shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst liquid flower cut looking for a masculine setting

tapio

Shiny_Rock
Dear Pricescopers,

Tapio here. I have been back from travels abroad and saw an interestingly cut amethyst, it is called a liquid flower. It only has 7 faceted edges. The bottom 3 cuts that create the trillion shape are concave. Besides the table all other cuts are curved. Not a straight edge on it.

This creates the interesting reflections through the large table. I'm sure many of you have seen it before, but I thought it was really very interesting. Just about anyone could afford it.

I am looking for ideas as how to set this in a ring for man. I know women have as much if not more experience with varying settings; so I put forth the challenge. What is the best way to set this strange amethyst? :geek:

Cheers,

tapio

BrazilAmethyst11.22_1.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Amethyst liquid flower cut looking for a masculine setti

IIRC these stones can get very dark in the wrong setting.

I would recommend an open gallery. I know, it's difficult to design for a guy... hence why I only have one ring :D I'm not a fan of prongs for mens jewelry so, some sort of bezel around the corners with a gap between them along the girdle.

mastergoldcraft on etsy has a setting I was considering for a pear, but it's set up for a trill already, I think the style would also help the stone.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/23207874/aaa-343ct-trillion-blue-topaz-sterling

The size and lines are masculine with a somewhat open gallery. I would ask if he could thin up the bezel and shorten the arms of the bezel as well.

Hope this helped :D and Good luck

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I like that setting you posted, Davi! It's quite masculine and yet has the cutouts on the side that give it an open gallery to let more light in.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A couple of advises since I have a couple of his "flowers" set by Jill Anish from Etsy.

These cuts look best in lighter stones. I have one light-colored amethyst and one ametrine and they look pretty. You can bezel them. A darker stone will not perform well - you may not see the beauty and fun of the cut. It is a very unusual cut which requires lighter material to be seen. The color of the amethyst looks nice but I wonder if it may be too dark to enjoy the cut in real life. However, I may be wrong. Definitely it has to be an open gallery.

If you plan to spend some $$ in it, search Peter Lees. He makes beautiful rings, both for men and women, and he could find a way to set the stone in a masculine way.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Like Crasru said, this cut works best in lighter stones. I have an ametrine that is just fantastic, since the yellow swirls with purple.

This is a great cut for bezeling. The cut makes it very easy to bezel set and the nice, smooth frame of the bezel compliments the smooth lines of the cut. I found that prongs were tricky to set (it seemed like the prongs wanted to slip off the curves) and they interrupted the flow.

tapio

Shiny_Rock

Thank you every body for your counsel. You seem to know what you are doing with this and I am appreciative. I didn't have clue how to mount it. Again, thank you for your input.

Tapio

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results