shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I expecting to much...........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

davisc02

Rough_Rock
As some of you are aware I recently got my girlfriends diamond ring. Yesterday I posted here after panicking about what I thought was a flaw turned out to be girdle reflection. I've got a valuation tomorrow afternoon but the more I look at it the more i'm not sure i'm happy with it.

Before I even knew about Pricescope and online diamond sellers I went to a few places and looked at some loose diamonds as well a solitaire rings. None of them really took my breath away, most of them twinkled a bit whilst others were more dull. I think my problem is I have read so much on perfect angles,HCA scores,colours , clarity, anything I look at does not match up to what I think should be a "breathtaking" stone. I think another problem I have is I have never seen what a genuine professional would call a "breathtaking" stone.

I think the diamond I have is probably really nice, everyone I have shown it to thinks its stunning. When I was driving back from picking it up I was holding it in the car it it looked like it was alive and under all sorts of light there are flashes and sparkles but for some reason I feel a little unhappy and not elated like most of the "I got my new ring" comments on Pricescope, maybe its just me expecting to much!!

aIMG_0002.JPG

davisc02

Rough_Rock
another pic

aIMG_0046.JPG

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
What's the ct, color, clarity, cut rating?

davisc02

Rough_Rock
sorry its a .75, G, eye-clean SI1, scores 1.5 on the HCA, EGL-USA, Ideal Plus.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Damn **Davis**....you would have to be "Jesus come back as an appraiser" to tell CCCC from that pic.

Listen, what you are feeling is called "Immediate Buyers Remorse". Kinda like shell shock, or post tramatic stress syndrome. I call it crest and break....everyone studying for the CPA exam experiences it. You cram,cram,cram, and stress for months before the "E"-day and when its over you feel a bit blue for a week or 3.

I was totally aware of this (Thats why I went to Superbcerts and got the Tiat's of a stone with the best Gemex I have ever ever seen) and still had that tingle in the back of my mind.

Get the thing appraised and if its not what you paid for return it. Otherwise, put it away for a week, go to Zales, and return with a fresh perspective.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
And quit bitting your nails!

wavey.gif

davisc02

Rough_Rock
I know all what you say is true but I live in the UK and have paid the 17.5 VAT to get the ring through customs. Yes I can send it back but trying to reclaim the VAT is going to be a nightmare, long process. So unless the valuation comes back as really bad I think i'm going to have to give it to my girlfriend and hope she hasn't been studying the 4 c's as much as I have ;0)

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
What are you worried about? It looks like a beautiful stone and the info you have shows that. There's nothing wrong with a G SI1.
love.gif

Some of the "round experts" on here would be better able to judge the stone if you had more info: crown/pavillian/table/depth etc....
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think that you are expecting too much! I feel for you, because some of the comments on the forum are pretty much over the top, because of course when it is your stone, you want it to be the best. Nevertheless, even an ideal stone is not going to sparkle in its full glory 24-7, no matter what a proud owner tries to tell you. There are better lighting situations and not so good ones. Of course, you will know for sure when you get it appraised, and I would voice your fears to your appraiser, and ask any questions that come to mind.

It's kind of funny, but I just HAD to get that super-duper ideal cut stone upgrade, yet when I compare it to my old one, in some lights, the old one looks better! It is a more shallow cut with a large table, but the J looks whiter than the F in certain lighting conditions. Now the new one flashes more fire, so I am happier with it most of the time, and I do love seeing those arrows, but we are talking big bucks vs smaller bucks.

So the moral of the story is (does it have one?), each diamond has a different personality - either you like it, or you don't. If your appraiser doesn't like it either, then you have a hard choice to make. Good luck with it!
10.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sure looks pretty to me.

That thing is throwing off all kinds of fire in that first shot. Nice blue and orange flash.

A 1.5 HCA stone couldn't be a dog if it tried.

Relax, and quit looking at it so hard. Just sit back and out of the corner of your eye see how it jumps up and performs for you under different lighting conditions.

After a while you guys will develop a bond, and you'll feel bad for ever doubting the pretty thing.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do you doubt your stone? It seems pretty great to me. If it fit your bill at the time, it should fit the bill now.

It's easy to get buyers remorse. I think sometimes I still get it and I've had my ring for a year. There will always be something bigger, better or more fun looking out there...but you have to be happy with what you have, and/or know that you can change it later. I see a setting and I think, wow thats beautiful--my stone would look amazing in that! The grass is always greener. But the funny thing is that when I try on other beautiful settings, I like mine the best still.

You really do grow with your ring I think.
1.gif

Good luck and stop worrying. It looks lovely and the numbers must be great if the HCA scored it high.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/24/2003 6:09:16 PM caratgirl wrote:

So the moral of the story is (does it have one?), each diamond has a different personality - either you like it, or you don't. If your appraiser doesn't like it either, then you have a hard choice to make. Good luck with it!
10.gif
----------------

I like this thought! And, you entire post in general.

That said, could the diamond be dirty? Diamonds are a magnet for dirt & oil. The most important C of all is cleanliness. This above all contributes to the sparkle.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a very good stone to me...
1.gif

As Mara pointed out, there will always be a better, cheaper or bigger somewhere else... But have a look at the mall's quality and you'll know what a pretty stone you've got.
1.gif

BTW, G/SI 1 is great and it's still excellent quality...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results