shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I allowed to ask this? (poll)

How much did you spend (or did s/o-individually) spend on first engagement ring?

• One paycheck or less

Votes: 41 33.3%
  • 1 month gross salary

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • 1-2 months gross salary

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • 2-3 months gross salary

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • 3+ months gross salary

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Way too freaking much!

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And @Austina hopefully feels she now has her ORTRTA! :kiss2::appl:

You know I do! If I’d had an engagement ring, it’d have been something small, and as we don’t really have an upgrade culture here, I’d probably still have it, instead of my gorgeous stonking Bella :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I do! If I’d had an engagement ring, it’d have been something small, and as we don’t really have an upgrade culture here, I’d probably still have it, instead of my gorgeous stonking Bella :love:

She was and is meant to be yours!:kiss2:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got engaged in 1983 and hubby paid a whopping $119 for a tiny band of poorly cut rubies and diamonds...so it was a non traditional band but I loved that little band

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just under 1 month for #1 in 2004 and he wasn't earning a great deal.
#2 was about just under 2 months, haggled down a bit.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love these stories, I would love even more to see photos of these original rings!
I can still see my original engagement ring from 1974 in my mind. I also remember it having a bruted girdle but didn’t know what it was then. I used to play with the roughness when I was nervous. I would love to see it again..I was so young and it looked beautiful to me...:love:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We were in the process of buying a house so I told my silly DF to just get whatever setting with a mossy just to have something to show the fam....of course he listened to me...not!

He got the :eek2::eek2::eek2: reaction and I got heartburn....but ask me now if i would have let that ring out of my grubby paws. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were in the process of buying a house so I told my silly DF to just get whatever setting with a mossy just to have something to show the fam....of course he listened to me...not!

He got the :eek2::eek2::eek2: reaction and I got heartburn....but ask me now if i would have let that ring out of my grubby paws. :lol:
I would love to see your ring! :love:

Ereeg

Rough_Rock
Ok since I started this I will share!

First E ring was close to 2 months salary at age 21. And I took a loan out to pay for it. Obviously not smart.

Fast forward 10 years, second E Ring is About 1.5 or less months, but I was able to pay with cash. Totally different story this time around! I guess my dad did know something about me being immature at age 20 ha ha!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1979, my .35 ring was $365. Probably a half week paycheck for him.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great stories here. It would be all the more enjoyable with more pics (esp. of first rings, then pics of later upgrades if that happened).

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
$80 but no diamonds. He later gave me a tiny cluster ring that is quite lovely - I still have it. That was about $150. 1984. I wanted a $500 marquise ring, lol, but I still love the little cluster ... t’s just very tiny ... looked ok as a very young person but looks a bit silly on me now ... I think. Why I am going on about that, I have no idea.
Happy Saturday, PSers!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great stories here. It would be all the more enjoyable with more pics (esp. of first rings, then pics of later upgrades if that happened).

So I have zero decent photos my original ER and WB but here's a bad one. I wasn't taking photos back then so really had no clue how to focus even hence the super blurry pics. Glad to say when I upgraded the diamond and setting my photo taking skills improved. :sun:

original 2.93 GIA GVS MRB
originalerandwb.jpg.png

current 4.93 GIA JVS1 OEC
bubbalahinboxbygreg.jpg

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy to be fair, cameras have come a long way so it may not have been your photograph skills :geek2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy to be fair, cameras have come a long way so it may not have been your photograph skills :geek2:

Haha you are too kind @Wewechew. But I'll take it and add perhaps it was a combination of both factors.8)
(Though mainly my poor photography skills.:oops2:)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Less than one check. We were students, his grandmother had given him a diamond years before "for someday" so he set it in a classic yellow gold solitaire setting (1987, so maybe $100?)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So I have zero decent photos my original ER and WB but here's a bad one. I wasn't taking photos back then so really had no clue how to focus even hence the super blurry pics. Glad to say when I upgraded the diamond and setting my photo taking skills improved. :sun:

original 2.93 GIA GVS MRB
originalerandwb.jpg.png

current 4.93 GIA JVS1 OEC
bubbalahinboxbygreg.jpg

Thanks for these!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for these!

My pleasure.

Adding my ER in between the first and the last.

So in order from first to last.

MRB with shared prong setting and shared prong band

originalerandwb.png

my first OEC with vintage sapphire band and vintage plat bands

beainboxbygreg.jpg

my final OEC with same bands as above.

bubbalahinboxbygreg.jpg

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My pleasure.

Adding my ER in between the first and the last.

So in order from first to last.

MRB with shared prong setting and shared prong band

originalerandwb.png

my first OEC with vintage sapphire band and vintage plat bands

beainboxbygreg.jpg

my final OEC with same bands as above.

bubbalahinboxbygreg.jpg

May i say that I sadore that sapphire band :kiss2:, perfect size and the color is amaze!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May i say that I sadore that sapphire band :kiss2:, perfect size and the color is amaze!

Thank you so much! I bought it from Addy's Vintage on IG. She sold it to me from her private collection. She is a real sweetheart. And a fellow animal lover.:kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results