shape
carat
color
clarity

Am i the only one that is looking to downsize a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
about two months ago i bought a 3+ ct from jonathan of GOG. i know it was too big for me as soon as i saw the stone,but what surprise me was my wife said its too big for her,so i''m asking jonathan to find me one under 3 ct is that weird or what?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I don't think this is weird. I love diamonds like most women here on this board, but wouldn't feel comfortable wearing anything above about a 1.2 for my finger just because I'm petite and it wouldn't be me to wear a large stone. It's better to have a stone that you love & feel comfortable wearing ALL THE TIME, versus a stone you hardly wear out of discomfort, embarrassement, or whatever reason may exist.

Hope you find a great new stone your wife loves!

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAH! Did she wear it for a while? If so, it would quickly become not 'too big'. It's amazing what your eye will accept after a few weeks. Hehee.

Send it to me, I will wear it and send you back my 1.29c stone. Deal?
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
ROFL....Mara. You crack me up. I'll throw my .76 into the mix, just in case your rock is too big also Mara. teehee

Shay

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 12:33:12 AM Mara wrote:

HAH! Did she wear it for a while? If so, it would quickly become not 'too big'. It's amazing what your eye will accept after a few weeks. Hehee.

Send it to me, I will wear it and send you back my 1.29c stone. Deal?
2.gif

----------------

mara,

she did try it on. said it was too big for her so she's wearing her 1.15 ct now. the one that i had recut and lost .32 ct. so it wouldn't make too much sense to trade for your 1.29. the size would be pretty close to the 1.15 she has now.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size is your wife thinking of exchanging the three carat for?

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No actually there is a difference between 1.15 and 1.29. REALLY. There is. I promise.
2.gif

I didn't say have her TRY ON the 3c. I said have her WEAR IT for a while (aka few weeks). Then we'll see what she says.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 2:14:31 AM MichelleCarmen wrote:

What size is your wife thinking of exchanging the three carat for?

Michelle----------------

Michelle

I'am thinking about 2.75ct.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 2:16:53 AM Mara wrote:

No actually there is a difference between 1.15 and 1.29. REALLY. There is. I promise.
2.gif

I didn't say have her TRY ON the 3c. I said have her WEAR IT for a while (aka few weeks). Then we'll see what she says.
2.gif

----------------

Mara
she wouldn't even wear it for a few hours,say its too big,9.7 mm too big for a woman ?

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think this is strange at all. People have different tastes. There are a lot of people here who like their stones to be big BIG, BIG!. There are a few of us who like the medium size and small stone too though. My e-ring is a stunning 3/4 carat. I've been wearing it for over two years, and I know that is big enough for me. I plan on getting many other diamond pieces (I'm having some earrings made as we speak!) but I don't think I ever need a stone bigger than my e-ring. I just like to wear smaller pieces of jewelery.

It's not like I'm surround by small stones either. My mom sports a 3 carat ring, and most of my friends' e-rings are 1.5+. I just love my e-ring (it helps that the quality of my stone is absolute top-notch.)

Good luck in your search for a new stone!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 2:38:59 AM sumi wrote:

I don't think this is strange at all. People have different tastes. There are a lot of people here who like their stones to be big BIG, BIG!. There are a few of us who like the medium size and small stone too though. My e-ring is a stunning 3/4 carat. I've been wearing it for over two years, and I know that is big enough for me. I plan on getting many other diamond pieces (I'm having some earrings made as we speak!) but I don't think I ever need a stone bigger than my e-ring. I just like to wear smaller pieces of jewelery.

It's not like I'm surround by small stones either. My mom sports a 3 carat ring, and most of my friends' e-rings are 1.5+. I just love my e-ring (it helps that the quality of my stone is absolute top-notch.)

Good luck in your search for a new stone!----------------

Sumi
Agree, a nice stone is a nice stone no matter the size.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/13/2004 3:34:12 AM vtigger86 wrote:

Sumi
Agree, a nice stone is a nice stone no matter the size.
----------------

So perfectly said, Vtigger!!!!!

appl.gif

DiamondLil

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm. I do think there are differences even when you wouldn't think the carat weight is much different, and I do think there will be a difference b/w a 2.75 and 3...but if I 3 is huge, then I don't see how a 2.75 will be "small enough"...I think a 2.5 D IF would do the trick though!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I agree. A 2.75 just doesn't seem small enough to justify the exchange if the 3 is too big. I'd go with 2.5 or even smaller. Actually, I'd drag your wife to a jeweler, make her try on different sizes, figure out her preferred dimensions, and have Jonathan look for those dimensions. Otherwise we're still basically guessing at what "too big" actually means.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
vtigger, I know the 3 carat was for you. Is the new one going to be for you or for your wife?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
"I agree. A 2.75 just doesn't seem small enough to justify the exchange if the 3 is too big. I'd go with 2.5 or even smaller. Actually, I'd drag your wife to a jeweler, make her try on different sizes, figure out her preferred dimensions, and have Jonathan look for those dimensions. Otherwise we're still basically guessing at what "too big" actually means."

Well said, Hest88! I personally don't like round stones larger than 2.5 cts--although I LOVE big square stones! It's funny, but the difference between a 2.5 and 2.75 RB is enough to make me walk away because it starts looking like costume jewelry on me!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 10:42:56 AM moremoremore wrote:

Hmmmm. I do think there are differences even when you wouldn't think the carat weight is much different, and I do think there will be a difference b/w a 2.75 and 3...but if I 3 is huge, then I don't see how a 2.75 will be 'small enough'...I think a 2.5 D IF would do the trick though!
1.gif
----------------

mmm,
yup, i see that. IF princess comming towards you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 11:36:57 AM Hest88 wrote:

I agree. A 2.75 just doesn't seem small enough to justify the exchange if the 3 is too big. I'd go with 2.5 or even smaller. Actually, I'd drag your wife to a jeweler, make her try on different sizes, figure out her preferred dimensions, and have Jonathan look for those dimensions. Otherwise we're still basically guessing at what 'too big' actually means.----------------

Hest88,
the 3+ ct is 9.7 mm. if i were to go a 2.75, that would be about 9.0 mm. wouldn't that make a lot of difference?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
the 3+ ct is 9.7 mm. if i were to go a 2.75, that would be about 9.0 mm. wouldn't that make a lot of difference?----------------

I don't think it makes a large enough difference to make me comfortable that you're making the right choice. If the 3 carat is too big for her, I suspect it's "a lot" too big, not slightly too big. If it were just slightly too big she'd live with it. Your wife, of course, could be a huge perfectionist--the kind who deliberates between half a dozen paint chips with shades that normal people would say look exactly the same. If that's the case I can understand her being bothered by a stone slightly too big for her. If she's a normal person, though, she means that the 3 carat is honking huge.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What kind of setting is the current stone in? I think that makes a big difference.
But, I wholeheartedly agree with Mara in that she needs to WEAR it -- trying it on means nothing. ANY new piece of jewelry feels "funny/strange" in the store. Not until you actually OWN it, and wear it for say at least a week, and it becomes a natural "part" of the person can she say for certain that it is or is not "her". Also, I find that if the stone is mounted really low, it makes a difference because it is more stable on the finger (does not spin as high set stones do) as well as it feels like a part of the finger, and not something protruding from the finger, if that makes sense. When I got my 3.29 14 months ago, sure it felt strange when I first got it. Then it bothered me like made because it was in a Stuller 6-prong setting and even though they set it as far down in that mounting that it could go, it still sat "up" and spun around my finger and was just very annoying. Then I had my extremely low, basket set three stone mounting made with the trillions on each side two months ago (that I've posted on this board) and it is fabulous. It is so comfortable, doesn't spin, just sits right there on my finger where it should, and is so low to the finger/skin that it feels like a natural part of my hand. And I don't think it looks too big at all. My stone is a 9.59mm. If she thinks that a 2.75 will make her happier, then go for it, and Jonathon is great to accommodate you. However, I think that if she had it in the right setting and wore it for a couple of weeks, she would find that what Mara said is true -- it will feel just right! Hey, this should be the worst "problem" you have!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/13/2004 1:16:03 PM Patty wrote:

vtigger, I know the 3 carat was for you. Is the new one going to be for you or for your wife? ----------------

patty,
actually the 3+ ct is too big for both of us. so if i downsize to a 2.75 ct, and if she still think its too big,then i'll wear it myself. and she still can wear her 1.15 ct.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/13/2004 8:46:05 PM vtigger86 wrote:

----------------
On 7/13/2004 1:16:03 PM Patty wrote:

vtigger, I know the 3 carat was for you. Is the new one going to be for you or for your wife? ----------------

patty,
actually the 3+ ct is too big for both of us. so if i downsize to a 2.75 ct, and if she still think its too big,then i'll wear it myself. and she still can wear her 1.15 ct.----------------

Okay, my two cents???? Downsize the diamond and use the returned money to get a pendant or a pair of earrings to go with the diamond you've downsized!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the explanation.

Why doesn't your wife go try on various sizes and decide how big she wants to go before you buy another stone?

Or she could buy a CZ from Wink and see for herself how big a 2 or 2 1/2 carat stone is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results