shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
I have a new Amethyst engagement ring I recieved on Saturday(which will be replaced with a diamond ring when we graduate college).

I''ve read its a 7 on the moh scale-as is an Emerald. I''ve read that Emeralds are not a good choice for an engagement ring because it cannot withstand daily wear. Is the same true with an Amethyst?

Thanks!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Your amethyst should do fine for daily wear. The mohs scale doesn''t have a lot to do with how well a gemstone will wear. It has to do with how hard it is to scratch.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally, i''d remove the ring while at home....i wouldn''t garden, wash dishes, clean house, etc. with it on. but i''d put it on each and every time i left the house even if it was to go to the garden center or a lumber yard. this is how i do it with my spessartite garnet.

movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That is good advice for any ring, I agree.I''m pretty hard on my rings and I used to wear them all the time, doing dishes etc. But I''ve had some stones come loose so now I''m a bit more careful. My wedding ring is still on all the time though.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love amethysts and your ring is gorgeous. Just a note of caution though, and I have had this happen...........Do not wear your ring for an extended time in bright sunshine. Amethysts will fade in bright sunlight. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you lovely ring!

ETA: Also amethysts should not be cleaned in ultrasonic cleaners.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
color stones do not belong in an ultrasonic cleaner.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results