shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay

Shiny_Rock
A really good friend of mine is proposing to his longtime (7 years!!!
6.gif
) girlfriend.
She loves amethyst and he wants that as his main stone, possibly with side diamond accents or diamond pave.

Has anyone seen anything like this, he is at a loss for design ideas. Any links or pics would be much appreciated.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know any amethyst enaggement ring... Perhaps this has something to do with the low price of amethyst - pure discrimination. Purple sapphire might be a stand-in (and there are diamond rings with purple sapphire) but the color is rarely as good and consistent in different lights. If this is her favorite, the ring would be a great idea, I think, but a relatively uncommon one as well. Whish is always a good thng, of course.

One custom cut amethyste and two diamonds would add up to one dazzling ring
2.gif
It would work the other way around as well. There can''t be much confusion between the pale purple stuff in country fare jewelry and the finest. A serious setting and respectable side stones will do the rest.

Always glad to hear about amethyst
9.gif

Now that I am thinking... Scavia makes beautiful rings (including eternity style) with carved amethyst inlays and diamonds. No pictures, I am affraid. However, this would be one name to track down for "modern classic" inspiration.

And I can easily imagine This One with purple instead of blue: the French cut is more about color than brilliance - perfect for amethyst. IMO, at least.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Another colored gemstone e-ring thread! Woo!

I''ll be the first to suggest the obligatory concave cut.
Although most of them are huge, there''s one Richer Homer one that might work -
4467webev.jpg

Is amethyst going to be too soft? I know that, to a certain extent, the moh''s scale thing is a bit of a myth, but isn''t amethyst quartz?

Purple sapphire would be great, if he can find a nice one...

1113sm.jpg

Here''s a sold one from cherrypicked.com

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is quartz... but that means "taugh enough" no ?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a simple 3-stone ring we did recently...$20 amethyst - .28ct., E, IF side stones.

CompositeStonesRing.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my husband''s step-mother [she''s still my mother-in-law, right?!] has an amethyst engagement ring and its gorgeous: very big and emerald cut. but its not the dark dark purple i''m seeing on my screen and posted in this thread.

her ring is stunning and made quite an impressiion when i saw it. i''ve only seen it once [she''s in australia] and she doesn''t wear it except for ''dress up'' events, like her daughter''s wedding. i don''t remember seeing any other side stones with it. but the ec amethyst is huge and doesn''t need any additional glitter.

peace, movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m a purple lover and so I really like amethysts but I think it might be a litte soft and easily worn down and she wil probably be wearing the ring a lot. I say go with a purple sapphire or a purple spinel.

Shay

Shiny_Rock
hmm thanks for all the input.

As far as the cost of amethyst goes she really doesn''t care... I was trying to talk her into a ruby or saphire but apparently amethysts have special meaning to her. She also takes the train every day ( not safe) so this wouln''t be an everyday ring anyway, so it doesn''t matter if it''s not super strong.

The situation is somewhat comical with me playing go between the two of them, with both pretending they don''t know that the other knows the e-ring is on it''s way. All the while ensuring he gets what she wants without going over budget.
9.gif

I am so charging for this next time.

I like agree with the idea of emerald cut, it just looks so darn impressive!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2005 1:28:17 AM
Author: Shay

I like agree with the idea of emerald cut, it just looks so darn impressive!
Quartz is not as brilliant as sapphire... there will be a window (see through, dull patch) in a large step cut no matter what: even if proportions are optimized to death, a slight tilt will loose all brilliance.

One solution might be something like this cut with some extra facets added on top of the traditional steps:

sp552.jpg

I bet you could obtain a couple of amethysts cut like this where this one comes from (customgemstones.com of Daniel Stair).
The cut is called "scissor top emerald" and this stone is a small blue spinel.

Just an idea.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Looks like you have your heart set om amethyst. I can''t imagine not wearing my engagement ring everyday, but we are all different. Still just know that it does scratch easily. I had a sterling amethyst ring that used to be very smooth and now looks amost like beach glass cause I wore it a lot. You might want to just warn her about the softness of the stone first.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 5:32
6.gif
0 PM
Author: Poker face
I just found this ring and I think it''s breathtaking. I can''t afford it myself - so here ya go!!

http://www.topazery.com/antique-jewelry-item-rg980.htm
Oo! It''s in Charlotte! I can go see it in person
9.gif
But I could never wear amethyst because I''m so darned hard on rings. I have a 7.5ct London Bl. Topaz that has hairline scratches on the table and tiny knicks along the girdle
7.gif
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results