shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being too picky - jewelry flaws

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I got some sweet birthday gifts from my DH from a popular jewelry website. I love the items he chose, but I''ve noticed a couple minor problems and I''m wondering if it is worth the hassle (and possible expense, haven''t checked) of returning and exchanging. I would just want another one of the same item. The items were not expensive, and the "flaws" are minor. Exchanging might send DH the message that buying jewelry online is risky or that I''m too picky for him to please... or he might not want to buy from this vendor again and I really like their stuff. Although I must say, I am dissapointed to be having any quality issues (even on their lower priced items.)

the problems:

Silver chain: Clasp does not spring closed. It closes fine and stays closed, but you have to use your thumb to actually close it. Didn''t notice this at first and my pendent that I was wearing fell off (fortunately on carpet and was fine!)

Bezel set topaz earrings: One is very slightly loose in its bezel. I noticed when I tapped on it and heard it rattle a bit. The other one does not rattle.

Has PS made me a detail person to the EXTREME? Or are these legitimate reasons to exchange?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness. Tell them; and exchange it. I am sure it wasn''t cheap so it should not be made cheap.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you're being picky at all. Having to close the clasp on any chain manually would be a PITA, imo, and definitely a flaw that should've been inspected and resolved before it reached the consumer no matter what the cost. The loose bezel set on the topaz earring would also concern me, no matter what the cost...what good is a bezel set stone without a stone when it ends up falling out? I would definitely exchange both, for the same items that are made correctly if you like them. They're not going to be fun items to wear if you're constantly concerned about losing them, or parts of them!
35.gif

ETA: If it were a zipper on a garment you otherwise loved that didn't work, wouldn't you exchange it?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks y'all - I was afraid I was out there on this, but I'm glad you agree.

Seriously, they were not expensive - together less than $100, but I think they are great for everyday and I don't want to be worried about losing pieces :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
those sound like issues you could have from any vendor, so by all means get them fixed so you do not lose the item or the stone. if hubby says what''s up just tell him it was routine stuff, no biggie, and stress how nice they were about it....

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 11:43:15 PM
Author: monarch64
I don't think you're being picky at all. Having to close the clasp on any chain manually would be a PITA, imo, and definitely a flaw that should've been inspected and resolved before it reached the consumer no matter what the cost. The loose bezel set on the topaz earring would also concern me, no matter what the cost...what good is a bezel set stone without a stone when it ends up falling out? I would definitely exchange both, for the same items that are made correctly if you like them. They're not going to be fun items to wear if you're constantly concerned about losing them, or parts of them!
35.gif

ETA: If it were a zipper on a garment you otherwise loved that didn't work, wouldn't you exchange it?
You'd think, but that reminds me that I've got a sweater from Ann Taylor with the tags on and a hole in it that I bought the day before Christmas. The mall with Ann Taylor is way across town and I just haven't had time to go. It was on megasale so I haven't been stressing about it, and I'm hoping they'll take it back when I finally get over there this weekend! WHAT is happening to quality control these days?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not being picky at all. You defintiely need to send them back detailing the problems. A spring clasp shouldn''t have to be closed manually, and a bezel set earring that''s loose, that''s an accident waiting to happen. I''m sure your hubby will be pleased you want the same items, just ones that are made properly. I''d call them and tell them exactly what was wrong with the pieces. Methinks they need to do a better job with quality control....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stuff would drive me nuts. However, I wouldn''t want to discourage hubby from buying jewelry purchases. Is there any way that you could exchange the items without him knowing?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
when i first joined PS and bought a jeweler item I noticed *flaws* too. I thought maybe I was being too picky or maybe PS had made me picky. I asked sevens one what she thought and she told me picky folks like us were always picky, PS just brings it out more
3.gif

anyway, I agree with the other, you are definitely not being to picky. both of those *flaws* could result in losing your peice and that would be more upsetting to me than the pain to send them back to have fixed or exchanged.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I have a guy who would be hurt if I exchanged jewelry, too-- for something else. If there''s a flaw in the product, you can''t help that. You just want hubby to get the best quality for his money. Just make sure he hears the message that you love the gifts, and he did a good job picking them out.

Online companies have returns for this very reason. I''d return them.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Definitely get it fixed or exchanged. You are not being picky at all!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
What a hassle gail! Sorry to hear you are having to "work" for a gift. I''d speak to a manager about this and would specifically ask that the replacement items be inspected before they are shipped.

Good luck!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks y''all! I appreciate it! I''ll go ahead with the exchange. Maybe DH won''t even notice but if he does I bet he will not care. You''re right, if I was exchanging for something else he might feel bad. (Not that I would hesitate, if he got me something I really did not like.) This is completely different.

I''m sure the vendor will replace the items but I don''t think they will care too much - big place, my $100 is probably nothing to them - but I could be wrong. I may post their name later on depending on how it goes - not that you haven''t probably guessed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results