shape
carat
color
clarity

An interesting new take on diamond cutting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Who needs fancy colored diamonds? Good cutting and hyperspace physics makes all the difference.

http://www.dianasun.com/english.html

Quoting from the tutorial:
In order to achieve blue, green, and purple colors in the diamond, the red-yellow colors of the longer wavelength are filtered out. This is possible with the Diana Sun cut, which is structured in a way such that the rays move in a spiral motion within the stone; whereas the Round Brilliant cut is structured so that the rays would reflect in straight lines.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you seen one of these?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting...it seems that the "filtering" would come from having precise angles of incidence where the longer wavelengths would have an angles of incidence inside the critical angle for those specific wavelengths, thus exiting the diamond at the pavilion, but that the shorter wavelengths would have angles of incidence outside the critical angle for their wavelengths and thus be reflected/refracted off the pavilion and up through the crown.

From the cut diagram it looks like the pavilion is very deep, so there might be a long enough light path for enough refraction to occur by the time it gets to the pavilion to make this feasable.

Is this the idea?

The "spiral" thing is gobbledegook (marketing) language, in my opinion.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have asked some technical questions and hope to get some answers. It seems extraordinary to think these are relatively colorless diamonds that alter the perceived color by how they are cut...... We''ll see what we find out. Right now, iit sounds a little or a lot incredible.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The picture looked so deep. I wonder how much light leakage there would be. Plus who wants to pay for a 1ct diamond that faces up like a .75 or smaller? Just a consumer point of veiw.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/1/2005 1:05:53 PM
Author: Matatora
The picture looked so deep. I wonder how much light leakage there would be. Plus who wants to pay for a 1ct diamond that faces up like a .75 or smaller? Just a consumer point of veiw.

Who would pay for a 1ct diamond that faces up like a .75? Someone who wants a blue diamond but doesn''t want to pay a gazillion bucks for it. I could imagine this becoming trendy with C-list celebs who want something different but don''t quite have Paris Hilton''s budget. As a fashion it could be a huge hit or just sink without trace, but the marketing seems to be working hard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results