shape
carat
color
clarity

And Just Like That…

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
Is anyone watching the new show on HBO Max? It’s the “updated” Sex and the City, minus Kim Cattrall (Samantha). I’ve watched all of the episodes to date (7 so far). Just curious what everyone thinks of the show.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only saw the first one and don't have an opinion yet. If I watch more, I'll come back and give you my thoughts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m watching and am disappointed. My husband and I loved the original show “Sex and the City” and watched it every Sunday night. This sequel IMO sucks. In fact I may not continue watching and am certainly not asking Greg to watch with me should I continue. For sentimentality‘s sake I want to give it a chance but so far no thanks.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been watching it…satc. was always junk food for my soul, lol. Not like I ever looked to the show for anything other than entertainment— so it is exactly as I expected…very reflective of the times

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I haven’t yet but I am prepared to be disappointed bc I loved the series, but the films weren’t great; second film was AWFUL. I also keep thinking about what Sarah Jessica Parker said when they ended the series at season six despite the fact that it was hugely popular. In more than one interview she something to the effect “you want to leave a party when it’s still going and not at the very end when nobody’s there.” And here we are. And without Samantha!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m watching and am disappointed. My husband and I loved the original show “Sex and the City” and watched it every Sunday night. This sequel IMO sucks. In fact I may not continue watching and am certainly not asking Greg to watch with me should I continue. For sentimentality‘s sake I want to give it a chance but so far no thanks.

This is exactly how I feel. Very disappointed and watching this one (albeit reluctantly) alone :/

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed the original show and I actually really enjoyed both movies, too, and could never understand why everyone panned them. But I've moved on from the characters, it's been years now, so I have no plans to watch it. A big part of that is the absence of Kim Cattrall. I think she really helped to make it.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who finds it quite sad that the girls' lives seemed pretty fun in their 30s and suck in their 50s? Miranda! Wow, just quit your marriage for a complete jerk? Carrie? Still a narcissistic and now not even having fun (or sex!). Charlotte - too boring to even comment. Betcha Samantha (and Kim Cattrall) is glad to be out of the quad!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one who finds it quite sad that the girls' lives seemed pretty fun in their 30s and suck in their 50s? Miranda! Wow, just quit your marriage for a complete jerk? Carrie? Still a narcissistic and now not even having fun (or sex!). Charlotte - too boring to even comment. Betcha Samantha (and Kim Cattrall) is glad to be out of the quad!!!

Nope you’re not the only one. It *is* sad. And it’s very distracting looking at their faces and what they did to them. Miranda is the only one imo who looks good. Natural. Charlotte. Omg.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
What's driving me crazy is from scene to scene Miranda's wig and hair color keeps changing. They made such a big deal about her hair going grey then she's in an obvious wig.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i used to watch it with my then boyfriend's mother, it was funny in a shocking way back then
but apart from Charlotte i dont think they were very nice girls -although Samatha was my favourite character
i remember an eposode that was about Marrander having a boyfrined who had a lessser job that she
he- who became her hubbie only worked in a bookstore
that attitude disgusted me as i am a humble shop assistant too
i never watched it regularly after that, if it was on, it was on, but if i never sought it out

and then latter on Marrander had to move to Brooklyn
they were all horrible horrible snobs (i liked the Brooklyn mother in law becuase she seemed like a real person)

i kind of enjoyed the first movie as we went as a big work group, i was sad that Samantha and her man broke up
but the second one was completly tone deaf especially how is came out during the GFC

its only on a streaming service here and not one i subscribe to so i guess i wont be watching the reboot

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The old show was fun, modern and stylish at the time.

I was looking forward to more of that but they're whining and mentioning Samantha every 5 minutes. And the handling of race and gender issues is so clumsy and overdone. Do these women live in a bubble? Or is it just the writers?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The old show was fun, modern and stylish at the time.

I was looking forward to more of that but they're whining and mentioning Samantha every 5 minutes. And the handling of race and gender issues is so clumsy and overdone. Do these women live in a bubble? Or is it just the writers?

At some point I was questioning if I was watching a satire about our woke new world. Then I stopped being cynical and applauded them for trying to be more inclusive. Not like they ever developed any characters well to begin with.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope you’re not the only one. It *is* sad. And it’s very distracting looking at their faces and what they did to them. Miranda is the only one imo who looks good. Natural. Charlotte. Omg.

I think none of them have had any work done. Their faces reflect their age and they keep getting insulted by ageists bc they are natural. I appreciate that.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

But to be fair .., the premise was SEX and the city back then. Miranda is the only one getting it now, lol, and people are being super critical about it. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed the original show and I actually really enjoyed both movies, too, and could never understand why everyone panned them. But I've moved on from the characters, it's been years now, so I have no plans to watch it. A big part of that is the absence of Kim Cattrall. I think she really helped to make it.
It was like a high school reunion for me! Don’t miss Kim, tbh. I don’t know that all the ageists out there would appreciate her sleeping around at her age—given they are soo highly critical of all the others for just looking their age.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
At some point I was questioning if I was watching a satire about our woke new world. Then I stopped being cynical and applauded them for trying to be more inclusive. Not like they ever developed any characters well to begin with.

This is so true. We don't empathize with the characters because we don't know much about them beyond their odd behavior.

Also, how stunning are SJPs legs??? That scene of her back in heels reminded me of the scene from the old show where she find her necklace again. I don't always like Carrie but I was happy for her in that moment.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved loved loved the old show. It was so fun and I've seen every season at least 3 times!!! I'm a huge fan.

AJLT...I lasted 3 eps. Woke and preachy with bad writing. I don't need or want this!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think none of them have had any work done. Their faces reflect their age and they keep getting insulted by ageists bc they are natural. I appreciate that.

Sorry I respectfully disagree. Kristin Davis has had fillers put into her face. Her lips and her cheeks are distorted.
Is it my business? No, But since we are discussing the show and sharing our feelings I shared mine. And I don't think it is flattering. If she was just looking her age good for her. But she's not. And again it is her business completely. She has to do what she feels is best. But when one is in the public eye it is just a fact people are going to comment. Is that something I would want to be the focus of? No way. But I am not in the public eye.

And it doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not. Just wanted to respond to your post to me @nala

"Dr. Somenek notes what is most likely causing the new appearance to her face is volume enhancement in the form of fillers.
“Her cheeks appear to be overfilled creating a rather distorted appearance to her eyes and making her face look much wider than her traditionally slimmer face from the past,” he says. "Her lips have been injected which is why they have a somewhat stiff appearance when she is smiling. Alternatively she may have also gotten a lip lift to elevate her upper lip."

Michigan-based plastic surgeon Anthony Youn agrees that Davis' face "does appear to be changing."
"I suspect that she's had injections of filler into her cheeks and smile lines to plump and smooth them out, respectively," he says. "This may be giving her face the somewhat 'stiff' appearance that you are seeing. She may also have undergone injections of Botox into her forehead, causing it to look smooth."
But for fans freaking out, her new look may not be permanent. "I suspect that in a few months these treatments will settle down and she will look more like the Kristin we know and love," he assures.

"

She is a beautiful person and I hope when the fillers fade she lets herself be natural. I bet anything she is still beautiful without the fillers. JMO.

And FWIW I love getting older and I never judge someone based on their age. But yes for those in the public eye I will comment if I want to about what work they have had done. That doesn't make me ageist. That makes me a realist. :)

And those women doing plastic surgery etc are setting up unrealistic expectations for our daughters and all future generations if you ask me. It is not healthy for our children to have role models who have no wrinkles and perfect everything. It sets our kids up for unrealistic goals and perhaps issues further down the line. Those doing the plastic surgery might be considered more ageist than I.

I am all for aging as one sees fit. I do not believe if one ages naturally they cannot be beautiful. Quite the opposite in fact. But you do you and I will do me.

"The truth is that there is a unique beauty to a woman at every stage of her life, from new-born to adolescent, through pubescence, adulthood and beyond. When women stop committing agism against each other and themselves, others will follow suit and our great granddaughters can grow up in a pro-age society."

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I never intended to imply that you were an ageist—I was referring to all of the interviews that these ladies have given recently in regard to that matter.
To me, these ladies look authentic. All you have to do is compare them to JLO for example, who is constantly posting filtered pics and has tons of articles written about her and how ageless she appears—she is the celebrity who places unrealistic expectations on others. She sells an anti-aging line, of course. I guess I find these ladies refreshing and didn’t suspect they had any work done. There is even one episode in this series in which Carrie gets mistaken for being a face lift client, lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I never intended to imply that you were an ageist—I was referring to all of the interviews that these ladies have given recently in regard to that matter.
To me, these ladies look authentic. All you have to do is compare them to JLO for example, who is constantly posting filtered pics and has tons of articles written about her and how ageless she appears—she is the celebrity who places unrealistic expectations on others. She sells an anti-aging line, of course. I guess I find these ladies refreshing and didn’t suspect they had any work done. There is even one episode in this series in which Carrie gets mistaken for being a face lift client, lol.

Thanks @nala. I agree the media is brutal. Just brutal.
And I agree with you that yes relative to JLO and others it is refreshing not to have filters used. I was just discussing this with a friend last night. I don't know how to use filters but when people do use them IMO it looks a bit off. Not real. Airbrushed to the max.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carrie was relatable to me when I was in my thirties. Now she (and the others) are just wealthy, uptight 50 somethings with mean streaks. When I saw Carrie wearing a giant Kentucky Derby hat in her empty kitchen I knew I was done watching.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to add one more thought if I may.
It seems to me we (general we not specific) have become somewhat desensitized to the appearance post plastic surgery.

You know, just look at many of the RHO shows...swollen lower lip (aka trout pout), pulled look, rock hard breasts, frozen forehead, pillow face, pinched nasal tip, unnatural proportions, neck and face don't match, exaggerated features.

It's almost like it is the new norm. At least from my perspective. We are used to it and therefore desensitized somewhat to it and it's become the new norm of beauty. Not in my eyes but in my observations of the perceptions of others.

In all the photos I prefer the before. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Though I challenge that we have become desensitized to the plastic surgery look and many do accept it as the new norm and find it beautiful. I do not.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Yes, the large lips and chipmunk cheeks have become the norm, possibly thanks to Instagram and its filters. And everybody looks the same!

It seems to me that fillers never work. Yes, they might smooth your wrinkles, but in doing so, they make your face twice the size and obscure your bone structure! Courtney Cox is a great example. She ruined her beautiful face. She had lovely bone structure and she'd have been best off letting it show, even if she had some wrinkles. She'd still have looked beautiful as she aged, imo. Now her face looks all wrong.

My dental hygienist had fillers. She, too, had lovely bone structure, but when I saw her after she had it done, her face was enormous compered to before, and her high cheekbones were totally obscured. Yes, she had fewer wrinkles, but the net result was a negative, imo.

I suppose a small amount of filler might be helpful for some people. It's just that many seem to end up with pillow-face.

Edit: I have rather thin lips, and a few times I've idly wondered about lip fillers. But it's really expensive, doesn't last, and sounds painful. I also think that our natural proportions when it comes to lips are usually the most harmonious. So I decided to make the most of what I've got instead, and I had fun investing in flattering lipsticks and lip glosses.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Women should be able to make changes if there are unhappy or uncomfortable about something with their appearance. It is ridiculous to assume others have a right to make judgements. It’s no one‘s business. if you don’t want plastic surgery, Botox or fillers, then don’t get them. Aren’t women tired of judging other women on their appearance?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting scientific study.
Its conclusions are not surprising.

"
The findings of the current study showed that lower ratings of self-esteem and life satisfaction, increased media exposure to cosmetic surgery via television shows, time spent watching television and religiosity were all significant predictors of the likelihood of undergoing cosmetic surgery.

"The current study showed that self-esteem was negatively associated with the likelihood of undergoing cosmetic surgery. Individuals with low self-esteem may be more willing to have cosmetic alteration to improve their own self-perceptions, thus boosting their self-esteem, although it is unclear whether that will indeed occur. Individuals with exceptionally low self-esteem and low life satisfaction may, in fact, suffer from depression, meaning that cognitive therapy, as opposed to cosmetic surgery, would be more beneficial. Most plastic surgeons are acutely aware of patients whose hope for the effects of surgery is unrealistic and could, in time, lead both to litigation and increased depression.

Those who consumed more media believed that cosmetic surgery brought more benefits

"

I believe one should do whatever makes one feel better about themselves as long as they aren't hurting others (and hopefully not hurting themselves). I wonder how many have surgery for reasons other than pleasing themselves though.

How many do it because of depression and low self esteem and as the article states low life satisfaction? Also about 7-12% of people undergoing plastic surgery have body dysmorphic disorder. Several studies show that 7 to 12 percent of plastic surgery patients have some form of BDD. Plus, the majority of BDD patients who have cosmetic surgery do not experience improvement in their BDD symptoms. In fact many end up asking multiple procedures on the same or other body features.

And lastly, I am concerned about the effect this strive for "perfection" is having on future generations. Because make no mistake it certainly does. There are strong cultural pressures that are so unrealistic in terms of how we're supposed to look and it does affect the younger generation negatively.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem doesn’t lie with the women who choose to have work done, the problem is aging in a society that does not allow women to age.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem doesn’t lie with the women who choose to have work done, the problem is aging in a society that does not allow women to age.

Exactly. :(
The women are brainwashed into thinking they need plastic surgery to be acceptable. The change has to start with us. We will never be able to convince society to change but we can do it one person at a time. We are good enough, no perfect, as we are. IMO.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. :(
The women are brainwashed into thinking they need plastic surgery to be acceptable. The change has to start with us. We will never be able to convince society to change but we can do it one person at a time. We are good enough, no perfect, as we are. IMO.

The double standards for women are insane. I never hear a single word about how a man put on weight or got older (no need for anyone to show me examples of this ever occurring; I’m sure it does, but it’s NOT the norm). I heavily considered Botox and lip injections last year. I hate my thin lips and see a new wrinkle every time I look in the mirror. Ultimately I decided that trying to stop the clock on my face is just getting onto a hamster wheel I don’t want to be on, and shouldn’t have to be on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results