shape
carat
color
clarity

An antique target ring-somebody’s heirloom

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
some may have seen me venting about a recent eBay purchase failing authentication. I wanted to share my experience here and the end result.
Earlier this month I purchased a ring from a private individual on eBay. Not a “seller” or “shop”. She provided me an appraisal and additional photos of the true antique diamond ring. As most individual sellers do, she listed the ring in such a way that triggered the automatic authentication process. The ring did not pass. Without asking me - they returned it. Now I understand if something is misrepresenting itself- for example, something claiming to be Tiffany or Cartier that isn’t… but what I deeply wish eBay would understand is that slight variations on antique estate jewelry is normal and expected in the estate buying world. Minute variations from the listing should require the buyer be informed and given the opinion to still buy the piece. That was not offered to me.
The seller was so upset, and justifiably. I would have been irate if , say, it was an auction and I had to go through the whole bidding process again with no guarantee of winning the second time around.
After discussing with the seller- I was able to buy it again. Included in my purchase was the appraisal and a sweet note explaining the ring was in fact a treasured 25th anniversary present from her recently deceased husband of over 50 years. She had to part with the ring due to his mounting medical bills. This broke my heart- last thing she needed was an ordeal with selling, too.
the center is a la round 6.5mm, appraised as an I color. Clarity is lovely.
i am glad to have gotten a chance to purchase something that was well loved and to continue its legacy as an heirloom for another family :) 9BDFEA39-5449-4FBA-BFDE-652518A5FA27.jpeg IMG_5331.jpeg IMG_5334.jpeg IMG_5333.jpeg IMG_5281.jpeg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is truly a beautiful ring & I read your nightmare with the authentication process, so I am happy to read that you got it in the end. It’s really pretty & I am glad you can add to its history.

The note about the lady selling it made my heart achy. The poor woman. I hope she manages to settle her bills & find some peace with the loss of her husband. It’s awful that she has to sell her treasures in order to do so, though.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring, and such a bittersweet story. I saw her letter on your IG. Made me all teary-eyed.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It is a lovely ring and look at those high crowns! I am glad that you were able to re-buy the piece despite the debacle. How did that work? Did she change the description and did it have to go through authentication again?

And I agree with you - eBay needs to CALL THE BUYER and give them a chance to buy anyway! Once they did call me because there were some initials carved in the ring that was not disclosed. I was able to say "that's fine, I want it anyway". If it's a gold ring that had a little platinum (I believe that is what your situation was) they absolutely should have called you. Gosh, some pieces described as 14k are probably a hodgepodge of 12, 13 and 16k so depending on where they test it could fail!

Anyway gorgeous piece and I do feel bad for this woman and makes me angry at the healthcare system in the US but that is a whole different discussion!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beautiful ring full of love
may the money help that lady

i think its nice you now have a personal connection with the lady and she did not just take it to a dealer

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t get better than the blue on those sapphires, between those and all the old cuts, absolutely divine.

So glad it worked out for you in the end. EBay is not doing themselves any favors by making buyers and sellers crazy, they are not the only game in town like when they first came on the scene.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an utterly spectacular ring. :love: You always find the best pieces, Niel!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
This is so beautiful and what a story to go with it. I am glad it will continue to be treasured and that it helps this poor woman out.

Enjoy wearing your spectacular ring!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It’s spectacular!! I’m sure you’ll give her the loving home its OG owner wished. So sad she had to sell to pay medical expenses.
eBay authentication sounds awful but happy you were able to secure this beautiful ring!! Love it @Niel

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I love what you said about continuing the legacy. How wonderful for both you and the seller that you were so persistent!
Send more pictures, please.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Another beauty-this one may be my new fave!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
YUP, jealous.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ridiculous. Abso-fricken-lutely ridiculous.

Your journey with this ring and eBay was *bad* ridiculous.

This ring, holy hell and all things wonderful, this ring.. is *phenomenal* ridiculous.

I hope you wear her forever. Congratulations on this new addition!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really lovely and super-well executed -- easy to believe it's an original period piece. Well done, and enjoy!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a gorgeous addition to your collection and seems to fit right in. ❤️

I’m so glad that you were able to work it out with the seller. She definitely didn’t need the added stress brought on by eBay :x2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring and such a sweet story. Did ebay ever tell her why it failed their process? Would just be interested to know what their process consists of for antique jewelry. Whatever it is, they missed the boat on this ring! It is gorgeous and I am so glad it worked out for both of you.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
That is so beautiful! I love the color of the sapphires. I’m glad that it eventually worked out but I’m sorry that she and you had to go through that stress.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring and such a sweet story. Did ebay ever tell her why it failed their process? Would just be interested to know what their process consists of for antique jewelry. Whatever it is, they missed the boat on this ring! It is gorgeous and I am so glad it worked out for both of you.

No you have to call and ask why it fails. They don’t tell you automatically. It’s my understanding that the process started with shoes where either they’re real or fake. The idea that something may be misidentified but still hold the same value doesn’t really apply in that area of collecting.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad you pursued it in spite of Ebay and it not passing the authentication process. Sad that the seller had to part with it but I am sure she it is happy that it will be in a great home cherishing it as she did. It is gorgeous

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful piece! I saw your post on IG with the sweet note. That would make me love it even more!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I'm so sorry ebay made things difficult! But the ring is wonderful and I hope the sale made things easier for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results