shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy? Or, a week ago we weren''t even looking at houses . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
OOOhhh...That is VERY charming!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

We definitely feel like we made a great decision. Yes, the decision to buy was sudden, but we are always keeping an eye on the market. I think if we''d waited until this summer, we''d have had to pay a lot more for a comparable house (we were especially lucky since our seller was motivated by inheriting the house and not having anything but fantasies of more money to lose).

We walked to a restaurant with some neighbors the other night, and DH asked them to go a slightly less direct way so we could tell them about our new house. As we approached it, one of them said, "Now y''all didn''t make us walk this way to show us some house you''ve bought, did you?"
1.gif

Last night we attended a party thrown by some other neighbors in our condo building. One of the owners was sick, so he had to drive an hour away to stay with family because the condo is too small to have a party and stay in the bedroom (plus they had blocked off one entrance to the bathroom so people would have had to go through there). It made me realize that if one of us ever isn''t up to entertaining, we can just go upstairs.

There is so much to do. We''re planning on moving half of our stuff out and putting the condo on the market ASAP. It''s really only room for one person, so having two people''s stuff makes it look really cramped. We''ll also remove things like DVDs (which don''t have anywhere to go right now anyway), CDs, personal pictures and less scholarly books. But that will take a lot more aforethought than just moving everything at once. Luckily we can store it in a friend''s garage.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2006 11:22:40 AM
Author: phoenixgirl
Thanks all.

We definitely feel like we made a great decision. Yes, the decision to buy was sudden, but we are always keeping an eye on the market. I think if we''d waited until this summer, we''d have had to pay a lot more for a comparable house (we were especially lucky since our seller was motivated by inheriting the house and not having anything but fantasies of more money to lose).

We walked to a restaurant with some neighbors the other night, and DH asked them to go a slightly less direct way so we could tell them about our new house. As we approached it, one of them said, ''Now y''all didn''t make us walk this way to show us some house you''ve bought, did you?''
1.gif

Last night we attended a party thrown by some other neighbors in our condo building. One of the owners was sick, so he had to drive an hour away to stay with family because the condo is too small to have a party and stay in the bedroom (plus they had blocked off one entrance to the bathroom so people would have had to go through there). It made me realize that if one of us ever isn''t up to entertaining, we can just go upstairs.

There is so much to do. We''re planning on moving half of our stuff out and putting the condo on the market ASAP. It''s really only room for one person, so having two people''s stuff makes it look really cramped. We''ll also remove things like DVDs (which don''t have anywhere to go right now anyway), CDs, personal pictures and less scholarly books. But that will take a lot more aforethought than just moving everything at once. Luckily we can store it in a friend''s garage.
it really wasn''t totally spure of the moment then! we did the same thing.

and i cannot begin to tell you how useful being able to escape upstairs is when you have out of town guests staying for a long time........

movie zombie

gail013

Shiny_Rock
The house is very cute! I have seen glass doors put on that staircase leading to the bsmt-of the staircase is finished of course-and it looks great. I can tell your home has alot of character, and it will be fun to decorate.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
CUTE!!! I am familiar with those homes ;-) You may not need A/C in the downstairs. I''d wait and see how hot the downstairs got in the summer.

Seems like it was meant to be!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Fire&Ice, thanks, I love the neighborhood!

I bet you''re right about the A/C. There is a window unit in the downstairs, which obviously isn''t attractive, but we''ve been living all this time with one window unit for the whole condo so you''d figure one window unit could cool the downstairs. There must be a reason why people went to all the trouble to put A/C upstairs in these houses but not downstairs. Still, if it were I, I think I would have just done it all at once.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Remember my concern about not using a friend who is still technically a realtor but not doing any business and working 9 to 5 at another job? Well, DH kept putting off telling his friend, her husband, and so we put off telling people about the house. But then we just couldn't wait anymore, so we told people but told them not to tell.

Knowing how upset our friend was about the brother of a friend not using her, we figured it would be better for her husband to break it to her in private. So that meant we needed to tell him without her, which DH did today.

And our friend said he is not going to tell his wife! Apparently she was trying to help some other friends of his who eventually decided to go with someone else and is really upset, and he didn't want to add to that. I just have to disagree. It is much worse to find out when some third party mentions casually that people you're close friends with are moving without your knowledge. What a dufus.

He didn't say he would tell her in a week after the other disappointment sinks in . . . he just said he wasn't going to tell her and would let her find out when she finds out!

So now I don't know what to do. It's really our husbands who are friends (go back to high school, were in each other's weddings, etc.) -- she and I don't call each other or anything. So I feel like it would be weird for me to call her up just to drop a bomb her wussy husband was afraid to drop on her. The only other thing I can think of is to post a bulletin on MySpace, which would show up when she logs in since we are friends on there. That way she would find out from a computer and could let it sink in without having to get upset in front of whoever lets it slip. What do you think? Yes, that's tacky, but I really think the key is for her to be able to get upset without being in front of people.

Advice?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the new house. Welcome to owning and fixing your own home!!!! It is great.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the new house. It is great.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Love the house! Congrats!!! We have glass transoms over our doors too and I just love them! It just makes the whole house feel so sunny! I can''t wait to see it all fixed up and moved in!!! Enjoy!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
love the house! so excited for ya''ll!

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Phoenixgirl-

I have to assume that her husband isn''t telling her for a reason. I don''t think I would go out of your way to tell her. When she finds out, you can just say something like ''oh you didn''t know? , we told your hubbie about it a while ago....'', or something like that. Or if it makes you feel better, you can just call her up and personally tell her, and explain what happened and go from there. It depends on how close you are, which doesn''t sound like you are. These kind of situations are hard. Normally you could say that you''d refer her other business, but I don''t know if you can say that.

If she''s a professional, she''ll get over it, and be happy for you. In that business you have to have a thick skin or you''ll never make it anyway. I think you have spent enough time worrying about it, and now you need to have some fun with your new place. Is your other place sold-sorry if I missed that part?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results