shape
carat
color
clarity

Amazing unique E color tranny with SBF or red flags???

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I had a very interesting conversation with Erica from Love Affair Diamonds about a diamond she first considered to keep for herself, but now would be willing to sell to me. Its this unique transitional cut diamond, E color with strong blue fluorescence:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-80ct-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-e-si1/

I would really appreciate your comments on this diamond, since it attracts me so much, but at the same time freaks me out, since - the table is big, the stone glows purple in sunlight, the girdle is very thin, I have so many questions about SBF, about the performance, leakage... everything. All in all it seems to be a unique stone with its own personality and I feel priviledged to be able to consider it, and attracted to the idea of owning it. At the same time it would be a huge investment for me. Plus, I live outside of the US, so shipping up and down would a bit difficult because of tax reasons.

What do you think? What issues do you see? What questions should I ask (myself)? Erica has been wonderful and responsive, I just need to be sure I am asking the right questions :) Thank you so much!

tranny_sbf_1.jpg

tranny_sbf_2.jpg

tranny_sbf_4.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beautiful stone. Ask about haziness / oiliness in sunlight. As for the blue color in the sun, that's up to you and whether or not you find it attractive - I love it, but that's just me. A thin girdle isn't a deal breaker, but care in setting selection is warranted.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With your budget and your location outside the U.S., have you considered perhaps having an independent appraiser with expertise in old-cuts (someone like David Atlas) evaluate the stone for you? He could likely advise on performance, leakage, the thin girdle, the fluor, etc. A third party providing an objective analysis could alleviate some of your concerns in buying a large-ticket diamond as an out-of-country buyer.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pretty stone but I am no a fan of the fl. in the sun.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I have an E with strong flour. The first day I got it, it glowed lavender in the sun and I just totally fell in love...HARD!! But I have yet to see the lavender glow again and I have been looking for it... I hope you get to see more of it if you decide to get the stone.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Dear ecf8503 thank you for reacting.

I asked Erica of course about the effects of the fluorescence (BTW its Very Strong Blue, I forgot the "Very" out of the equation) and she said that there is no "over blue" effect (not sure what this means exactly) and that the purple-blue only shows up in direct sunlight. In other lighting the diamond just looks a cool hued white, totally colorless, and "as icy white as it gets with no negative effects from fluoro at all".

To me, the photos do not really show this icy-ness of the stone. It either looks creamy/yellow or purple to me depending on the background and surroudings. Of course I know it is hard to take pictures of diamonds, maybe a comparison side by side with warmer stones will help.

For the girdle, I wanted to opt for a simple solitaire setting with 4 claw prongs, so I really have to think about the exposure issue. One thing might be to insure the diamond, but its not only about getting the money back once its damaged. I want to wear it and feel free, not watch each movement with care... at the same time I am not sure whether 6 prongs or 8 prongs would be enough, and then there is bezel...

Right now the diamond is with her jeweler, so I have some more time to consider the pros and cons...

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Thanks marymm - I think this is EXACTLY what I should do as soon as I decide to pull the trigger, still within the return period... I will indeed inquire already what my options are and who could I contact, plus how much would it cost me, etc.

Suggestions anyone on this matter???

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamondbug - so if I understand you correctly, it is not something that I would see all the time? Or it probably depends on the exact stone, but yours sometimes does and other times does not glow in direct sunlight?

I am a bit worried and at the same time really excited about the flouro thing. I read some available threats, watched some GOG videos, talked to some people, many just love it and said they never grew out of the love... but I guess this is hard to predict.

If you guys find any interesting material I should read/watch on this matter online please add a link. Thanks!!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it and it will always either look ice white or purple/blue in sunlight, the only way its going to look creamy or take on colour is picking up the surrounding colours from where you are standing and reflecting this back again and all diamonds do that.

You probably have to work out if you like fluorescence and a table you can drive a bus through (I have a large tabled tranny and it's a fireball but it does have a smaller table than this) but I trust that Erica generally doesn't picky smucky stones. It's a matter of deciding what your wishlist is, tranny versus OEC cut pattern, small table versus larger table, fluorescence versus none - these are all things only you can decide if you like or not.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Yes with my stone I do not see the flour all the time. I have not seen the lavender again and sometimes see the blue flour but not always.... I have no idea why that happens. I specifically wanted a stone with strong flour but was still pretty worried about getting a stone with strong blue flour but I have other stones that I could compare it to make sure that I am ok with it. It is also a 60/60 stone but with angles that PSer are more comfortable with/prefer. I think its CA 34.5 and PA 40.8. I compared it to my expert selection Whiteflash and GOG premium H&A stones and it performs as well. Hubby and a good friend ( who knows nothing about diamonds) actually picked it over the other two. But I was still not comfortable with keeping it without having a more experience person looking at it since I bought it from BN and they don't provide IS, ASETs or Sarin. So I sent it to Neil Beaty for an independent appraisal. It was money well spent for my peace of mind.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a huge tranny fan. I've seen some, and the fat arrows just appeal to me. If you love it, go for it. And I don't care about fluor. Maybe you do? I have an F with medium fluor.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I decided to pass on the diamond.

I think my main issue was actually the large table, since I always wanted an old cut with a puffy crown and small table and actually contacted Erica because of an OEC. That one got sold and we started the conversation on this transitional diamond. I know there the crowns are leff puffy and all, but still, the large table scared me. The fluorescence I found somehow freaky, but in a good way... an E and VSBF, that must be icy white.

I just wrote her that I am not taking it and feel like I might regret my decision.

Ohhhh... this is so difficult on distance :(

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock
It's a nice stone, but there will be more! Which one got away? If it was the 1.94 L, I missed that one too :cry:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear you passed on it, I love my diamond with VSPF. It it a lavender/cornflower blue like color in the sun and I just love the colors it throws.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
its still available and tempting me :) here are some additional shots and videos, what do you think?

No ASET, but there is an IS image, though the diamond isn't sitting perfectly straight.

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Client-Folders/1980-vs-2H28-vs-2r32-for-VdG/

You can expand the pics by clicking on them, and the videos can be adjusted for higher resolution and expanding the viewing size also, in the bottom right corner of the video you can click the different options.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about the amount of light leakage?

And if you were to buy the stone, would you risk a 4 prong setting or would you on purpose choose a setting protecting the girdle? Since that is my other issue - should I go for the stone, I feel a bit limited about the setting. Is the very thin girdle really already a big issue?

tranny_sbf_5.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lovely cut for an old stone and I absolutely love the VSBF with the high color! What I see, though, is closer to early modern round brilliant stone than OEC with the faceting and large table. It all depends on whether you are looking for a diamond that looks like an OEC or not. If you love trannys and early mrb's, then this is very nice.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Thank you DS for your input. I feel like I am sort of jumping from one cut to the other and instead of a special example of a cut I look for a special diamond in itself :)

I always felt that I will have to sacrifice color for size and in this case I stayed stunned that I could go icy white and have at the same time the unique fluoro and 1.8 is already nice weight for my taste.

I am worried about the girdle being very thin though and the light return. I prefer here the broader arrows to MRB and also - the whole combo is just so unique. I can search for an OEC a bit later ;-)

PS have you seen my question on the cushion cut in LM ? - what do you think about that one? Thank you?

PS2 - still have your AVR? Its gorgeous :) just out of my budget

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
SunnyDelta|1446845150|3946425 said:
It's a nice stone, but there will be more! Which one got away? If it was the 1.94 L, I missed that one too :cry:

Dear SunnyDelta, not sure you are reading this - but the stone you mention is just back for sale on LT :) So better hurry this time!

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock
Oh my! What a turn of events!

Thank you for the heads up, but I kind of wish I hadn't even seen that listing :(

I was one of several people on the waiting list for that stone and would have loved to have had it for my e-ring. I ended up purchasing another nice stone from Erica and am very far along in the process of having it set by Caysie. I don't have the funds to buy two diamonds (how I wish), also the price is even higher this time so definetly out of reach :( :( . Can't believe missed this one.....Twice.

DiamondXXX

Rough_Rock
Oh no, I am so sorry. I am out of the game too - purchased a Leon Mege cushion cut preloved ring. So no budget :( it's unbelievale that it is on the market again. Which stone did yoy end up getting? Cannot wait to see the ring :)

SunnyDelta

Rough_Rock
I think I know the one your speaking of in preloved, it's amazing! Can't wait to see your pics!

I initially contacted Erica over the 1.93, but when it sold I chose the 1.76 AGS I, and am having a custom setting made by Caysie.
The stone is smaller, but much whiter, no fluorescence, also has a gorgeous flower pattern, and most importantly its a performer! A completely different stone for sure, but I'm very excited about it! All is well that ends well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results