shape
carat
color
clarity

Amsterdam Beware!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lajewelman

Rough_Rock
my conclusion concerning my overpaying for a diamond was confirmed today. First in the downtown LA jewelry center (where there are thousands of wholesalers) and second on this fine BB of astute diamond professionals.Many hear that this sinful city is the diamond trade capital of europe and some claim it to be in the world...well, i feel it is my duty to other diamond seekers to inform them of the pitfalls of purchasing diamond in amsterdam. Simple advice, DO NOT! Now that the internet in such a short time has revolutionized the purchase of everything (including diamonds) there is no need to purchase diamonds at full retail in any store whether here or out of the country. Dont be mislead by people telling you that diamonds are cheaper overseas.If you go to amsterdam, avoid the diamonds and the windows adorned by red lights and filled with ugly women.this is a great site, BTW, i just wish i found it earlier. anyone know where i can dump a very nice overpriced diamond to attempt to recapture my error?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
L one of my best freinds visited A and wennt with some male freinds to a diamond house. The very attractive sales woman offered to throw in some extra (free) entertainment (her place or his) if he purchased a very expensive diamond for his lovely wife back home in Oz.
I promptly notified this new sales closing technique to some of my very attractive sales associates in my 2 stores. Unfortunately non seem that commited to such rapid advancement of their careers.Amsterdam is not the diamond trade place - it is Antwerp, and you have noticed - there are many instances of less expensive markets than where goods are mined, made or manufactured.
Garry H

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I would agree that the best deals on diamonds can be found in the United States. Here consumers also have the best protection from unscrupulous dealers, etc.There are excellent deals and availability of well-cut diamonds on the internet. Be careful when comparing that you are comparing "apples" to "apples". In other words, compare stones with grading reports from the same lab and consider that better cut diamonds generally cost more. I don't know what you were seeing in the jewelry mart, but from what I have heard, the goods sold there are often cheaper but inferior.I would disagree that there is no place for the brick and mortar diamond dealer though. Some people really enjoy sitting down with a knowledgable dealer who will give a good education and allow the customer to see and compare diamonds in person. Your local jeweler, if he/she really knows what he/she is doing, can be a very valuable resource. It is also great to have a local jeweler for settings, cleanings, repairs, etc.This is a matter of preference.Without a doubt, the best education in diamonds is available on the internet.As far as selling your diamond, there are a number of ways to go. Each demands that you protect yourself in certain ways. Selling to another consumer may be the best way to get the maximum for your diamond-you have to make sure you get your money. Does your diamond have a lab grading report?lawmax

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a good idea...It would be interesting to compare the two-keep us posted if you can please.
smile.gif
lawmax

lajewelman

Rough_Rock
yes, it is certified by the Amsterdam diamond laboratory (ADL) where i purchased the stone. However, this really means nothing compared to the GIA. i am trying to get the stone GIA certified.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results