shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I Being Too Picky??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, another question for you.

I have a six prong platinum engagment ring. I have had it for about six months. Well, the prongs seem to keep catching on my clothing, hair, etc., so I finally bought a cheap loupe to take a look at the prongs. Well they all have these indents at the tips of them. Hmm, how to describe it! It looks like the ends of the prongs were flattened, and the prongs are not rounded at the ends.

So I finally brought it to my local goldsmith (the jeweler we purchased the ring from is about an hour and a half away). He took a look at it and said that the prongs were just not finished properly, so he tried to polish them a bit. He thought that they looked much better, but I still can see a flat piece of metal at the end of three or four prongs.
8.gif

So the question!! Am I just being too picky about the prongs? I always thought that they would be rounded, without any "flat metal" at the tips. So now I am wondering if I should go back to the original jeweler (but I am worried because they did such a poor job in the first place
7.gif
) or if like I said, I''m just way too picky.

Also, if I am right that the prongs shouldn''t look this way, does anyone have a recommendation for a good goldsmith in the Connecticut/New York Metro area?? Like, does Good Old Gold do repair work??

Any suggestions would be very, very, very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks everyone!
1.gif

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
stretch4,

I''m sure the jeweler who did the ring thinks you''re being too picky :)

Seriously, though its a tough call. GENERALLY SPEAKING I feel that if you need magnification to see the issue then, well, it isn''t an issue. Your case might be a bit different, however, because something "catching" your clothes - i don''t know. If the prongs really are catching your clothes then get it fixed. If this was just minor tool marks or something I personally wouldn''t worry.

My wife and I built an addition onto the house last summer. (We needed room for that third child we didn''t expect!) There were several times when the general contractor would finish a piece of trim or railing or something and I would notice "problems". Nothing major, just flaws in workmanship that I noticed. For all the money I was spending I wanted everything "perfect", but learned early on to let the little things go. It made for a much better relationship with my contractor!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Ah, but you don''t need magnification to see the issue! The light hits the prongs, and you can definitely see the flattened metal.

But, like you said, I surely don''t want to harass the jeweler with silly things!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I guess then, to make me comfortable, I just want a second opinion on the job the second goldsmith did with the polishing. If a goldsmith says that is looks normal, then so be it!

So anyone have recommendations in my area? Thanks!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, the tips of the prongs on the ring I bought are perfectly rounded. Under the naked eye at least. I don''t remember seeing any flat spots under a 10X loupe either. My jeweler checked too. I mean, it''s not perfect by any means. Under a loupe, you can tell the angle is a little bit off. But, with the naked eye, you can''t tell. Anyways, my point was that my ring didn''t have flat spots so that''s what I''d want the jeweler to do unless maybe there''s not enough room for the tool to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results