carat
color
clarity

American Pearl Arc De Triomphe Earrings

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan of the design...to my eye it looks like the pearl is wearing headphones. I don't understand the flower on the reverse side. That said, I would ask the other vendors.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love this setting - so pretty and so wearable - and I think the design would also look great with Tahitian and GSS pearls.

Personally I have not come across this kind of setting before, but I don't always check out earrings on pearl vendor websites.

Anyway, I look forward to reading others' contributions to this thread, and finding out if/how you proceed with this project.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen it but I think it could look very elegant when worn. It does look a bit odd in the close-up vendor photos. Perhaps you could ask AP to send you an ear shot?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen it but I think it could look very elegant when worn. It does look a bit odd in the close-up vendor photos. Perhaps you could ask AP to send you an ear shot?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
How much room is there between the post and the pearl. Depending on your piercing, your lobe would not fit into this setting.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Baby Monster, that is a fantastic design. I'm really struggling with the original posted design, and not intending to offend, but I just don't see the perspective of how this will look when worn.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1452269477|3972653 said:
How much room is there between the post and the pearl. Depending on your piercing, your lobe would not fit into this setting.

Right! This would never fit my ear lobes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pirard|1452261374|3972603 said:
I'm not a fan of the design...to my eye it looks like the pearl is wearing headphones. I don't understand the flower on the reverse side. That said, I would ask the other vendors.

This made me laugh out loud at work - that is the perfect description!! :bigsmile:

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has been really fun reading people's thoughts about these earrings! It seems like the design is either a love it or hate.

The headphones comment made me laugh too! I also don't really understand why the design carries to the back side, seems like a waste.

I think I'm going to ask AP for an ear shot. I think they are meant to hit *just* below the earlobe, which is actually what I love about the design so much. I don't really like earrings like french wires, for example, because of how low they dangle.

Here is an earshot of Gabrielle Sanchez's "Flyer" earrings. They are crazy expensive $2500-8k depending on the type of pearl, so definitely not an option. I love how large the pearls are though and how close to the earlobe they sit. To me, it's very elegant.

I could live without the flower or diamond if anyone can find anything with a similar leverback style that hugs the lobe.

anike_grande.jpeg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, I see the look you are going for...the American Pearl version seems to be set much lower on the pearl, like they've used a traditionally drilled pearl and added this setting. Here is what the designer "flyer" earrings look like: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/8828/products/Sanchez_3672_f3915a66-2b97-4e03-a9cf-42caf517cbaf_large.jpg?v=1408132888

I much prefer the original rather than the AP version. That said, I would contact PP...seems to me their blossom setting might be able to be modified in some way to make this work.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pirard|1452285430|3972836 said:
Ah, I see the look you are going for...the American Pearl version seems to be set much lower on the pearl, like they've used a traditionally drilled pearl and added this setting. Here is what the designer "flyer" earrings look like: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/8828/products/Sanchez_3672_f3915a66-2b97-4e03-a9cf-42caf517cbaf_large.jpg?v=1408132888

I much prefer the original rather than the AP version. That said, I would contact PP...seems to me their blossom setting might be able to be modified in some way to make this work.

Yes! It is like they took a middle-drilled pearl and then put this leverback in it. I also like the Flyer design better. With the flower in the middle, it really covers up a lot of the pearl.

I could care less about the flowers and diamonds, just love the unique close-lobe curved leverback if anyone knows of a design like that.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the design Pirard posted has 2 angled drill holes which are then connected by middle piece that looks like a yoke. I imagine AP's setting is probably easier to execute given the pearl is drilled through the middle with less chance of breaking it. PP is probably the best vendor to ask if they could replicate as they have a metalsmith now.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, good sleuthing Chro! I would definitely buy pearls and have them drilled for this project using those findings, if they are what you want. You will be so much happier, and save yourself a ton of $$ if you buy loose pearls and add the findings.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It just happened to be serindipuous timing that I'd just been browsing findings for another project when I read this thread. I didn't see other findings like this on other sites, but that doesn't mean they arn't out there.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If you're shopping for inexpensive, Honora did something similar with a coin pearl. They called it an "orbit" earring, and it was available in sterling. You can Google for images, and there's a video on the QVC website but you have to link to it from Google.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1452362014|3973245 said:
chroman|1452308448|3973035 said:
Interesting style! Here's a finding that seems to be along the same lines:

https://www.gempacked.com/Hinge-and...for-Pearl-Huggie-Earrings?gp_product_id=42494

^ I really like these findings, much better than the AP settings... and fyi, Bella also carries this design in 14kt white, yellow, and rose gold. https://www.gempacked.com/Hinge-and-Catch-Component-Set-for-Pearl-Huggie-Earrings?gp_product_id=43438
Just an FYI: Bella and GemPacked are one in the same!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chroman|1452308448|3973035 said:
Interesting style! Here's a finding that seems to be along the same lines:

https://www.gempacked.com/Hinge-and...for-Pearl-Huggie-Earrings?gp_product_id=42494

Perfect!!! Thanks for finding this chroman! Buying the finding and pearls separately should hopefully save me a ton of money. These settings are great too, and come in white gold which is nice.

Who do you guys think would be the best vendor for this, PP? Would PearlParadise be able to supply the pearls, drill them, and assemble the design?

Is it worth it to save for south sea white pearls, or would their freshadama line be suitable? For the price difference, I could even get a matching strand of freshadama pearls. I think I could use 10-11mm pearls for this (for the earrings), which they do seem to have in the freshadama line.

I like the silver-white color of white south sea pearls, but the cost is just so much more, it's hard to justify it. If the appearance is worth it, I'll consider it. If it's just for the pedigree, I don't mind freshwater. Do the freshadama's look too creamy white compared to south sea white pearls? Anyone have a reference pic of both side by side?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It wouldn't hurt to shoot them a quick email to find out if they'd be willing to use that setting. I've never done that, so I can't comment on their policies. But, since jewelers order stock components for people all the time, it seems like that could be possible.

Talking about the setting with whomever is providing the pearls seems like a good idea, especially if its someone who drills a lot of pearls. I wonder if it would be a tricky setting to use on drops, potatoe-shapes, or baroques. I could see it being something that sits best with mostly-round pearls, but who knows.

It seems like a pretty versitle setting that could go with a lot of pearl types. What's on your wish list? Metallic freshwaters might also be interesting to toss in the mix

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well done on locating all the findings !! I can see how these might be a tricky fit..would be good if you could buy them in silver and have a trial run. As stated before..the placement of the piercing and the size and shape of ones earlobe might make a big difference in how wearable these are..

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's a neat and innovative earring finding. There are lots of new ideas in earring findings coming out at the moment. I wonder if it comes with instructions for drilling, since it looks like the spacing would have to be exact otherwise the earring might not be secure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results