shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good deal from Old World Diamonds?

stephhuis

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My boyfriend and I are working with Adam from Old World Diamonds on creating an engagement ring. I told him that we had a $12.5k budget and he showed me one diamond in budget (1.78 L/VS1 for $12,000) and two that are outside of budget (1.92 K/VS2 for $14,000 and 1.65 J/VS1 for $14,000). He let me know that in order of best cut, his personal preference in order is the J, L, and then the K. Since the K is out of budget anyway, I figure it's narrowed down to the J and L.

I love the J, but we would be stretching quite a bit to push to $14,000. Is it worth it? Do you think these prices seem fair? Is there a huge difference in color between a J and an L? This is my first time working with Adam.

(Please let me know if these links don't work!)

Thanks!

Link to the L: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1REhI4PLOerOIwLtouZxEFVIUzf4OQZSU/view?usp=sharing

Link to the J: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jJvaxhnOCJBodR0akQNGhuR2kWv-pCL/view?usp=sharing

Link to both together: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HNWybdZaLlB4wHbsg3Ebs1t6Cp6VgzBw/view?usp=sharing

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I think the prices are fair.

Here is a comp for the L from Jewels by Grace:
Yours is similar size, same color, 1 better clarity grade for 1.8k cheaper.

Here is a comp for the J:
Yours is similar size, same color, 1 better clarity grade for $950 cheaper.

I also wanted to note that your full name shows when I click on your links. You may want to upload them to YouTube or something or change your name before linking.

stephhuis

Rough_Rock

I also wanted to note that your full name shows when I click on your links. You may want to upload them to YouTube or something or change your name before linking.

Thank you so much. This is helpful for me to see for comparison. I am really hoping for a white-facing diamond, and I am trying to decide if the color difference between the J and the L is enough to justify the price difference. I can't see much of a difference here color-wise, but it may be because the J is in a bezel setting. I could definitely see a difference between the K and the L that Adam showed me, so I am guessing the difference will probably be more substantial in the J vs L comparison. Just wondering how much, since it's a little hard to tell in the setting.

Also, I just changed my name! Thanks for the heads up!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think moreso than the colour, my eyes are drawn to the faceting of the J.

Which one do you prefer to look at? I think it ultimately comes down to that.

stephhuis

Rough_Rock
I think moreso than the colour, my eyes are drawn to the faceting of the J.

Which one do you prefer to look at? I think it ultimately comes down to that.

I definitely agree with this, too! I am most drawn to OECs because of their chunky faceting and the way they catch the light and the J just seems to have a little more sparkle and character.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Lol sorry I take that back. I meant I liked the loose one more.

I got mixed up with the links and my baby brain read but didn't read haha.

Go for the loose L! Good luck :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the setting the J is currently in come into play at all in your decision making vs the setting you might have previously imagined for your ER?
Meaning if you ever see yourself wanting to take it out of the bezel - have you looked at the GIA report to review the girdle info so there’s no surprises later.

(I have a EGL J OEC [from Adam!] that does face up very ‘white’ in certain environments. It also doesn’t face up very white at all in certain environments. If this would bother you - I’d lean away from the GIA L)

Congratulations on your engagement!

Last edited:

Grymera

Shiny_Rock

These are definitely valid comps but Jewels by Grace is definitely going to be on the higher side of "retail" prices.

If lower colors are OK - here's a 2.57ct VS2 S-T from Ivy and Rose for $9.6k
Here's a 1.71 K from Parks Fine Group for $7400 (SI2, one grade less for clarity but $4k cheaper)
A closer comp - 1.83 L VS2 $7k from Parks Fine Group (although I think the facet pattern on yours is prettier, but is it $5k prettier?)

BUT, here's the huge caveat with all of that, all the ones I highlighted above have a less desirable cut/facet pattern. With antique stones, it's all about how it looks to you and what you want to prioritize. You will pay a bigger premium for the nicest cut, so I don't think the prices are totally unreasonable, just on the side of retail for these stones. Plus, what about the setting. If it were my money, I might consider the 2.5ct from Ivy and Rose and plunk the remaining $5k into a hand forged setting from Victor Canera (assuming he'd set an outside stone). But again, only you can decide what matters the most to you.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
These are definitely valid comps but Jewels by Grace is definitely going to be on the higher side of "retail" prices.

If lower colors are OK - here's a 2.57ct VS2 S-T from Ivy and Rose for $9.6k
Here's a 1.71 K from Parks Fine Group for $7400 (SI2, one grade less for clarity but $4k cheaper)
A closer comp - 1.83 L VS2 $7k from Parks Fine Group (although I think the facet pattern on yours is prettier, but is it $5k prettier?)

BUT, here's the huge caveat with all of that, all the ones I highlighted above have a less desirable cut/facet pattern. With antique stones, it's all about how it looks to you and what you want to prioritize. You will pay a bigger premium for the nicest cut, so I don't think the prices are totally unreasonable, just on the side of retail for these stones. Plus, what about the setting. If it were my money, I might consider the 2.5ct from Ivy and Rose and plunk the remaining $5k into a hand forged setting from Victor Canera (assuming he'd set an outside stone). But again, only you can decide what matters the most to you.

This is true too. JbyG and OWD prices are definitely more on the side of retail. So if you really want a “deal” then you do have to compromise something. Also, as a consumer, if you want a “deal” you have to know exactly what you like/want and you have to act fast. These deals won’t last long (since people that DO know what they want will snap them up) and they go quick (in mere minutes if not seconds, for Alex).

So OP, I wasn’t sure how comfortable you would be making that kind of a decision on the spot since it seems like this is a decision being made by not just you but also your SO.

If you are comfortable making a quick decision and are OK with just buying from IG, then other than the vendors mentioned above, I would also suggest this seller. She has some pretty good prices too

As for the color, I agree with @Rfisher. If you want a white facing stone in all lighting situations, then I would stay away from a L too to be safe. There is a bigger range of color within a color grade as you go down further in color grade. So range of color possibilities for a L will be bigger than that of a J.

I personally have different tolerances for my engagement ring vs rest of my jewelry. So while I’m fine with more tinted stones for RHR or other jewelry, for my engagement ring, GIA J is probably my sweet spot . That’s just my personally preference. Others don’t even have different tolerances and even prefer lower colored stones for old cuts across the board.

Facet preferences, color sensitivity and color perception are all very personal and individualized so this circles back to the fact that especially with old cuts, you have to to know what you want. Otherwise, you do need more hand holding and guidance that retailers can provide. Such services do come with a price (as they should and which is why I said the OWD prices are “fair” for what you get as a whole buying experience).

Last edited:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I just remembered that @AnastasiaBeaverhausen has her OEC listed with Grace!

This may be the best “deal” you may be able to find right now since she’s open to reasonable offers. Check out the additional pics and videos that Ana has on her Loupetroop link and if you like what you see, reach out to Grace with your offer. Obviously, also check with Grace about the stone being eye clean.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the videos, I much prefer the L OEC (the loose stone).

To my eyes the L OEC comes off as more white-facing while the J OEC seems to have a darker/steely tint.

I also prefer the faceting of the L OEC.

In my opinion, OWD pricing is quite fair particularly considering their wide inventory of antique diamonds.

Perhaps Adam has photos/videos of the J OEC from when it was loose?

If you haven't already, ask Adam for his comments about the tints of the two stones -- tints definitely play into color perception -- perhaps the J has a gray/steely tint and the L has a brown tint?

If time permits, maybe take advantage of the OWD 10-day return policy and buy whichever one most calls out to you, so you can inspect it in your own various environments to see its color and its performance ...

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
This is true too. JbyG and OWD prices are definitely more on the side of retail. So if you really want a “deal” then you do have to compromise something. Also, as a consumer, if you want a “deal” you have to know exactly what you like/want and you have to act fast. These deals won’t last long (since people that DO know what they want will snap them up) and they go quick (in mere minutes if not seconds, for Alex).

So OP, I wasn’t sure how comfortable you would be making that kind of a decision on the spot since it seems like this is a decision being made by not just you but also your SO.

Excellent points all around. You definitely get additional value from OWD's service and selection. It'll ultimately just depend on OP's preferences and comfort level with making the purchase.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have heard great things about Adam. He won't necessarily be the cheapest, but you will get the widest range of selection from him.

What metal do you plan to use for the setting?

Just based on just the vids, I like the L more. I am curious what the depths are in both the stones.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:

webhopper

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. My boyfriend and I are working with Adam from Old World Diamonds on creating an engagement ring. I told him that we had a $12.5k budget and he showed me one diamond in budget (1.78 L/VS1 for $12,000) and two that are outside of budget (1.92 K/VS2 for $14,000 and 1.65 J/VS1 for $14,000). He let me know that in order of best cut, his personal preference in order is the J, L, and then the K. Since the K is out of budget anyway, I figure it's narrowed down to the J and L.

I love the J, but we would be stretching quite a bit to push to $14,000. Is it worth it? Do you think these prices seem fair? Is there a huge difference in color between a J and an L? This is my first time working with Adam.

(Please let me know if these links don't work!)

Thanks!

Link to the L: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1REhI4PLOerOIwLtouZxEFVIUzf4OQZSU/view?usp=sharing

Link to the J: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jJvaxhnOCJBodR0akQNGhuR2kWv-pCL/view?usp=sharing

Link to both together: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HNWybdZaLlB4wHbsg3Ebs1t6Cp6VgzBw/view?usp=sharing

I feel like its just personal preference! I personally like the L better than the J, the J is throwing me off a little bit.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Another intriguing one! 1.84 K VS2

This one has a lot of darkness under the table

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The L definitely has the prettier cut IMO, but the color would bug me. That’s just me, totally personal preference, maybe Adam can show you something else if neither are singing to you

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
This one has a lot of darkness under the table

You may be right. The 2 ct J color Whitney posted a couple of days ago with 59% depth did seem more lively than this K, but I wonder if it's the lighting.

The specs on this 1.84 ct K have more potential to me (63% depth/ 53% table).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
You may be right. The 2 ct J color Whitney posted a couple of days ago with 59% depth did seem more lively than this K, but I wonder if it's the lighting.

The specs on this 1.84 ct K have more potential to me (63% depth/ 53% table).

Ya the lighting she uses is a little tricky tbh but that 1.84 looks like it has a nailhead

Hard to say bc of the direct light but it looks off

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I like the 2 ct in the lower left corner more than the 1.84 ct! It’s more than the L, but less than the J.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results