shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

limetwig

Rough_Rock
I would like to buy an engagement ring within the next week or so and have been overwhelmed by the number of considerations and price fluctuations.
I think I've narrowed my choices down to these two, but am very paranoid about getting "ripped off" since my experience in this area is very limited.
I'd appreciate any one's opinions with regard to whether or not these are reasonable prices.
All of the prices include the setting (nothing terribly fancy--18k gold French Tiffany with platinum prongs).
All are round cut diamonds.

#1) 1.41 carat F SI2 (cut a rates 4.2 on Halloway Cut Adviser; girdle is thick, faceted) Cost $7100 + 6% sales tax
The color on this stone is great and it looks beautiful--I just don't know if I'm comfortable with the SI2 (the inclusions that I could see using the loupe were not bad at all to me) and I dont' know if this price is high considering that it's an SI2

#2) 1.28 carat H VS2 (I don't have crown or pavilion %s for this one so I couldn't use the Halloway Cut Adviser.) However, the depth is 61.9 and the table is 58. Cost is $6397 including tax

This one is a very beautiful stone but I don't know if I want to go as low as an H in color--it didn't look bad until I went to another jeweler and saw an E.

I know much of this decision comes down to personal taste, and honestly both stones are beautiful and have their pros and cons.
I'd just appreciate the input of someone with more expertise than I have in terms of whether or not these prices are fair--and if they're high, what a good retail price would be to pay for them.

Thanks.

Jess

Rough_Rock
I found these on pricescope

H
SI1
0 (H&A)
HCA 0.8-EX
ex-ex-ex-vg
34.4°
43%
AGS
n
pt
id
id
no
$6990

H
SI1
61%
56%
AGS
thn-me
no
id
id
no
7.17-7.12-4.36
$5078
$6804*

G
SI1
61.7%
56%
GIA
no
ex
ex
no
6.98-7.03x4.32
$5238
$6704*

H
SI1
60.9%
55%
AGS
n
pt
id
id
no
7.23-7.24x4.41
$5080
$6990

I think you can do better than a 4.something on HCA for that money, but if you have seen it and find it beautiful, go for it. I personally wouldn't worry about a H color, but like you said, that is personal. Good luck in your search!
:wavey:

limetwig

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for getting back to me Jess.
I'm not familiar with Pricescope so I'm guessing that since most of the listings end with two prices, the first one is their price for the diamond and the second one the appraised value?

The 1.28 carat stone seems very similar to the one I'm considering--it's a grade higher in color ("G" rather than "H") but clarity isn't quite as good (SI1 rather than a VS2).
Do you think that the fact that they're listing it for almost a thousand dollars less than the price I was quoted means the deal I was offered is not so good?

Also, do jewelers expect you to bargain with them the way you would a car dealer? Their prices seem firm, but maybe I'm just not good at "reading" them. Both dealers are well-established shops--one in "jeweler's row" in Philadelphia.

Anyway, your info was very helpful. Thanks again.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jess has presented stone that are or have a better chance of being well cut that the stones you listed.

The 2 prices are per carat and carat price x weight.

10,000pc 1.3 ct = 13,000 for the stone.

We are not selling the stones from pricescope - we are just allowing you to see the best prices by comparing those from 50 vendors all in the one stop.
It is a free service, and the diamonds are often cheaper here than if you went direct to the vendors website - so there is no under the table hanky panky :)

Dave Atlas is an excellent appraiser in Philly - if you look at the appraiser section on the front page you will find him.

Happy shopping.
BTW if you want a way to tell if the diamond is well cut (the lights in jewellers make tham all look great) then try www.ideal-scope.com

Jess

Rough_Rock
Sorry all of that wasn't clear, Limetwig. I just copied and pasted right from the search results. Just go to www.pricescope.com and search from the lower left corner. You can click on "price" when you get results and sort the results by price. That way you can see what is in your price range. If you are new to the site, I would read everything you can possibly click on. There is some really awesome infomation on this site that will teach you have to get the most for your money. I am not an expert, by the way. I just hang out on this forum and on pricescope all the time...kind of a hobby, I guess. Anyway, happy searching...it can be fun!:wavey:

Jess

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, the other thing is, unless these vendors are in your state, no sales tax, and some throw in free shipping...just an added perk!

limetwig

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the info Jess.
I dealt a little with the dealer who has the 4.1 carat F SI2 (4.2 HSA) and he came down to $6750 including the setting and sales tax.
I think that's the one I'm going to go with
(unless you think it's really high for a 4.2 HSA)...
I appreciate your input!:))

Jess

Rough_Rock
You need to do what you feel comfortable with. I still think you can get a spectacular stone online, but there is something to be said for dealing with a person that you can get cleanings, etc from. You might want to show him a few of the stone on pricescope. He may be able to get you one of them for just a little more. From what I understand, they have access to the same stones. Anyway, good luck! I hope she loves it!:love:

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 12:49:26 PM

(unless you think it's really high for a 4.2 HSA)...

What are the table % & depth % - these are impertive for a quick look at the cut. I may be overstepping bounds here - but cut of a stone IS the stone - its what make a DIAMOND. Many of the other variables can be manipulated to taste; but not the cut. It's a case of mathmatics. The cut need to be inside certain tolerances. I know many on board have less tolerance than I do on cut - so this in not my bandwagon but - I have seen E, VS1 stones that are totally dead of brilliance, fire or both because they were poorly cut. And, at the end of the day, I had found w/ my 3 carat diamond search that cut ultimately determined the price. I was offered an eye clean very white stone 3.3 carats at 8,000 - (on the secondary market). It was dead - the table was huge and the stone way to shallow. I paid twice the amount for a stone of lesser color and very good to excellent cut. I put my money where my mouth is.

limetwig

Rough_Rock
I actually ended up plugging the stats of the other diamond I was seriously considering into the HCA and it scored a "1" (as opposed to the 4.2 for the one I almost bought). It also was a VS2 rather than the SI2 of the other diamond. Even though the color wasn't as high ("H" rather than "F") and it was slightly smaller (1.28 vs. 1.41), I ended up deciding that I couldn't pass up such a great cut and bought it last night. I ended up with a 1.28 carat H VS2 for $6450 including the setting.
Thanks to everyone for their input in helping me choose a beautiful diamond for what hopefully was a reasonable price. I'm sure my fiance will love it :))

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2002 5:47:25 AM

Great, sounds Fab. She's got to love it.

Jess

Rough_Rock
Congratulations, I am sure she will love it. I am glad you went for the better cut stone. I think even though it is a little smaller and not quite as white (like anyone is going to be able to tell) you will get the compliments with this one!
:appl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results