shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy? Is there such a thing as too big?!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all! I have been wearing my gorgeous e-ring for 4 months now and initially I thought it was big but that I would grow accustomed to it. Call me crazy but after all this time I still feel a little self-conscious wearing it to work or certainly when working with my charity orgs and usually opt to just wear my band. I feel terrible about it because it is my dream ring (see my older post) so maybe I am just looking for some reassurance, but truthfully I think highly of this forum and do believe you’ll all give me your honest opinions.

If it matters I’m a size 4 and my ring is 11mm across. Thanks!

Up close
3FE673C3-2854-4178-A3DC-60D50EFA1472.jpeg

Perspective
8A1DA1D2-A4BC-4BDF-8F0E-E1F39DDD026B.jpeg

Your ring is gorgeous and proportional to your finger. Did you have this ring made? It is stunning!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From a guy's POV I don't care much about the size of a woman's diamonds. Some can rock a 7 carat ring and others can't pull off a 1 carat. It comes down to the attitude, personality and confidence (without being cocky or snobby) of the woman wearing the jewelry.
:think: If I can afford a 7ct you can call me Mr. cocky or Mr. snobby any day of the week! :praise:

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally get it. I seldom wear my big bling because I live in a poor part of town and have a job where I work with homeless and underprivileged. The rest of the time I am changing diapers. Big bling is not often worn but I do feel like a princess when I take it out and “play rings” as one PSer once described!

Give yourself some time to get used to it. Call it a family ring if that makes you feel better (well it WAS given to you by your fiancé, with whom you will be making a family...)

It looks gorgeous :)

nikkirawks

Rough_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous and proportional to your finger. Did you have this ring made? It is stunning!

We did! Long story short it was made after the vintage one my fiancé wanted to propose with was sold before he could go back to get it. We had a sentimental addition put into the gallery of this one. It’s the profile of the Brooklyn bridge where he proposed!

nikkirawks

Rough_Rock
I would give it more time. 4 months is still early to get used to a large piece. Did you have large rings before this ER? Was there a specific reason you wanted a big look?

FWIW, many married women at my job wear just WB to work. This usually happens a few years down the line not in 4 months.

Yep been married 4 years but the engagement ring is new. Long story short my husband saved up enough money to commission David Klass to recreate the Art Deco ring he wanted to propose with that was sold before he could go back to get it. To be honest we didn’t know how big 1.65 cts would look after the emerald target was added but it’s very sentimental so I guess I’m just getting accustomed! I’m coming up from a 1 ct oval solitaire.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did! Long story short it was made after the vintage one my fiancé wanted to propose with was sold before he could go back to get it. We had a sentimental addition put into the gallery of this one. It’s the profile of the Brooklyn bridge where he proposed!
ahem, what?! That’s so cool! Is there any chance you could post a profile pic?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful smile and I sure notice that before I notice any ring. Then when I do notice your ring, I think, a beautiful ring to go with a beautiful smile. That's all I think.

And no, I don't think your ring is too big. It is perfect and it matches you. Enjoy it. Life is short.

nikkirawks

Rough_Rock
That is so so kind if you to say! Thank you!!
You have a beautiful smile and I sure notice that before I notice any ring. Then when I do notice your ring, I think, a beautiful ring to go with a beautiful smile. That's all I think.

And no, I don't think your ring is too big. It is perfect and it matches you. Enjoy it. Life is short.

nikkirawks

Rough_Rock
:kiss2:For anyone who still follows this thread I have great news! I have adjusted! I now completely adore my ring and hardly ever feel self-conscious anymore. I wear my plain gold band when doing charity work, yard work, and sometimes just because it suits my outfit better, but otherwise, my ER sees lots of sun! Thanks for sticking with me. You are awesome!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
:kiss2:For anyone who still follows this thread I have great news! I have adjusted! I now completely adore my ring and hardly ever feel self-conscious anymore. I wear my plain gold band when doing charity work, yard work, and sometimes just because it suits my outfit better, but otherwise, my ER sees lots of sun! Thanks for sticking with me. You are awesome!

Yay!! I am so glad to hear it! You have such a beautiful ring! It deserves it!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
From a guy's POV I don't care much about the size of a woman's diamonds. Some can rock a 7 carat ring and others can't pull off a 1 carat. It comes down to the attitude, personality and confidence (without being cocky or snobby) of the woman wearing the jewelry.

Truly, the woman defines the woman, not the jewelry the woman is wearing.

I am a big advocate for having different pieces to wear based on your surroundings. Mainly as security measures. When traveling to foreign countries, or even domestic areas where you are uncertain of your surroundings it's always smart to blend and not become a target of opportunity.

Also, I might add -- consider your peers when asking for advice. If diamonds were a drug, PS is like a crack house full of addicts strolling around with needles hanging half way out of their arms telling you there is no such thing as too high. :lol:

Of course, I mean this with love as there are smart people here too but we are all a little biased. ;)2

Dammit Sledge! Just when I was trying to convince my beau that PS was a place full of HEALTHY jewelry connoisseurs, so when trying to sway him in a certain design direction I could show him the jewels that others here are walking around with, and say "See these normal guys and gals who have a great eye think xyz honey!"
Last thing I want him to know is that were all jewelry druggies enabling eachother in this half bent "healthy" obsession! Haha
:shifty:

Also OP, as far as target style rings go- Yours is a literal dream! Wow-its stunning! You must wear that baby!!! Also FYI, this is coming from a blue-green Emerald junkie!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first got my ring, I thought it was way too big and regretted resetting it from a solitaire. That lasted about 7 hours then it felt like the perfect size. :lol::lol::lol:

IMG_3743-1.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did wear a three stone ring for a short time that felt too big. I only had it a few weeks, so I'm not sure if I would have gotten used to it or not. Maybe I would have. It was a 7mm center with two 5.8mm side stones and my finger size was 6.5 at the time.

33oec 018.JPG

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you got used to it!

It took me a while to feel comfortable wearing my rings, and I would flip them around on public transportation or when I was talking to vendors so I wouldn't get price gouged. HA. I think it was maybe 6 months before it felt "right". Three stones are a lot of bling coverage! I'm looking forward to my new ring... I miss feeling self conscious sometimes, and then at other times rocking the bling!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Well ... considering that I would be just as happy if no one but me ever saw my diamond ring ... If I start to feel super uncomfortable about the bling, my plan is to tell them it’s fake, lol. I know it’s the coward’s way out and I shouldn’t care ....

LIfe is short. If that ring brings you joy, enjoy the hell out it, I say. :wavey:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I did wear a three stone ring for a short time that felt too big. I only had it a few weeks, so I'm not sure if I would have gotten used to it or not. Maybe I would have. It was a 7mm center with two 5.8mm side stones and my finger size was 6.5 at the time.

33oec 018.JPG

I have been looking for a ring with these size stones for days now. (.6/1.2/.6-ish) Thank you for posting this pic! I’m a size 8, so I’m wondering if I’d feel the same as far as finger coverage goes. All the ones I’ve seen have smaller half carat side stones and I love the 2:1 ratio. It’s gorgeous!

I’m torn between this size and .5/1/.5

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been looking for a ring with these size stones for days now. (.6/1.2/.6-ish) Thank you for posting this pic! I’m a size 8, so I’m wondering if I’d feel the same as far as finger coverage goes. All the ones I’ve seen have smaller half carat side stones and I love the 2:1 ratio. It’s gorgeous!

I’m torn between this size and .5/1/.5

Here's a few more pictures. Size was not the main reason I didn't keep it. The stones were old cuts and the match wasn't close enough for my liking. I also found my transitional shortly after finding this one, and I couldn't keep both. I would wear this kind of ring in a heartbeat now! I say go for it! Just know its a Big Look!

3stoneOEC 006.JPG 33oec 014.JPG 33oec 017.JPG 3stoneOEC 005.JPG

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you SO MUCH for the additional photos @dreamer_dachsie !!! The sides on mine would be slightly smaller at 5.5mm and switched to a 6 prong center and 4 NSEW prongs on the side stones. So maybe just slightly less finger coverage, plus my giant size 8 fingers will offset it a bit. :lol:

This is the setting I designed with DK, I just have to finish saving the funds so I can get it.

I cannot stop staring at yours. It’s so stunning. I’m actually following your other thread for your new ring journey :kiss2: It’ll be a showstopper for sure!
C2B57941-00E9-4513-896A-11CA248EF265.jpeg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It is a stunning ring.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I have been following this thread. So happy your ER sees lots of sun ☀️!

nikkirawks

Rough_Rock
Thought I'd update all of my supporters. It's been 3 years (and one baby) since my original posting and I'm very happy to report I grew accustomed to the size of my ring. The ring is a part of me now, and like many of you so correctly noted it's more about the attitude of the individual wearing the ring than anything else...and I have a big, bubbly personality. Every now and again I will catch people looking at it and I've come to realize that it's because it's unique (and questions soon follow) not because it's ostentatious. @Lisa Loves Shiny also correctly called this! Now with a 6 mo. old, I've fallen in love with the ring all over again because my son was born in May, 3 days after our anniversary and as you know May's birthstone is emerald. <3 I guess it was meant to be. I sincerely hope everyone is well and I'll see you on the forums.

P.S. I'm also happy we went as big as we did because the dreaded "shrinking diamond" phenomenon is one I have avoided...for now!

maisie2

Shiny_Rock
Thought I'd update all of my supporters. It's been 3 years (and one baby) since my original posting and I'm very happy to report I grew accustomed to the size of my ring. The ring is a part of me now, and like many of you so correctly noted it's more about the attitude of the individual wearing the ring than anything else...and I have a big, bubbly personality. Every now and again I will catch people looking at it and I've come to realize that it's because it's unique (and questions soon follow) not because it's ostentatious. @Lisa Loves Shiny also correctly called this! Now with a 6 mo. old, I've fallen in love with the ring all over again because my son was born in May, 3 days after our anniversary and as you know May's birthstone is emerald. <3 I guess it was meant to be. I sincerely hope everyone is well and I'll see you on the forums.

P.S. I'm also happy we went as big as we did because the dreaded "shrinking diamond" phenomenon is one I have avoided...for now!

That’s lovely to hear! I think it suits you so well that it would have been a shame to reset it. It must have been meant to be! =)2

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a beautiful ring! I am glad you are enjoying it! It must have been meant to be!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results