shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being scammed? Warning for those selling...

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So.... the good news and I know this isn't a scam.... I am getting soxfan's amazing CVB acacia :dance: :dance: :dance: More to come on that....

The other part is that I put my setting on LT for sale. I had a very eager person wanting to buy it. She claims to want to buy it for her daughter but can not pay via any online method. She only wants to pay with a certified bank check. She even offered to pay an extra $60 to hold and $40 for shipping. Too good to be true?

I want to accept it, but I'm wondering if this is a scam?? :think: :think: :think:

Would love thoughts and also want to warn people in case this is happening to others?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This person is full of it. I got the same thing from DeannaH110. It's a fake account, set up to defraud people. I reported the account to Loupe Troop. The same email address is also selling a gun online, and I researched the phone number connected to that listing. FRAUD.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG - Thank you!!! That is the one!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
yep i got the exact same email on a sapphire ring i had for sale. red flag red flag red flag!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MORE INFO ON THE NEW SETTING! Ugh I loveeeeeee all the CVB setting to death, her work is the only reason i would consider dismantling by beloved VC...sigh. Can't wait to hear about what you have in store!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How crazy! Why don't they stop that person???!!!

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
dollyanjuli|1476464996|4087061 said:
MORE INFO ON THE NEW SETTING! Ugh I loveeeeeee all the CVB setting to death, her work is the only reason i would consider dismantling by beloved VC...sigh. Can't wait to hear about what you have in store!

Thanks! I'm actually buying the setting here that soxfan is selling. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-28-l-oec-in-cvb-acacia-solitaire.226084/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-28-l-oec-in-cvb-acacia-solitaire.226084/[/URL]

Hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
upgradingmama|1476460573|4087041 said:
So.... the good news and I know this isn't a scam.... I am getting soxfan's amazing CVB acacia :dance: :dance: :dance: More to come on that....

The other part is that I put my setting on LT for sale. I had a very eager person wanting to buy it. She claims to want to buy it for her daughter but can not pay via any online method. She only wants to pay with a certified bank check. She even offered to pay an extra $60 to hold and $40 for shipping. Too good to be true?

I want to accept it, but I'm wondering if this is a scam?? :think: :think: :think:

Would love thoughts and also want to warn people in case this is happening to others?

I got the same thing from her and I did not reply.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1476460573|4087041 said:

It's a scam. I got the exact same email from this lady (Deanna something)... same song and dance. People do the same thing on Craig's List and other sites. Just ignore it or tell her it's already sold.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG upgradingmama! That person sent me an email about the setting today! I told her it was sold. I am going to take it down now so I don't get any more emails from her. Should I report her too? :angryfire: :angryfire:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'm also selling and got the same person for two listings.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1476469202|4087095 said:
OMG upgradingmama! That person sent me an email about the setting today! I told her it was sold. I am going to take it down now so I don't get any more emails from her. Should I report her too? :angryfire: :angryfire:
Yes! It's really scary - I almost sent her my info and then it just felt strange! I was so excited at first because then I'd have the $$ to add a cvb band to go with your setting! Guess I'll be waiting on that... ;( ;( ;(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg upgrading mama, so glad you posted, thank you for doing so, and thanks to all who responded. It's good that you followed your instincts on this. I'm pretty naive when it comes to things like this, this is good info to have if I ever sell anything.

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1476470299|4087105 said:
Omg upgrading mama, so glad you posted, thank you for doing so, and thanks to all who responded. It's good that you followed your instincts on this. I'm pretty naive when it comes to things like this, this is good info to have if I ever sell anything.

Yes - Thanks to ALL of you! It's great to have a place to get answers so quickly! And just for the record, after doing a google search "certified bank checks" are often counterfeit... who knew??

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1476470154|4087104 said:
Yes! It's really scary - I almost sent her my info and then it just felt strange! I was so excited at first because then I'd have the $$ to add a cvb band to go with your setting! Guess I'll be waiting on that... ;( ;( ;(

You can wait with me. My next purchase will be a CVB Alexandria band. It. Never. Stops. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes, I think everyone should report her.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
upgradingmama|1476470762|4087109 said:
junebug17|1476470299|4087105 said:

Yes - Thanks to ALL of you! It's great to have a place to get answers so quickly! And just for the record, after doing a google search "certified bank checks" are often counterfeit... who knew??
Yes, certified checks can indeed be faked.
As merchants we see it all. It's a constant battle to stay ahead out of range of the fraudsters.

One red flag is when someone offers to pay you extra. People that are actually planning to pay for things usually want a good deal, not to pay more!

If there is the slightest doubt that a buyer is legit, a good practice is to engage them in conversation about the purchase, who it is for, where they have been shopping, particular aspects about your piece that a real buyer would be familiar with, etc. A fraudster has little need to pay attention to those things, so their responses will not ring true.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The bank will hold funds for a week or more for this reason. A bank check is no safer than a personal check and, in some cases, it's actually worse. Either way, don't release the goods until the funds have cleared. Your bank will tell you when this happens. The fraudsters will never be willing to wait.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gotten that email too.

She emailed me on two things I was selling. Both emails said the same thing, down to the typos lol.

No thanks.

It was just the inquiry email though I didn't hear about her daughter lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd insist on payment through Paypal unless it is someone I personally know. That's the first red flag when they have an excuse to not pay through Paypal.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Same here - 2 emails from her overnight, same story and $60/$40 offer. She's on a roll!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep - I just got an email from Deanna H. Thanks for this thread helping me identify shady business!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I just got an email from her this morning! Nothing seemed out of sorts or sent up red flags; but my item is no longer available through me anyway (it's with Grace).

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I was also emailed by "her" for a listing, and let her know that I only accept interac money transfers due to rampant cheque fraud.

Here's the email text just in case someone needs to google it in the future:

email 1:
"Hey, how you doing today, my name is Deanna am making an inquiry about your post, do you still have this for sale? I am Interested, Please kindly reply back as fast as you can with more recent pics to [email protected]....Thanks"

email 2:
"Thanks so much for your kind and humble reply, I gladly appreciate this so much, after showing this to my Daughter she really fell in love with it and I am so glad I could find her something special like this, this is my first time purchasing something online and I am disable so I hardly go to the store to get her what she needs and send as I live alone and her happiness is all I seek, now here is the deal, I am offering you an extra $60 to hold this for me plus additional $40 for the Shipping, so I will need you to calculate the total amount plus the extra $60 and the $40 for the Shipment I am offering so I can proceed with the Payment, Just to let you know I will be contacting my Financial clerk to issue a Bank certified cashier check to you to cover for all the expense so if you agree and willing to proceed, Kindly get back to me with your full name to be writing on the Check along with your address and cell phone number along with the total so I can include you among the bills I am paying tomorrow.

I'll await your swift reply.

Thanks
Deanna Hanchey" [email protected]

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
This person is still at it. I opened my email this morning to find one from her. Why isn't loupetroop doing something about this ? :angryfire:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One person I used to work with almost got arrested while trying to deposit a check in a similar scam. In their case the item being sold was a car - so a much larger check - but the general MO was similar.

I'm glad you didn't fall for this scam!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She probably just got a huge settlement in Tanzania also but needs you to help her receive it. I will watch for "her" on my listings also.

Thanks!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel like I should post a fake for-sale listing on LoupeTroop just so I can get some email from her, too. :lol:

This same cashier check scam has been going around the Internet for at least 4-5 years now. People selling horses, horse trailers, and tack were some of the first to be plagued with it. These Nigerian scammers or whatever they are decide to plague a particular classifieds site until they finally get kicked off it. Tacktrader.com has a feature where users can flag a scammer/spammer email as suspicious, and then that email is blocked from contacting any ad on Tacktrader or the sister site, Dreamhorse.com. LoupeTroupe's programmers should implement some system like that where users can flag any suspicious email addresses.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This person also sent me an email feigning interest in my 2.83 ct DBL light yellow radiant ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results