shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I the Only One with Setting Anxiety?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone ever have stone setting anxiety? :errrr: I just sent my FLY off to WF to be set and now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I bought a .93ct fly cushion cut diamond recently. I debated holding on to it and trading up when more cash was available, but since this particular piece will represent the birth of my daughter I decided I wanted to set it and just let it be- no trade up, resetting etc. Since cushions face up smaller and well I'm spoiled by large CS I knew I wanted a double halo. I contacted all the usual vendors and was surprised at how high prices were- even with the rise in gold. Anyhow WF ended up coming in 1/3 less what other vendors quoted if not more. Plus they already had a double halo design that I really liked, but will be tweaking making it two tone, with a possible split shank, different proportions. I really do like the piece as to me it has a very art deco halo feel to it, however I'm nervous it won't translate well with my FLY and that even with the double halo the ring will be small. I think they said it would be about 12mm across with the double halo.

Does anyone else think I'm acting crazy? I just want to know others out there have anxiety when commissioning a more meaningful custom piece.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
No, you're not the only one with setting anxiety. The more meaningful the project, the twitchier I get. Right now our DD's and I are in the middle of a project commemorating my mother that has probably given the vendor we are working with whiplash from all the direction changes.

I'll be very interested to hear what your experience with WF is like regarding the final price. I have not worked with them, but for one of my setting projects with a different vendor, I started out using one of their stock designs, made a few changes, and the price increased by about a third by the time we were done.

I can't wait to see the finished ring with the FLY! It sounds as though it's going to be amazing.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Nope, you're not the only one. That's what keeps me from setting more stones, the fear that I'll pick the wrong design or that I'll hate it once it's done. Ok, that and money are what keeps me from setting more stones.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! My ering convo with DanielM ended up being over 100 to-and-fros! - and it ended up being completely different from my first thoughts.

I have so many ideas and impulses for my CS, but when it comes to actually pinning them down, then indecision, anxiety and money make me stall. I can only commit to one project at the moment, and it's already gone down a different road to the initial thought. But then there's the fear that metal prices will only go up and up from here on in, and so I should act sooner than later if I have the funds...?! eek! :???: :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1314881661|3007282 said:
No, you're not the only one with setting anxiety. The more meaningful the project, the twitchier I get. Right now our DD's and I are in the middle of a project commemorating my mother that has probably given the vendor we are working with whiplash from all the direction changes.

I'll be very interested to hear what your experience with WF is like regarding the final price. I have not worked with them, but for one of my setting projects with a different vendor, I started out using one of their stock designs, made a few changes, and the price increased by about a third by the time we were done.

I can't wait to see the finished ring with the FLY! It sounds as though it's going to be amazing.

Aoife, It is actually not one of their stock designs. It is a custom design that apparently they made for another PSer. I told them I wanted a double halo and because they already had CAD's done on this one etc it probably did lower the price a bit. Right now I think we are pretty much set on design (just not sure of the split shank of not), but the price is pretty final unless I make any changes. I was actually surprized that the changes I did make didn't up the price significantly- only changed by maybe $300 total.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the design you are looking at the one made for a Mahenge cushion? I believe I know which one it is. In any case, this is one of the major reasons I went with WF; they will go through as many CAD revisions as needed until you are happy with the end result. I have been told that I am one of the most detail orientated customers that ever had the pleasure of working with (which is probably NOT a good thing) but if they can put up with me, I'm sure they can put up with just about anybody else. :bigsmile: Once they've the outline of the design quoted, in general, the pricing stays pretty much the same so there's no worry of a sudden increase in the final price.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear and Chrono, that's good to know, and would certainly incline me to work with WF in the future. If the design is the one I think it is, this really is going to be a lovely ring.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono! Yes the custom we are using is going to be Boom's double halo. WF said they could design anything but they offered this design and a legancy style double halo as the most affordable...as affordable as one can get with gold being $1900 an oz. ;( I love how art deco rings have different tiers on their halo- to me it brings in a structural element that is unigue about the ring. We are changing the prongs to be 18k yellow gold and adding in a more prounouced "border" underneath the diamond also in 18k yellow gold to bring out the FLY. And pending the CADS we might change it to have a split shank. I think once I see those I will know if I should edit or add to the ring. I love Boom's spinel ring but it was over 2cts so I'm not sure how my .93ct will translate into the same setting. Other double halos that vendors suggested didn't stand out to me- and some vendors weren't even taking on custom projects.

Aoife- This is my first experience with actually purchasing from WF. I have requested a quote before for a reset of my e-ring (didn't do as I was in the process of upgrading my diamond, but wish I had because the price is double now for the setting :nono: ) Anyhow the first WF rep who I worked with on this project just didn't hit it off with me. I know things can be misinterpeted over email but I just felt we were not clicking at all. It was making me very negative about the entire project and I almost shelved the entire thing. I finally just sent him an email saying thank you for your help but I would like to work with someone else. Traci has been my rep since and she is way more patient with me. I think she understands that I needed a litte more hand holding for this. She has been wonderful with answering email extremely fast and has understood all the changes I have expressed with the orginal custom design...plus I like that she adds in what she thinks, but doesn't push for it. So far she has been a doll to work with and if you contact WF I would go with her.

EDIT: Posting Boom's spinel ring so everyone can see the basic design. What does everyone think of this with a split shank with a little moer flurish? Will that take away from the FLY? I hope Boom doesn't mind me posting her beautiful ring. :love:

Also posting the other rings that I saw on pinterest which made me want more of an art deco ring with tiers and started this entire process. These were my orginal inspiration for the double halo. I think they are gorgeous!

spineldoublehalodiamondengagementring.jpg

InsprirationArtDeco Ring.jpg

106300202_NmQxUgWU_c.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that is Boom’s ring? If it isn't, you should also be able to pull up pictures of her WF Mahenge double halo ring from Pricescope.

A CAD should help you (and us) visualize the entire package with all the modifications much better. I do agree that having a good rep can make or break the relationship with the vendor. I’ve also had private complaints from other PSers regarding one particular rep from WF. I’ve dealt with Sheerah and Joe for all 3 projects, if that’s any help.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1314888565|3007374 said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that is Boom’s ring? If it isn't, you should also be able to pull up pictures of her WF Mahenge double halo ring from Pricescope.

A CAD should help you (and us) visualize the entire package with all the modifications much better. I do agree that having a good rep can make or break the relationship with the vendor. I’ve also had private complaints from other PSers regarding one particular rep from WF. I’ve dealt with Sheerah and Joe for all 3 projects, if that’s any help.

EEEEKKKK Chono thank you so much for the correction. You are right. I did a quick search and it is Boom's ring. I have edited for the correct PSer. I have a horrible memeory- I blame it on being pregnant :tongue: . WF did tell me the custom ring was from an orginal PSer so when I searched for it a few weeks ago I was confusing it with someone else.

The WF rep who I didn't care to work with is not someone I think you have dealt with before. I'm sure we are talking about the same person though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I thin it's totally normal. I've had a stone for 2 years, and the last 6 months I have been completely paralyzed about how to set it. I can't even decide between bezeling or not, even with using foil. I've already decided that I have to go with a craftsperson whose taste I trust, and I cannot go the route of finding someone who is just a good CAD or bench person. I don't trust myself!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1314887547|3007357 said:
Aoife- This is my first experience with actually purchasing from WF. I have requested a quote before for a reset of my e-ring (didn't do as I was in the process of upgrading my diamond, but wish I had because the price is double now for the setting :nono: ) Anyhow the first WF rep who I worked with on this project just didn't hit it off with me. I know things can be misinterpeted over email but I just felt we were not clicking at all. It was making me very negative about the entire project and I almost shelved the entire thing. I finally just sent him an email saying thank you for your help but I would like to work with someone else. Traci has been my rep since and she is way more patient with me. I think she understands that I needed a litte more hand holding for this. She has been wonderful with answering email extremely fast and has understood all the changes I have expressed with the orginal custom design...plus I like that she adds in what she thinks, but doesn't push for it. So far she has been a doll to work with and if you contact WF I would go with her.

EDIT: Posting Boom's spinel ring so everyone can see the basic design. What does everyone think of this with a split shank with a little moer flurish? Will that take away from the FLY? I hope Boom doesn't mind me posting her beautiful ring. :love:

Also posting the other rings that I saw on pinterest which made me want more of an art deco ring with tiers and started this entire process. These were my orginal inspiration for the double halo. I think they are gorgeous!

That's very interesting. Bad business for WF if this particular rep made you (and others, apparently) have second thoughts about a project. I'm glad you were persistent, though, because that is the ring I was thinking you were referencing, and I love, love, love it. Regarding the split shank: it's all about proportion, and I do think sometimes a split shank can draw the eye away from the center of the ring. Since you already have a double halo, I'm not sure that a split shank would be a good thing. If you decide to try that idea out, though, I'd love to see the CAD's. I've been known to be wrong :cheeky:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I definitely get setting anxiety too, I'm sure most PSer's do! I'm sure your ring will turn out beautifully, I love the double halo design you've picked. I vote for going with a split-shank, I love frosted's Tiffany Soleste and wintotty's DBL ring:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-soleste-as-per-request.161382/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-soleste-as-per-request.161382/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-rhr-double-halo-yellow-diamond-ring.157408/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-rhr-double-halo-yellow-diamond-ring.157408/[/URL]

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are definitely not the only one! It took me 2 years to figure out how to set a loose diamond I own. 2 years! I was so indecisive! I hate committing to a setting. I can commit to a stone, but not a darn setting, lol. :rodent: Unless it's a stock piece that I can see and try on, it's just so hard guessing how something will look.

I think your double halo will look stunning! The nice thing is that it's not completely custom since they already have CADS to start from.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1314891305|3007432 said:
I thin it's totally normal. I've had a stone for 2 years, and the last 6 months I have been completely paralyzed about how to set it. I can't even decide between bezeling or not, even with using foil. I've already decided that I have to go with a craftsperson whose taste I trust, and I cannot go the route of finding someone who is just a good CAD or bench person. I don't trust myself!

this is EXACTLY one of the reasons I have set so few of my stones.
I couldn't have said it better....
A weird thing is, the more a stone means to me, the worse that seems to make it ~~~~~
Why is that ?!?!?!?!?
One of my favorite stones is set, and every time I wear it,
I love it, but I hate to say I DO wonder what it would be like
if it was reset into something a bit more...... blingy?

Also, setting is expensive, and I enjoy my stones loose, too ...
but the indecision !!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaa :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
You're not the only one. I have a teeny sapphire I love from Dana that I've had for two years and haven't set yet. It isn't the money involved, it's that I don't want to have to redo it if I guess wrong. Ditto on a lovely tourm from Barry that was meant to be a present (the intended decided she didn't want it).

The fact that I did a piece with JKT and it turned out a bit shoddy doesn't help (also a gift), nor that I got a blue zircon set into my e-ring stone's old setting (a family vintage piece) and the benchman laughed at us for setting, as he put it, something so worthless into a beautiful setting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
buying the stone is the easy part...........2nd guessing re setting is pure hades.

fzpanda

Rough_Rock
Nope, you are certainly not alone...

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
No, not at all! I worry not just whether I will like the design but also whether enough light will hit the stone, whether the metal color will change my perception of the stone, etc. My favorite stone, a sapphire, is coming back to me next week and I am on pins and needles... the setting I wanted had to be changed and I don't even know what I will think of the new one. AGH.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results