shape
carat
color
clarity

Ampa chrome tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Just got a pic of a stone my buddy george cut for me. It's an ampa chrome tourmaline from orrissa, India. Bright pink or red under chelsea filter which denotes a high chromium content. A report found in the archives by another member on another forum states that the dravites from this location have the highest chorium content of any tourmaline ever tested. He debated on what color to cut the stone..from one angle it was a cognac color, another angle and reddish fire type color, and another angle a greenish type color. A pretty rare stone as I know of no other people here in the US that have the rough or a cut stone from this location. I have a few pieces of rough left that we are going to cut and shoot for some different color..I just put a 14ct. piece of eyeclean rough up on ebay with an orange color one direction and a champagne color on the other direction(actually this evening I will put it up). Weird stuff...what do you guys think...George took this photo yesterday evening in the setting sun and he was not happy with the pic..when I recieve the stone I will put up some more pics with a little more time to get the shot...thoughts????? 1.95ct.

ampa cut.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone. Is he able to take a picture of the stone from different angles to showcase the orange and champagne shades?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s good to have for the collector, but to be honest (and I know you love honesty Amguy), it reminds me of citrine. Not a bad thing if you like citrine, but citrine is an inexpensive stone.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep, i like it, shape and color, the champagney color kinda looks like a citrine but i'm sure it doesn't have near of an obvious tilt window if any as a citrine does.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL I was waiting for you to chime in TL..the color dodn''t turn out as good as we thought..the angle on the pleochorism is a little off or it lost color in cutting. The cut style is called alien outpost..cool name..pretty cool design....hey go to ebay and type in ampa chrome tourmaline and check out the color on that rough I put up using the white paper test..champagne one direction orangish color the other direction..I also have some of the same rough with a strong red color in one direction and a cognac color in the other direction..definetly a collectors stone..it was a 17ct piece of rough but in the cutting process a flaw turned up and it had to be made into two stones with this being the first one..just a different color for tourmaline..hey TL please tell me you wouldn''t compare a rubellite I post to an alamandine garnet
9.gif
Thanks for the input

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might look citrine-ish but I haven't seen a citrine with such brilliance and sparkle.

Alien Outpost? I thought it's just a trilliant with the ends cut off.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results