shape
carat
color
clarity

Amsterdam - first timer advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carolyn

Rough_Rock
Hi All. I'm glad I stumbled across this site. I'm looking for some (independent) advice from the experts.

My partner and I live in the UK. The Other Half wants to take me to Amsterdam to choose a diamond for my engagement ring and to have it set while we are there.

After doing some reading on the web, I think I'm leaning towards a tension setting.

Any advice for a novice? (I've been reading up on the 4C's and will take my notes with me!) Any recommendations on where to go, how not to get ripped off etc? Also on a more techie note, what type of cut diamond would look it's best in a tension setting.

Many thanks in advance
Carolyn

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Don’t want to scare you though. Do your homework and compare the prices (apple to apple).

Consider buying via the ‘net as a possible alternative:

[/u][/u][/u][/u]

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not know if diamonds are cheaper there, but I suspect it is a tourist trap as there has been only a very small cutting industry in Amsterdam since the 30's.
Make sure you do not put a diamond with a thin girdle in a tension setting.

Carolyn

Rough_Rock
Oh no. I'm even more nervous now! :errrr:
If we buy goods outside the UK we will save 17.5%. Quite a bit! But this would clearly be the case for purchases over the internet too.
I don't want to rain on his parade. But I don't want us to get stiched up either! :angryfire:
b/f wants us to go to a diamond house to sit with someone to buy this diamond. Is this going to be a really bad idea in Amsterdam, or should we be heading to Antwerp? Or should we just give up the idea go to London or purchase over the Net?

Many thanks folks.
Carolyn

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I think you can go and have a very good time there. Just be cool and do preliminary research of the prices in the internet.

If you have some budget, carat, color and clarity in mind, check what is available in the internet and print it out for you reference.

I've heard about one Englishman who flew to New York to pick up a diamond he bought in the internet. It was worth the money he saved. :)

damgamfam

Rough_Rock
Hi Carolyn, I'm in the UK too and I'm not sure who the Englishman Leonid is referring to but my fiance flew over to NY to get my stone for me :)

The thing about the 17.5% VAT is that even if you buy things over the internet, you have to pay the VAT on some items and I think that diamonds and jewellery are not exempt. (At least this is what we got told when we called up the customs people)

Anyhow, depending on how much you are spending on the purchase, you might well be better off flying over to NY or wherever you are thinking of purchasing the diamond. My fiance only flew over for the weekend and stayed in a budget hotel, after all he wasn't there on holiday, he was on a mission.:bigsmile: In the end, the savings on tax more than paid for his trip.

I think it'd be great, if you have the opportunity, to go to a store and physically see all the different stones rather than solely online. I would have loved to have gone as well but alas, I couldn't get away.

Well, no matter what, the most important thing is having fun during this whole diamond purchasing process ;))

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Hi Carolyn,

If you buy within Europe you always pay VAT. No tax free.

If you go to New York and buy tax free and avoid VAT you need to smuggle the stone in UK. Are you up to it?

Its better if you find a dealer in you own town and tell him to sell the stone to you under the counter ( sorry I do not know the right idiom In English) :)

Seriously speaking its more important to you to find right stone in right price, not to avoid tax.

I doubt you find any good deal in Amsterdam.
But Bölser's are tasty. :)

S

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results