vent! [mic drop].

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I just read this article. The AJLT cast are very close to the same age as the cast of The Golden Girls during the first season!

It's a misleading title. I was super surprised and confused until I read it on another thread that clarified the characters on GG are the ages of AJLT, not the actresses.

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
I am a SATC junkie. I have seen all the episodes at least 15 times. I have even watched the movies more than once! I am enjoying this series just because I am so familiar with the characters.

I knew what was going to happen in episode 1 as soon as Lilly started playing Beethoven on the piano. (Big quoted Beethoven to Carrie when they got married—”Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours.”)

Miranda was my favorite character. I don’t like that they have decided that the woman with a good career, a child, and a happy marriage had been pretending all this time.

I loved seeing Carrie‘s clothes from the show in the most recent episode. The poncho Lilly was wearing is from season 1.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results