shape
carat
color
clarity

Amber (Photo with Wasp)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Amber is not considered a mineral rather a fossilized resin of ancient trees. Inclusions in amber can contain fossilized insects which were caught in the sap and preserved over time (termites, mosquito’s, fly‘s etc..). In my readings, I recently encountered a picture with a colony of 3 termites embedded in the resin. The pattern displayed or insect trapped in the amber can add to it’s value due to the intriguing nature of the piece. Colors in amber range from a pale yellow to brown or dark-brown &red. Amber can also display tones of whitish, greenish, bluish or even violet colors. Transparent varieties of amber are prized in jewelry application. Sources of amber include Burma, Romania, Sicily, East Germany & Poland.

amber_wasp08964(cp).jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
WoW neat

Shelli

Rough_Rock
My brother has some kinda stone with a bug in it that looks like that. It's probably not that cause he only paid a few hundred for it but it's weird looking.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Shelia,

Prices of amber are pretty modest compared to other gems. The most highly prized pieces which command a premium are those which contain insects. Transparency and color also adds to the value.

It could very well be that the piece your brother owns is amber due to the nature of how it is formed and the insects which are trapped inside......

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Poor little bug.
1.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
You noted the countries known to be sources of amber. Yet, I've seen a large amount of amber for sale in Russia (Siberia), Denmark, and the Dominican Republic. Also, the legendary (and still mysteriously missing) amber room in St Petersburg suggests an ample supply thereabouts.

Goldenringlets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results