shape
carat
color
clarity

Amora vs. Asha

deco1

Rough_Rock
In 2002, we purchased an Asha princess cut for my e-ring. We took it to a high-end jeweler to choose a setting and shocked everyone, including the diamond buyer who was called over, when we told them it wasn't a diamond.

It has no double refraction, hint of green, stain or any other issue i've seen discussed here regarding Moissanite. It's been years since I'd been on the BTD site, but I looked yesterday and saw that they've eliminated most of the technical information provided about the Asha when we bought it. I suppose that may have something to do with the need to distinguish between Asha and Amora, as there was no Amora back then.

Three years ago I took some of my jewelry, including the Asha, to another jeweler in order to trade it in towards an eternity ring. They too thought it was a diamond.

The only apparent difference between the Asha and a diamond is weight -- the Asha's much heavier. But it's not at all obvious on initial examination.

I can't understand why people are spending money on moissanite for the modern cuts when Asha is so affordable. I have yet to see a moissanite that looks anywhere near as diamond-like. What am I missing? :confused: Thanks!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think a lot of folks have had issues with the coating coming off. Also, Asha is quite expensive for what it is, a CZ. It’s relatively hard, but still only an 8.5 on the mohs scale, which some consumers might find too “soft” for everyday wear.

With the Chinese moissanite becoming more popular, a lot of people will opt for that IMO. I can get a 7.5mm G-H H&A plus two 5.5mm G-H H&A for under $200 and that includes shipping. About a third of Asha. I can see where it would be a substantial savings compared to North American moissanite vendors though!

You should post pics of your stone! I researched them before deciding on moissanite but couldn’t find too many pics/reviews.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I, personally, like the Asha (or even Wink’s old CZs before the cutter stopped cutting them I think) better than Amora Gem or Moissanite. I need to see a H&A C&C moissanite before I make my final decision but so far am unimpressed with moissanite myself. The moissanite facets don’t “flicker” quite as “hyper” and clearly as a diamond, the facets of a well cut CZ do flicker like a diamond. There is a little windowing in the side tilt of a CZ but I feel if cut well, it is not so bad. For rings I can swap out regularly I don’t mind CZ at all. I have a diamond that can handle more abuse that I can wear regularly and then only wear the CZs on occasion and not worry about them scratching.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an Asha but maybe I got a dud because it was not diamond like at all. Actually I had a three stone Asha ring and none of the stones had any sparkle, they looked very much like cz, and I didn't wear it a whole lot so I don't think the coating wore off. They were just flat and lifeless.

Got a Chris CZ last year in an OEC cut and that was much better and actually inspired my Harro Moissanite OEC purchase. I would recommend the Chris CZ over the Asha just from my own personal experience if you want a pretty CZ.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I had an Asha but maybe I got a dud because it was not diamond like at all. Actually I had a three stone Asha ring and none of the stones had any sparkle, they looked very much like cz, and I didn't wear it a whole lot so I don't think the coating wore off. They were just flat and lifeless.

Got a Chris CZ last year in an OEC cut and that was much better and actually inspired my Harro Moissanite OEC purchase. I would recommend the Chris CZ over the Asha just from my own personal experience if you want a pretty CZ.

And they’re like $5 plus shipping! I have a couple too, but I’ve never gotten them set. Very pretty!

I’ve heard great things about Wink too, but they’re no longer cutting :cry2:

deco1

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for responding. You've each mentioned things that made me think about why I like my Asha and, so far, prefer it to moissanite.

Michellelynn -- yes, that video is well done. And the video following that one displays precisely why I like the Asha more.

https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/what-is-the-best-diamond-simulant/

I will try to take some pics tomorrow as well as some of the transitional diamond in the antique ring we got a few years ago. Though it may be like comparing apples to oranges due to the cut and color differences. I'll also look up what version I have -- I do know that it was one of the earlier ones.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for responding. You've each mentioned things that made me think about why I like my Asha and, so far, prefer it to moissanite.

Michellelynn -- yes, that video is well done. And the video following that one displays precisely why I like the Asha more.

https://www.prosumerdiamonds.com/what-is-the-best-diamond-simulant/

I will try to take some pics tomorrow as well as some of the transitional diamond in the antique ring we got a few years ago. Though it may be like comparing apples to oranges due to the cut and color differences. I'll also look up what version I have -- I do know that it was one of the earlier ones.

That hasn’t been updated for 2 years, so I wonder if the newer Amora Gem Eternity compares differently. The thing that would bug me about the Asha (and this may not apply to you) but they no longer offer any kind of warranty. At all. So if 6 months after I get it, it cracks in half, I’m out a couple hundred bucks. For a CZ.

The video also shows windowing, which is a dead giveaway for a CZ, and the table is also larger, which is atypical for a well cut diamond.

I think if you really take care of them and remove them often for things like cleaning, showering, sleeping, swimming, working out etc. they’ll obviously last longer. But for people like me that never take their rings off, it’s not realistic to think it can be a Forever Stone. And the reviews reflect that.

Their website (ashadiamonds.com) has since gone under, and it appears they’re offering fewer cut options which leads me to believe they’ll be discontinued soon. I could be wrong, and maybe they’ve just culled their selection down to focus attention on the Amora Gem.

Again, not intended to offend, just my 2 cents! I wish they could make a CZ moissanite hybrid that was durable and truly looked like a diamond. But I guess they already have...the lab diamond. :lol-2:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2ct Asha which is lovely though I can tell is not a diamond since there’s this lack of “depth” if that makes sense. And sometimes on certain light I think it looks a bit hazy, like I need to clean it.

I’ve never had a moissanite to compare to though. Though reading all the threads here makes me want to order one and see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results