shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good price?

garek007

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I got a price quote for a wedding band the other day. The band has diamonds all around, total weight is .25 ct. The metal is platinum and the diamonds are channel set. Diamond color is G-H, clarity SI1-SI2

They quoted me about 2500 for the band. Does this sound right?

garek007

Shiny_Rock
I should also note that it's channel set and has a decent amount of metal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

garek007

Shiny_Rock
It's hard to tell, but it seems like the one I looked at might have had slightly more metal and been a bit nicer than those? The one he quoted me was a bit more rounded.

I am going through a B&M, is this just normal? Can I bring him down any?

I bought the diamond for my girlfriend from Union Diamond, then this B&M set it. Now we have gone back to them for the bands. Maybe he figures he has us on the hook so he is trying to overprice us?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B&M charge more.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quality of the stones in the bands that DiamondSeeker posted for you are very nice. The impact comes from the stones, not the metal. I would strongly suggest that you consider some of the ones she posted - you can see from the diamond weight alone that you would be getting more bang for the buck!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is there a reason you feel like you have to get the bands at this B&M? There are plenty of online vendors with lovely bands to choose from. ID Jewelry has a lot to offer and they are terrific to work with. $2500 for what you're getting seems high to me.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
garek007|1306880303|2934779 said:
It's hard to tell, but it seems like the one I looked at might have had slightly more metal and been a bit nicer than those? The one he quoted me was a bit more rounded.

I am going through a B&M, is this just normal? Can I bring him down any?

I bought the diamond for my girlfriend from Union Diamond, then this B&M set it. Now we have gone back to them for the bands. Maybe he figures he has us on the hook so he is trying to overprice us?
As Kenny points out, B&M's usually charge more than the discount Internet folks. Whether or not it's worth it to you to have one in your neighborhood is up to you. There's value in that, as you've discovered in getting your diamond set. FWIW, Union is a B&M for people who happen to live in the right neighborhood. It *IS* possible for B&M's to compete on price but whether or not this fits the business model of your local guy is up to him.

Will he negotiate? Maybe. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask. I promise, you won't be the first. Show him some of the ads given by the folks above and see what he has to say.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
More metal is not a good thing. You want less metal 8) At least most people do. I suppose if you are really loving the look of more metal that is your perogative.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your advice.

Dreamer, I do want more metal, just because I want it to be solid. Not necessarily more metal than diamonds, but I don't want the diamond edges exposed.

Denver,

Good advice. I went the online route initially and bought the stone from Union Diamond. I got the setting from this B&M. I kinda wish I'd have gone Scott Kay and done the whole thing from UD.

I do not particularly want to go through this BM, but he did the original setting, and it's nice for my fiance to have a local store she can go to if the ring loses a stone or something.

I did the online thing for me, with the stone, so that I could get the best deal. Now it is her turn and if she feels like online vendors are cheap and cheesy, then we will go the B&M route. (again, not my choice, I think online vendors are fine).

I will take a look at some of the other bands you have all posted and see what she thinks. If I can find one that is similar, I will try to negotiate.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
garek007|1307385188|2939109 said:
Dreamer, I do want more metal, just because I want it to be solid. Not necessarily more metal than diamonds, but I don't want the diamond edges exposed.

A well done channle set band will have less metal than a poorly done one AND will be totally solid with no exposed girdles. The highest quality ones have very thin rails of metal on either side of the diamonds.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
The ring I saw was a really nice ring. elegant. I'm not sure how thin we are talking, but I think you'd be impressed. I haven't found anything quite like it online, otherwise I may have gone that route.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
garek007|1307648976|2941884 said:
The ring I saw was a really nice ring. elegant. I'm not sure how thin we are talking, but I think you'd be impressed. I haven't found anything quite like it online, otherwise I may have gone that route.

Well I am glad you are happy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results