shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good deal plus a couple other questions.

dsg03svt

Rough_Rock
About to upgrade my fiance's engagement band and purchase a wedding band at the same time.

Currently, she has a 1.5ct round on a tiffany setting.

She is looking to either go w/ a 3/4 eternity shared prong w/ 3 pointers (2mm) 14k white gold ($2800 includes appraisal, and resetting a cz in her current tiffany setting so she has something to put on at the beach and what not)

OR

3/4 eternity micro prong w/ 2 pointers (2mm) 14k white gold ($2500 - same bonuses as above)

The jeweler is a friend of a friend "wholesaler type" and was who I originally purchased the original e-ring from. He has been great to work with so far. He assures me that the accent diamonds will all match to her current diamond (1.5ct D H&A eye clean SI1 EGL).

Also, in everyone's experience, she is looking for the bands to have a squared off look to them. We originally looked at 5 pointers in a shared prong but it had too much circle appearance when looked at from above. Going down to 3 pointers will it look more squared off at all, or would we need to do the 2 pointers in a 4 prong type setting to get the squared look to the band?

Thanks!

-Kyle

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I am unsure what you are asking. Do you have pictures of what you mean by 'squared off' and 'rounded'? Are these prices for the reset only or the reset and a matching wedding band?

if you are considering a shared prong style I would recommend getting a small spacer band to wear in between the rings so the exposed girdles do not scratch.

dsg03svt

Rough_Rock
Sorry for my terrible descriptors.

I would think that going to 3 pointers, the girdles are not as protruding and match up more with the prongs and look more squared. Also, if the bottom of the bands were to be soldered together, would that prevent the need for a spacer. She doesn't like the spacer idea.

Prices are for both the e-ring and wb.

Here are examples:

"Circles"
circle.jpg

"Squared Off"
mara%20rings%20collage%200205.jpg

I would think that going to 3 pointers, the girdles are not as protruding and match up more with the prongs and look more squared. Also, if the bottom of the bands were to be soldered together, would that prevent the need for a spacer. She doesn't like the spacer idea.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Size of the stones does not matter for girdles or for the appearance. It is the setting type. Mara's set, which you like in the photos, is 4 prong style. So get that if you want the more squared look. But girdles will rub the solitaire in most shared prong styles.

This is the setting stle you want, I was told at one point by BGD that this style would not rub a solitiare: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5433

Price is high for what you describe. Here is a comparable for price:

18k gold (more costly that 14k by a few hundred), 3/4 eternity with 3 point stones: http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/diamonds-for-an-eternity-3-4-diamond-wedding-band-850.htm

I'd expect your option 2 to cost about the same. I would expect the reset fee to be waived if I was buying the new setting/diamond/CZ from the jeweler. You should have an appraisal done elsewhere, but would likely cost $50-$100.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the price sounded very high as well. Unless you are talking 2500 for both a new setting AND a wedding band set AND the CZ for the existing setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results