shape
carat
color
clarity

American Pearl

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I tried searching this topic with very limited success.
I came across American Pearl online as touting the best pearls available anywhere, and equal to the Mikimoto AA and AAA. That’s exactly what I’m looking for, and the description of their Collection pearls is pretty glowing.
Has anyone successfully purchased from them? What did you think? Does anyone else have comparable quality to their AA and AAA/collection pearls?
I heard akoyas are really hard to get now and that customer service is super slow, so if I can’t get anything from AP I’d like to have another option with similar quality.
Any experiences with AP or their higher end quality?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a PS member, @cmd2014, who a few years back posted a number of photos of her American Pearl AAA akoyas. They were gorgeous! She liked this company's pearls very much as I recall.
ETA: One thing that interested me was that she said the company ranked their AAA akoyas above their Hanadama grade. I thought that was different, and interesting.
I have no personal experience with the company.

Last edited:

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
There is a PS member, @cmd2014, who a few years back posted a number of photos of her American Pearl AAA akoyas. They were gorgeous! She liked this company's pearls very much as I recall.
ETA: One thing that interested me was that she said the company ranked their AAA akoyas above their Hanadama grade. I thought that was different, and interesting.
I have no personal experience with the company.

Thank you! It’s true, their hanadama is below their AAA grade. I’m hoping to find something really iridescent and super shiny, so if they get back to me and they have something I think I’ll ask for a picture to see if it’s what I’m hoping for.

I saved a bunch of pictures on my phone as reference, so I’m hoping I can find it for around $2500 or so

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can. Akoya prices are way, way up now because of supply and demand issues. A virus has been killing the oysters since 2019 and is still doing so, plus the demand from Chinese buyers is very high.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought American Pearl’s Collection pearls (I returned them).

Marketing is marketing, y’know?

If you buy, and you’re truly wanting Mikimoto quality equivalent, then I’d definitely recommend you go to a Mikimoto boutique and do some in-person comparisons yourself.

(A superior solution to providing a “proof pearl” would be to send the strand to an independent grading authority for an objective nacre thickness assessment that doesn’t require destroying one of the pearls.)

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if the budget is $2500, I don't think Mikimoto would have anything in that budget....

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I’ve bought American Pearl’s Collection pearls (I returned them).

Marketing is marketing, y’know?

If you buy, and you’re truly wanting Mikimoto quality equivalent, then I’d definitely recommend you go to a Mikimoto boutique and do some in-person comparisons yourself.

(A superior solution to providing a “proof pearl” would be to send the strand to an independent grading authority for an objective nacre thickness assessment that doesn’t require destroying one of the pearls.)

Oh no really?! so they weren’t as advertised? How long ago was that? How disappointing.
I could go as high as 3k but trying to keep it in that range. Moline sent me pictures of a set I’m going to buy unless one of the sellers I contacted sends me a picture of something nicer, which is doubtful.
They’re really all I’m waiting on but customer service there is ridiculous so if I don’t hear back today I’m definitely going with Moline. Plus his customer service is excellent.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I hope you can. Akoya prices are way, way up now because of supply and demand issues. A virus has been killing the oysters since 2019 and is still doing so, plus the demand from Chinese buyers is very high.

I just read that yesterday and I was so sad. :( I’d have bought some like 8 years ago had I known!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I'd go with Moline. I don't trust anyone who says you can get Miki AA quality strand for 2500. That just isn't realistic, even from vendors who are in Japan so you can buy directly.

Folks here have bought from Takahashi and general pearl, and the quality of their best strands is on par with Miki AA. However, even they will cost more than 2500. There just aren't "deals" these days, and you'll generally get what you pay for.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an example, my general pearl strand was 4500ish (direct from japan) and my guess is that it's somewhere in the Miki A+/AA range. Unlikely to be the same as mikis AAA, but to be fair I haven't compared them directly.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
Honestly I'd go with Moline. I don't trust anyone who says you can get Miki AA quality strand for 2500. That just isn't realistic, even from vendors who are in Japan so you can buy directly.

Folks here have bought from Takahashi and general pearl, and the quality of their best strands is on par with Miki AA. However, even they will cost more than 2500. There just aren't "deals" these days, and you'll generally get what you pay for.

I like his upgrade option. Later if he finds a nice aaa grade strand with rose overtone I’d like the option to trade up. (He doesn’t have one of those right at the moment but his AA strand is really nice!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like his upgrade option. Later if he finds a nice aaa grade strand with rose overtone I’d like the option to trade up. (He doesn’t have one of those right at the moment but his AA strand is really nice!)

Exactly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they wouldn’t. The Miki premium is eye watering and only getting more eye watering! And of course we know you can get beautiful pearls for that budget without that premium ❤️

My recommendation was so that expectations are aligned with reality. There are SO many websites and blogs and forum posts that would have you believe ${some vendor’s} equivalence to top-of-industry quality - none substantiated, almost all guaranteed to disappoint someone who genuinely believed those assertions. Not all, but almost all. Unfortunately!

But if the budget is $2500, I don't think Mikimoto would have anything in that budget....

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
As an example, my general pearl strand was 4500ish (direct from japan) and my guess is that it's somewhere in the Miki A+/AA range. Unlikely to be the same as mikis AAA, but to be fair I haven't compared them directly.

Dang!! wow that’s spendy. I mean I guess I COULD do that if I waited like a month or something but I really want something now. I like Moline and what he sent a picture of. After reading here it looks like his prices are super good!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no really?! so they weren’t as advertised? How long ago was that? How disappointing.
I could go as high as 3k but trying to keep it in that range. Moline sent me pictures of a set I’m going to buy unless one of the sellers I contacted sends me a picture of something nicer, which is doubtful.
They’re really all I’m waiting on but customer service there is ridiculous so if I don’t hear back today I’m definitely going with Moline. Plus his customer service is excellent.
I’ve also bought from Andrew Moline and he is genuinely conservative with his grading. No bombastic marketing there. I would buy from him as well. The upgrade policy is a very nice addition - I didn’t know it applied to strands!

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
No, they wouldn’t. The Miki premium is eye watering and only getting more eye watering! And of course we know you can get beautiful pearls for that budget without that premium ❤️

My recommendation was so that expectations are aligned with reality. There are SO many websites and blogs and forum posts that would have you believe ${some vendor’s} equivalence to top-of-industry quality - none substantiated, almost all guaranteed to disappoint someone who genuinely believed those assertions. Not all, but almost all. Unfortunately!

This is exactly why I came here, I was suspicious of the prices online and the quality. Especially when I found out how scarce they are now.
I wasn’t even sure an AA equivalent strand could be found for around 3k after what I read I’m glad I posted.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
I’ve also bought from Andrew Moline and he is genuinely conservative with his grading. No bombastic marketing there. I would buy from him as well. The upgrade policy is a very nice addition - I didn’t know it applied to strands!

It does, I just checked! He will restring and replace the clasp and credit you so you can upgrade :) I like that.

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
Well I’m going with Moline. AP said they have to wait a week for their Japan supplier to send pearls to even see what they have available and moline is a sure thing. ‍♀️ combined with questions about their QC etc I feel more comfortable with him.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I think you will be happy. I have earrings and a pendant from Andrew and they're everything I wanted. My daughter, who prefers Tahitians, says Andrew's akoya "just glow." And his customer service is exemplary.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I’m going with Moline. AP said they have to wait a week for their Japan supplier to send pearls to even see what they have available and moline is a sure thing. ‍♀️ combined with questions about their QC etc I feel more comfortable with him.

Couldn’t say so before really but you100% made the right choice. Agree with others!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

one day im going to shop with Andrew Moline

ShinyPleeease

Rough_Rock
You’ve made a great decision going with Moline. I’ve bought a lot of pearls from different vendors and my gem akoya studs from Moline are one of my absolute favorite pieces! Excited to see your pics!

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
Couldn’t say so before really but you100% made the right choice. Agree with others!

Hey am I able to send you a message? I had a question but don’t know how to use price scope to do it

uwodahikamama

Rough_Rock
Nope, there's no private messaging on PS. But you can contact a user on a "For sale" link from LT

Oooohh ok thank you! I don’t think LT links are working, or at least last time I checked.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results