shape
carat
color
clarity

American Pearl multicolor tahitians

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I am looking for my first tahitian necklace. Have already contacted PP and Mia is going to provide some strands to look at. While researching I come across some multicolor strands from American Pearls. The strands look very nice on photos (but I don't know enough to judge the quality) and price seems within budget (again, not knowing the quality I can't really tell if it's good value).

I have bought akoyas and freshadama necklaces from PP so I trust their photos and quality. Noticed quite a few PSers bought from AP so I assume they are trustworthy too? In terms of price, would you consider AP higher/more or less same / better than PP in general? And how would you rate these strands?

Thank you!

11-13mm $2050
klace-serial-number-11mm13mm-pearl-necklace-true-aaa-16inch-s6-sbshbc-tahitian-multi-color-b49-1.jpg

8-10mm $1650
klace-serial-number-8mm10mm-pearl-necklace-true-aaa-16inch-s6-sblgbc-tahitian-multi-color-b38-17.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The first necklace comes with a sterling silver clasp other wise they want you to buy a 18k clasp which cost an additional $250-$300.

The second baroque necklace is too expensive for the quality and it too has a silver clasp.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with NL that prices seem high. My Tahitian drop strand (AA+/AAA) from PP was $800 less than a year ago (and that was before a 14% discount).

Looking at the PP website, comparable (AAA) strands seem to go for $900-$1000 these days, with a 14K gold clasp. Pure Pearls and Pearls of Joy also show lower prices. $1650 with a sterling silver clasp (total $1900 with a gold clasp) seems quite high.

I am not used to *read* AP photos of Tahitians, so cannot comment much on the strands. You may want to request photos in natural light conditions to get a better idea.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
GreenBling, I think colour-wise, this strand is close to mine (it is out of stock, but just to show you the colours since you were asking in another thread):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-5193-87-109-mm-aaa-oval-tahitian-multicolor-pearl-necklace.aspx

These are ovals, mine are drops, and these are full AAA (mine has some surface imperfections), so these are (were) more expensive than mine were. But colour-wise I think they are similar, so you may want to ask PP to see if they have something with similar colours in stock.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
I agree with NL and Tucs especially with the bottom strand. I bought a multicolor in 2014 that was priced at $600 plus $90 white gold ball clasp (size 9-11mm, AA/AAA) so you can certainly buy a cheaper strand that is probably same quality or even better for $1K less. Maybe a little bit more expensive now but def. not over $1K.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's always important to comparison shop. My experience with AP is that the quality is very high. But some things are priced higher and some things are priced lower than other vendors, so you just need to be aware of what's a good value vs what is not (FWIW, I've noticed this of all the vendors, and it often depends on the type of pearl being sold). For multicolor baroque strands, the prices are significantly less at PP and the other West coast vendors (POJ, Pure Pearls, and PP - all of whom offer very good quality baroque strands). I'd get them to show you what they have to offer and then decide. Plus, you may want to wait for one of the sales. AP is currently offering 15% off, but regularly offers 10% with the code that will be on their home page. POJ was offering 20% off the whole store (not sure if it is still on or not), Pure Pearls and PP also frequently have 20% off sales too.

On the Vendor pics vs real life thread there are pictures of the multicolor strand I bought from Ashley at Pure Pearl as well as many strands from PP. I've also posted pictures of my Tahitian Huggie drop earrings from AP in the Huggie drop earring thread as well, so you can see the quality of the pieces from different vendors.

Have fun shopping!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover, Tucs, Bailey1856 and cmd3014 - thank you all so so much for the advice and price comparsion.

For a necklace at this price I would definitely want a gold clasp so you are right, it will cost more at check out if price is for silver clasp.

It is hard for my untrained eyes to judge value. I trust you about these strands being compatible to PP's better priced ones.

And sales, yes! Seems like all stores are having some sort of sale most time of the year. I shall definitely enquire about it once I have found my strand.

From an inexperienced buyer perspective, PP site is most user friendly among the online sellers, with clear categorization of pearls and styles, transparent price, clear accurate description of products etc. Summarizing what I have read in many other threads and from own purchasing experience, I am going to just wait for Mia to come back with her picks. Will then post them here for more input before making decision.

Thank you all! Your are great resources!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Tucs|1451936003|3970541 said:
GreenBling, I think colour-wise, this strand is close to mine (it is out of stock, but just to show you the colours since you were asking in another thread):

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-5193-87-109-mm-aaa-oval-tahitian-multicolor-pearl-necklace.aspx

These are ovals, mine are drops, and these are full AAA (mine has some surface imperfections), so these are (were) more expensive than mine were. But colour-wise I think they are similar, so you may want to ask PP to see if they have something with similar colours in stock.

Big thank you Tucs! This reassures me about my preference.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
One PP sale ended yesterday, but another is coming for Valentines day.

Q

Queenie60

I would also check out tahitianpearls.biz. I found some great deals on that sight. Just bought a very nice SS pearl strand from them and it's beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results