shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy to shop Tiffany?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 11:03:57 AM
Author: widget
I can''t add too much to what has already been said.. Of course you''re not crazy to shop Tiffany!

I must say that I find sentiments like: ''Well, if the ''Blue Box'' is important to you...'' implicitly insulting. There is obviously more to owning a Tiffany ring than its packaging!

I think UCLABelle''s post bears repeating:

I just got a T&Co ring from a 3rd party. Before that, I never ''DREAMED'' of a T&Co ring, but now after having it (and already taking advantage of the wondering ''after care policy'' diamondfan was talking about with two polishes and cleanings!) my husband-to-be and I agree we would have bought the ring from there originally had we realized how ''special'' it felt to me, how great their customer service is, and how amazing the diamond/setting/etc is....
I think if one''s budget allows one to purchase his ''perfect ring'' from Tiffany''s, then he should definitely consider going for it.

I think that the ''special feeling'' that comes with owning an original Tiffany is real, and certainly worth something....not only to the original owner, but to his/her heirs as well.

widget
Yes. AND, there is a resale factor here as well. I''ve been pricing original Tiffany rings on Ebay, just to kind of get an idea of what one would cost second hand out of curiosity. I''ve been watching one that is 1.19 and it''s got several days left to go. It''s bidding price is already approaching what you could probably get the diamond for at an on-line vendor. There is definite fair market value to the Tiffany name and there are a lot of people willing to pay for it.

Not that I''m suggesting that you will ever want to sell the ring. I''m just saying that there is a perceived value in the Tiffany name (and implied service and excellence) that may not be there in other diamond rings.

Whatever way you decide to go, as long as you know what you are buying and paying for and are getting the value you want, you really can''t lose.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 11:46:27 AM
Author: bfready
Ok, I''m sure I can figure these things out without a lot of effort, but you guys are the experts so I''ll ask.
1. What is b&m?
2. One of the sites talks about knife edge platinum settings, and they are considerably more than the same 6-prong solitaire. What''s the difference?
A B&M is a brick and morter store -- meaning that there is an actual store you walk into and buy from rather than on-line.

I can''t really answer the second question without knowing which site, which "same 6-prong solitaire" you mean. If you are asking about the difference between platinum and gold, the basic difference is that platinum does not need to be plated to stay white like white gold does; it''s softer but less brittle than white gold, it''s more expensive because there''s less of it than gold, it scratches more easily than gold, but doesn''t wear away like gold, and it can be easily polished if you want a highly polished finish. Otherwise it develops a patina that some people like and some don''t.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
If the blue box is important to her, I''d get it at Tiff''s. $1,000 isn''t that much money if it makes her reeeeeeeeeeally happy.

bfready

Rough_Rock
Sorry. I couldn''t remember the site at the time. I went back and found it on whiteflash. They have a platinum tiffany style 6-prong for about $450, a heavy platinum tiffany style 6-prong for about $200 more, and a 6-prong platinum "knife edge" tiffany style for about $400 more than that.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 12:03:39 PM
Sorry. I couldn''t remember the site at the time. I went back and found it on whiteflash. They have a platinum tiffany style 6-prong for about $450, a heavy platinum tiffany style 6-prong for about $200 more, and a 6-prong platinum ''knife edge'' tiffany style for about $400 more than that.

Oh, okay. The knife edge is designed to resemble the original Tiffany setting, but it''s not the most realistic copy out there, if that''s what you are looking for. The difference in price is due to probably more metal and the design factor. Definitely, I would NOT recommend the light weight tiffany setting. Spring for the heavier one if it comes between those two.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow are you lucky to have the 20% discount.

I would not hesitate to buy the Tiffany one. In this case, the total dollar difference is not very much and you will not notice it for long I imagine.

I have a number of things from Tiffany and have needed service from them and it was great, plus so easy just to drive over and leave it with them and not worry about it.

Buying on line is really handy. It is especially handy when the savings are in the multi thousands and/or you have really tight requirements for the stone and maybe it''s hard to find.. But it is also sort of inconvenient. All the fedexing back and forth and not quite knowing til the end what you''ve got. I have done it both ways and there is value in convenience.

It''s nice to have a ring from Tiffs, and it is entirely true, as someone else mentioned, that Tiffany products do carry a premium on resale. Keep every scrap of paper and box and etc that comes with it. You may never sell, but if you do they will come in handy.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 10:05:29 AM
Author: alamb
I don''t know if anyone else saw the today show last Friday where they went bought diamonds at various b&m and then had them independently appraised. One of the vendors they went to was Tiffany''s. The Tiffany diamonds were graded one color and one clarity level less than had been stated by Tiffany''s. Tiffany''s no longer uses GIA, they use there own appraisers which they claim are more strict than GIA. It appears this isn''t true. So on top of the very high prices, you aren''t necessarily getting what you paid for either.
I didn''t see the show. A few questions cross my mind. Which news people did it? When they took it to be independently appraised, was the diamond loose or in the setting? Who appraised it?

I didn''t know they stopped using GIA. Interesting.

bfready

Rough_Rock
Ok. If I do look at stones online, I''d like to get an idea of what''s good. Please look at the following GIA specs. Tell me what''s good, what''s not, etc. Round stone .75 ct. F 5.84-5.86 x 3.63 VVS1 Excellent cut Ex polish Ex symmetry. 55% table.

Did I leave anything out?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 12:29:54 PM
Author: lumpkin

Date: 2/19/2007 10:05:29 AM
Author: alamb
I don''t know if anyone else saw the today show last Friday where they went bought diamonds at various b&m and then had them independently appraised. One of the vendors they went to was Tiffany''s. The Tiffany diamonds were graded one color and one clarity level less than had been stated by Tiffany''s. Tiffany''s no longer uses GIA, they use there own appraisers which they claim are more strict than GIA. It appears this isn''t true. So on top of the very high prices, you aren''t necessarily getting what you paid for either.
I didn''t see the show. A few questions cross my mind. Which news people did it? When they took it to be independently appraised, was the diamond loose or in the setting? Who appraised it?

I didn''t know they stopped using GIA. Interesting.
Heh, heh, maybe this explains why I could not see the difference between the E and the G when inspecting 2 Tiff stones side by side in their store. On the other hand maybe it was their lights.
4.gif

They do use their own lab and they are supposed to be ok. But who knows. Since they were using "indpendent appraisers" on this show (which I wish I could watch!) there is always the chance that the independent was in error. It would be best if those stones were sent to GIA and examined loose for grading. My guess is the independent was examining them mounted, which is not as accurate.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 12:36:23 PM
Ok. If I do look at stones online, I''d like to get an idea of what''s good. Please look at the following GIA specs. Tell me what''s good, what''s not, etc. Round stone .75 ct. F 5.84-5.86 x 3.63 VVS1 Excellent cut Ex polish Ex symmetry. 55% table.

Did I leave anything out?
Yes, to decide if you want it sent to you to look at, it''s a good idea to see what the HCA is. Go to the top of the forum page where you can select Home, Forum, Prices, Knowledge, etc. and pick Tools. Go to the HCA cut adviser and plug in all the numbers. Be sure when you are looking at a diamond they list the depth, table, girdle, pavilion angle and crown angle. Those will tell you if the diamond is worth having sent out.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of my best friends came from T & Co. I hope to get many more little friends from there.
2.gif

bfready

Rough_Rock
My gf''s email reply to my question regarding rings:

"If I had to choose… a good ring is worth more to me than a brand. But if you want to get a ring from Tiffany’s it’s not like it would be a bad ring. I don’t want to influence where you get the ring from, just what it looks like. If you want to be able to tell people you got an engagement ring from Tiffany’s then do that. I’ll be happy regardless of where you get it as long as it isn’t ugly. Don’t get me an ugly ring and think I’ll like it just because it came in a blue box."

I''m convinced that I at least want to shop for loose diamonds and see what I can get for the same $$ I intended to invest in the blue box. I also like some of the designer platinum settings linked from PS. Where''s the best place to buy loose? What about designers of simple platinum settings? Or is it best to make the marriage of stone to setting all in one place like whiteflash?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I think that is very wise. Remember though, that Tiffany is not just a blue box. The service on that ring will be excellent and they will help you keep it in top notch condition. If you buy on line, you will have to find a local jeweler to service the ring that you didn''t buy there, and you likely will not get the same level of service -- OR -- you will be shipping the ring back and forth to the on line vendor if something needs to be taken care of (sizing, polishing, checking for a problem with a prong, etc.). Lots of people do it without any problem at all. So I suggest you take all of that into consideration when you choose the vendor.

Geesh, I sound like a sales person for Tiffany and I''m NOT! And I''m not trying to sway you over to Tiffany, just wanting to play devil''s advocate, I guess, LOL!
11.gif

bfready

Rough_Rock
Geez... you guys sure make this tough. On the one hand I see all these posts advising people to steer clear of Tiffany and the Blue Box markup, and on the other hand you''re telling me how great they are.

I may head down to the Tiffany store just to take a look at things, but I''ll leave the credit card at home. In the meantime, I need to figure out which vendor to shop with, whether to find loose stones or mounted. I think I''m starting to see why people go with the convenience of the mall stores. Just kidding. I''d never go down that road.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 5:28:55 PM

I may head down to the Tiffany store just to take a look at things, but I''ll leave the credit card at home. In the meantime, I need to figure out which vendor to shop with, whether to find loose stones or mounted. I think I''m starting to see why people go with the convenience of the mall stores. Just kidding. I''d never go down that road.

Two things...one is that your GF does not sound like she is concerned with where the ring comes from. I say buy loose
27.gif

Second, I bought loose and I am having it set in a B&M. I bought a .30ct setting they had marked at $975 for $570 with free mounting. Now I can have them service the ring so I don''t need to send it anywhere. Seemed best for me, as I did want the ability to have it serviced.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
I''ll offer up my $0.02. I was considering a Tiffany, but didn''t get one because I could not stomach the markup. I bought a loose diamond from GoG (although there are several otehr vendors on here who sell equally amazing loose stones) and had it set in a Tiffany setting made by the good people at SuperbCert / Excel Diamonds. When we go to Tiffany (ended up getting wedding bands there - they are actually cheap for bands) the salespeople are always sure it is a Tiffany ring. Once my wife even told them it was not, the lady didn''t believe her, asked to look at it off the finger, and still couldn''t believe it was not from Tiffany. She cleaned it up for us and kept complimenting the ring. Anyway, in our opinoin it as actually prettier than a Tiffany ring. The prongs on the SupertCert ring are definately smaller / more dainty than on the Tiffany version. SuperbCert makes an amzing setting.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Oh, yeah, but you aren''t crazy to buy the real deal. It''s your mone, spend it as you wish (as long as you actually have the money and aren''t going into dept over it ... in which case you would be crazy). But in your situation, it sounds as though your girlfriend doesn''t care about the blue box and we all know you can find a nicer ring for your dollar here.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2007 8:07:29 PM
Author: jasontb
Oh, yeah, but you aren''t crazy to buy the real deal. It''s your mone, spend it as you wish (as long as you actually have the money and aren''t going into dept over it ... in which case you would be crazy). But in your situation, it sounds as though your girlfriend doesn''t care about the blue box and we all know you can find a nicer ring for your dollar here.
If your gf (and I like your nick ... bf''ready'') is as approachable as this ... have you considered asking her to join you in ''ring'' shopping?

That way you know for sure that she won''t get an ugly ring because it''s a joint effort!

Or if you shortlist a few designs, you could always run the pictures past her and ask her if they''re alright.

bfready

Rough_Rock
I know what size stone she prefers and that she''s a fan of round solitaires, hence her love for the tiffany setting. She also likes 3 stone rings, although probably not as well. Basically she wants something simple in platinum. I don''t know if those parameters make things easier or harder for me.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 3:40:59 PM
. Where's the best place to buy loose? What about designers of simple platinum settings? Or is it best to make the marriage of stone to setting all in one place like whiteflash?
I have heard nothing but RAVE REVIEWS of Superbcert's custom made Tiffany replicas. Below is a picture of an SC (on the left) next to an authentic T&C (on the right).

Many think it best to purchase the diamond and mounting from the same dealer. Not only because it's less complicated, but because if there's damage to the stone or problems during the mounting process, the dealer will more likely take responsibility for it.

widget

ETA: Mara took this pic at a PS get together in Palo Alto...

scL tR.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my two cents seeing that your gf does not care if it comes from tiff and you are open to suggestions...

i wouldn''t necessarily want a tiffany ring...and if i knew that it was $1k more i would have thought ''gee i could have gotten a bigger diamond for the same price elsewhere''...hehe. but i like size...shrinkage can set in fast mentally once the ring is on your finger!!

but $1k is NOT that much more, if you were paying the full 40% more then it might be different. and while tiffany may not sell total dogs, i honestly am such a dork about my diamonds that i want the best cut for the best price and that equals the best quality looking diamond for the least money. just like i love buying stuff at a discount on ebay or online shopping...i want quality for a lower price.

i bought diamonds at B&Ms'' and then went online and did the same thing. now i almost only will buy diamonds online.

my suggestion if you want a great diamond but maybe not so much on the hassle about shipping rings back and forth and service is to find a setting you like locally that is similar to the tiff ring...and then get an amazing diamond online from one of the PS vendors...and have it shipped to your local jeweler, have them set it and whala. you can get local service on the ring and still get an exceptional stone.

or if you don''t really care too much about maintenance and all that, get both diamond and the ring online. i take my ring into my local jeweler to get maintenance and it voided the online warranty by doing that, but i don''t really care...i''ve had my rings for 4 years now basically and if anything happened to them, i''d just get a new set and start fresh.

the WF $1k tiffany replica is very nice as is the SC version that widget posted. both are supposed to be pretty close visually when one doesn''t inspect it SUPER closely. visually on people''s hands i can''t tell the difference, the side view is where people see it''s a tiffany and i bet 1/2 the people who have really good replicas have people thinking they are tiffany all the time. if that matters at all.

you have tons of options!! in any case, do your research, shop around and see if Tiff is right for you. maybe it is, maybe it isn''t. but have fun with it..good luck!

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2007 8:54:27 PM
Author: widget

Many think it best to purchase the diamond and mounting from the same dealer. Not only because it''s less complicated, but because if there''s damage to the stone or problems during the mounting process, the dealer will more likely take responsibility for it.
It depends on the jeweller. Some will recommend you take out insurance on your loose stone before having it set ... so that you have appropriate cover should your stone be damaged. However, stores should have an insurance policy that covers lost and damage whilst in their possession. It is a worthwhile point to clarify with your jeweller of choice when you decide upon one.

On the comparison photo''s - there is a very subtle difference in the way the prongs curve ever so gracefully in the Tiffany original.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I think one of the things that gets forgotten sometimes is that local, independent jewelers can match the price of online diamond shopping. It''s not like it''s Tiffany or online, and that''s it! There are many good smaller jewelers who will make it a pleasant buyiing experience for you and give you the service you need. Having the knowledge of how to buy online will help you buy a good diamond anywhere, at a fair price. I am one of those people who tried to buy online, but in the end found something wonderful at the same price at a B amd M , and then also had the ring designed and now serviced there too. internet diamond buying has made the markup for the local guys much more competitive than it used to be.

I do think it is worth something to be able to have an important purchase like that serviced locally.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 5:28:55 PM
Geez... you guys sure make this tough. On the one hand I see all these posts advising people to steer clear of Tiffany and the Blue Box markup, and on the other hand you''re telling me how great they are.
BF, it''s really simple. No one here can tell you whether or not YOU value the "tiffany" name enough to pay for it.

If you care about quality, you can get that at Tiffany OR at any reputable vendor. Reputable vendors here sell comparable quality for a lot less.

If you care about the Tiffany experience, you will only get that at Tiffany.

Is the markup worth it for the experience? ONLY YOU can decide if it''s worth it TO YOU.

That''s why you keep getting varied answers. Everyone values things differently. If all you care about is a good quality diamond, then you can absolutely do better price-wise and get every bit as good a diamond elsewhere. If you want THE Tiffany setting (and not just a *tiffany-STYLE* setting), then Tiffany would be worth it.

I personally don''t give a whit about the Tiffany name, so for ME personally, it''s not worth it. But for someone who''s always dreamed of owning a "tiffany" ring, it likely IS worth it.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I would just like to add my opinion (only b/c I used to be anti-Tiffany e-rings and now own one via a 3rd party but with all paper work, etc)....

Tiffany, not just as a name, just as others have mentioned, have many many benefits that are EASY to take advantage of:

1. Excellent customer service. When you go to their Customer Service section they are really nice. I am sure this may depend on the store, but still.
2. They clean, polish your stone while you wait; They do resizing for free; Repairs are easy and very secure.
3. You are provided with two grading reports, GIA and the T&CO report, and Valuation Report. Replacements are easy to get.

In addition, you would be gettitng the "ORIGINAL" 6 prong T&CO setting, not a copy. Some people don't mind having the copy, and prefer it, but just keep that in mind. Their craftmanship is amazing (if you go to the T&CO webstie and read about their setting, you will learn about this)...Now that I have one and compare it to others at fine jewelry stores, I actually believe them
2.gif

Finally, you get a discount at T&Co that is so lucky. Take advantage of it. You can still get an excellent diamond, but an even more perfect setting.
Okay, I am done. If you really decide to go the B&M or Online route, there is 100% nothing wrong with that, I just wanted to insist it just isn't a blue box you are paying for!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
^^^
Your ring is gorgous! Love it.

Back to topic. I have a Tiffany ring from a third party as well, a classic 6 prong round solitaire in a little over a carat. I wouldn''t hesitate to recommend that you get a Tiffany ring. Its so classy and simple and that design has been around forever - since what the 1920s? You can get 20% off - I wouldn''t hesitate. You get lots of service and design quality for your money. Also we live close to a Tiffany store so basically I can constantly have them clean my ring for free on my way to shop - love that.

The knife edge makes the ring''s band look thiner and therefore more dainty on her finger - other bands can look clunky and make the stone look smaller. This is super important, I don''t think alot of guys realize how clunky a band can look on a woman''s finger since I see lots of clunky bands around.

Personally I don''t like replicas, I''d rather just get an original by someone else. But the Tiffany design is so gorgous on that I don''t know what would compare, I haven''t seen anything that looks as nice, except maybe Cartier. I also went all over the diamond district in NYC looking for a ring and only saw one vintage-style ring that I might have picked over mine if it was an original and not a replica. My jeweler won''t even copy the Tiffany ring b/c he thinks its unethical, I feel the same way. Not that a 6 prong is a copy, but to try and exactly match the Tiffany ring - that is copying IMO.

As for the comparison photos I see a pretty big difference between those rings, but then I''m not looking at them on someone''s finger.

Btw. I have lots of other Tiffany jewelry and I have to say that so far their customer service has been fantastic. I even had to have my pearl earrings reglued (normal thing, but a little sooner than expected) and when I complained that some of the glue showed on the side of the ring they gave me a new pair immediately - we didn''t even ask for it. I thought that was pretty great.

As for your girlfriend''s e-mail you know her better than us. Does she like designer things in general? Purses, etc.? Does she like jewelry?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
UCLA and winternight....you two have made me so excited to get my ring!!
36.gif
36.gif

I agree with what people are saying though-you know your girlfriend best, so I think only you can answer the question of which way to go. The whole blue box thing wouldnt bother me in the slightest-we dont have a tiffanys in Ireland, so the name wouldnt be big over here at all. Im not going to feel any more special having a tiffanys ring than I would having any other engagement ring, only the fact that I have never seen one as fantastic as the one that I saw there. I have looked at about 500 rings if not more (Ive been looking for the last year!) and thats the only one thats made my heart jump.

I agree with the poster that maybe you can take your girlfriend ring shopping and get her to look at a couple. By judging her reaction, you''ll probably get your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results