shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst decision: HELP :-)

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys! Well, been away for months and it's nice to see a lot of stunning gems as usual from PSers hehe... Anyway, I need some help regarding amethys.. I know for some, they love those deep bluish violet amethysts from crossroads & zambia (also Uruguay) but for me, I like those with some reddish tinge. After searching high & low, I found these three affordable choices... Just need some honest advice before I make a purchase. What do u think of the colour? I'm undecided whether to go for the lighter one. Also, can u guys give me some info regarding amethyst buying tips etc.

Many thanks! :wavey:

Dimensions ((All native cuts)):

A) 5+ ct. 10 X 10 mm, Depth 7.4 mm
B) 4+ ct. 9.8 X 9.8 mm, Depth 6.8 mm
C) 3+ ct. Checkerboard 10 mm, Depth 7 mm

Am_Choices.PNG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Blithesome - welcome back! :wavey:

Is "A" really a native cut? If so, it's well cut with a really unusual table. Because of it's quirkiness I would go with that one. The only downside is that it's quite light and a little pink - whereas I like to see blue flashes in my Amethysts BUT because of the cut, I think I'd excuse its colour!!! One thing I would do if you decide to go for that one is to ask for more pictures just to be sure that the table hasn't caused a weird type window!

"C" will definitely (I think) be very dark and even darker when set. "B" is ok but wouldn't be a choice.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
A-i love the cut but think it will be very windowed.
B-don't like the cut.
C-i think this will be overly dark.

personally, i'd keep looking.

you've defined what you like: amethyst with red/red flashes.

have you looked at any of the arizona 4 peaks mine cut stones? if not do an internet search.

MoZo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it’s just poor photography but I don’t see any blue or red flash in these amethysts at all. Not only that, none of the 3 stands out to be anything nice. 1 is pretty light, 2 is all right but just plain purple and 3 might end up too dark IRL. What you are looking for can only be found in the 4 peaks material (red flash) and JXR (blue flash). I sometimes see some nice JXR material on www.thegemtrader.com so you might want to contact Brad to see what he has available.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I agree...not the best choices based on photos unless the descriptions provided say that they have the magenta flashes. You may wish to try Gary Braun of www.finewatergems.com . Although my yin/yang amethysts are darker, they do have that color flash and perhaps he has some lighter rough to pick from.

Laura

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Colorado Gems and Minerals/jack Lowell has the best Four Peaks, he also has wonderful Brazilian, Nigerian and Namibian stones too.

They are cut very, very well. I saw his inventory 2 weeks ago when I bought two rounds and he has some quality stuff.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Of the three you posted, I like the first one best for the cut...should have said that too. Good luck on your search! :appl:

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I say pick A. B and C look to have a poor polish (based on the small pics - actual experience might be different). The edges on B and C appear pretty rounded. The top facet on C might be scratched from a low polish (or it is photo grain). The A is lighter, but looks clean. The pavilion looks like a keel cut on a square with an interesting crown. If it is inexpensive, it would be cool. And I would not go so far as to say it is windowed. Considering the depth for the size, I would guess it is not. The off-angle shot could be the reason, it might hid a dead spot, or just because it was shot that way.

Of course, your mileage may vary ;-)

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I won't comment on a specific stone as that may be still breaking the rules but will add a general comment only.
Lots of the very clean Amethyst is Hydrothermally created in a lab. I would want a report including origin or at least an indication that a natural inclusion was noticed. Best regards, Lee

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock
I like the size & cut of A, but I prefer a darker color, or perhaps more saturation (IDK what I'm talking about). Keep us posted on your decision or if you continue to search ;-)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like the middle one. I think the photography is poor, though. Sometimes vendors will email you an additional photo if you ask them.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and honest thoughts re my choices. @LD yup it's native cut (w/ unusual table hehe) I've ask the seller for some photos and info re these amethysts.

I really like the color of this material: http://www.coloradogem.com/images/2003_big.jpg but it's out of my budget for this test project. I'm buying one of these amethysts for a test cutting and if I'm happy with the result, I'll choose that lapidary to cut the aquamarine facet rough (vietnam) I'm reserving. So there.

...I'm leaning towards "A" & "B" (B has a nice saturation I think... A has a nice table & just needs a brilliant pav. I like its pinkish tinge too)

Many thanks again peeps ::) :twirl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you just buy this one from Barry? Quick like a bunny, his stuff flies off the virtual shelf . . .

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=141&idproduct=3454

His photos are about 20% as good as his stones, so you'll be happy with it.

Are you getting the vietnamese aquamarine from Dana? He's a great cutter too, just have him cut it. I got an emerald from him, best untreated emerald that I've ever seen in person, and the photo . . . well . . . not so hot. FAB stone, though! :love:

I think the cutters' arms get tired from faceting all day, and they can't keep a good hold on their cameras . . . :lol:

I guess it's the gem world variation on "cold hands, warm heart"?

IDK, makes sense in my head. . . ;))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StonieGrl said:
Colorado Gems and Minerals/jack Lowell has the best Four Peaks, he also has wonderful Brazilian, Nigerian and Namibian stones too.

They are cut very, very well. I saw his inventory 2 weeks ago when I bought two rounds and he has some quality stuff.

Wonderful Brazilian material exists in amethyst? :???:

I'll have to check them out because I never saw a Brazilian that I liked. Thanks.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
StonieGrl said:

I'll have to check them out because I never saw a Brazilian that I liked. Thanks.

Now you've got me curious, TL. I have an amethyst ring that my grandfather bought in the mid '70's (feels like a week ago to me) for $1000. It's a 12 x 14 oval, very saturated, deep purple with blue and magenta flashes. I felt this is an outrageous price for amethyst, but you're giving me the impression that some amethyst actually has a high value. How would you describe high-value amethyst? Any pics on the net to demonstrate? I'd like to compare and contrast to my ring.

I was under the impression that amethyst is a cheapie stone, even in the darker colors . . .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, a high value amethyst has it all (good size, super saturation with flashes of blue and red). There is fine amethyst and there’s “just” amethyst, therefore, pricing can range from a few cents to a couple high hundred dollars. Of course, one has to watch out for synthetics and etc. I would not consider amethyst a cheapie stone, but something that is commonly overlooked and undervalued at the moment, at least for those of fine quality.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
To me, a high value amethyst has it all (good size, super saturation with flashes of blue and red). There is fine amethyst and there’s “just” amethyst, therefore, pricing can range from a few cents to a couple high hundred dollars. Of course, one has to watch out for synthetics and etc. I would not consider amethyst a cheapie stone, but something that is commonly overlooked and undervalued at the moment, at least for those of fine quality.

what she said. sometimes colored glass can be more attractive than a lower end "real" color stone.

MoZo

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander said:
tourmaline_lover said:
StonieGrl said:

Now you've got me curious, TL. I have an amethyst ring that my grandfather bought in the mid '70's (feels like a week ago to me) for $1000. It's a 12 x 14 oval, very saturated, deep purple with blue and magenta flashes. I felt this is an outrageous price for amethyst, but you're giving me the impression that some amethyst actually has a high value. How would you describe high-value amethyst? Any pics on the net to demonstrate? I'd like to compare and contrast to my ring.

I was under the impression that amethyst is a cheapie stone, even in the darker colors . . .

Most amethyst is a cheapie stone and most of the material comes from Brazil, which IMO, and many others, produces some ugly washed out material. Flat purple, no matter the tone, is not attractive to me. It should have blue and red flashes. This is a photo of mine, and I think that it conveys that well. Zambia, 13 carats.

TLzambianamethyst4.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't help but post a pic of JXR amethyst. ...wink..wink to bad I got rid of this one..at least it was cut into a gemstone to enjoy

abr 1.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: to both of those pics! :naughty: :naughty:

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
For comparison purposes, here's a Bolivian amethyst I sold recently.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Ame 27 c.JPG

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, that Minas Gerais, what a lousy place for minerals...I stand corrected.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what do you know, right there on Barry's drop tonight is Brazilian amethyst that you're all sniffy about.

Just awful.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
StonieGrl said:
Well, what do you know, right there on Barry's drop tonight is Brazilian amethyst that you're all sniffy about.

Just awful.

SG are you being sarcastic? I rather like that ammy too but I've read here that Brazilian ammies aren't nice, but there are exceptions to the rule right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results