shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I about to get murdered: cat visit

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been looking for a cat to adopt for the last month or so.
I found one I'm very interested in

https://m.petfinder.com/petdetail/33242757?location=48880&animal=&breed=&age=&gender=&size=&offset=1725

They don't really have a website, though I did find them on pwtfinder and Facebook. I can't really find a lot of reviews, but this is a middle of nowhere area.

She says I'm seeing the cats at a "trailer because the foster mom is gone for the week" which I mean I get that rescues use fosters, but still was concerning.

Anybody else feel weird about this or is this normal for foster animal shelters?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you google the name in the email address given? Because she pops right up with a video and everything.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1449170389|3956989 said:
Did you google the name in the email address given? Because she pops right up with a video and everything.
Yeah, I mean I can tell she's a legit rescue it just seems off a bit, I'm probably just overanalyzing but feels a bit "Craigslist"

Probably worrying for nothing

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you meet her in a public place?

I've heard of rescues that won't let adopters into their homes due to hoarding situations. A local rescue here would only adopt out dogs on their front lawn. She had dogs stacked up in crates in her home. . . so that's what I immediately thought might be the case here. Or, maybe foster really is on vacation?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loves Vintage|1449170724|3956993 said:
Can you meet her in a public place?

I've heard of rescues that won't let adopters into their homes due to hoarding situations. A local rescue here would only adopt out dogs on their front lawn. She had dogs stacked up in crates in her home. . . so that's what I immediately thought might be the case here. Or, maybe foster really is on vacation?

Well that's terrible. That would want me to adopt the cat more as that's sad.
I'm seeing now if we caneet at a public place she said we could but the "cats show better in a familiar environment"

Q

Queenie60

Hi Neil: Are they showing the cats at any neutral sights? For instance, some of the rescue agencies in our town will have a pet showing at a local Petco or similar place. I would feel a bit uneasy going out in the middle of nowhere. Better safe than sorry. I wish you luck, there are many cats out there for adoption and I'm sure you will find the perrrrfect kitty! :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably ask for the fosters info, because you want more info from the person who deals with her (kitty) on a day to day basis. Or request that the foster call you.

A gal I work with fosters for a local rescue and does occasionally go on vacation, but she ALWAYS answers her cell in regards to her fosters. Idk if that's normal, but I would at least try it!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know!

Were you planning to spend a lot of time with the cat? I'd push for a public place, given your reservations. This reminds me that my very first cat ever (who we adopted, or probably the term back them was purchased) in a public parking lot. I was five years old and still quite remember when we got her.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1449170619|3956991 said:
Yeah, I mean I can tell she's a legit rescue it just seems off a bit, I'm probably just overanalyzing but feels a bit "Craigslist"

Nah, that would worry me as well. Can you have someone go with you?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1449171484|3957006 said:
Niel|1449170619|3956991 said:

Nah, that would worry me as well. Can you have someone go with you?

I'd have my husband but he is home with the kidos. Everyone else seems to be working

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trust your gut.

There are soooooooooo many cats out there Niel! If you have doubts about this person, don't do it! Better to be safe than sorry. You will find another cat in no time.

If you feel you must, then insist upon meeting in a neutral location. If she refuses, then no deal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1449172411|3957017 said:
Trust your gut.

There are soooooooooo many cats out there Niel! If you have doubts about this person, don't do it! Better to be safe than sorry. You will find another cat in no time.

If you feel you must, then insist upon meeting in a neutral location. If she refuses, then no deal.

Yeah I know I just really felt like this one "felt right"

You're probably right I should let her go

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is so cute! Her little mouth/whiskers area looks like a bunny...good luck with what ever you decide. I know there is sweet kitty out
there for you (probably several ;( ).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1449173822|3957034 said:
She is so cute! Her little mouth/whiskers area looks like a bunny...good luck with what ever you decide. I know there is sweet kitty out
there for you (probably several ;( ).

Right and they describe her in such a sweet way. The foster woman has exchanged emailed with me making her sound sweeter.

And I don't want to declaw but with small children I'd prefer declawed cat, she's young but not too young, good with dogs, all things I need.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, she's a cutie!

My friend of mine is into animal rescue and fosters cats and kittens (one at a time) at her apartment. I think she also has people come by her apartment to see them. Definitely trust your instincts, though, if you are concerned. Can a friend can watch your kids while you and your husband visit the cat? Alternatively, maybe you could meet at the place that gave the kittens medical attention when they were rescued.

My cat is sweet and affectionate, but she probably wouldn't show well in a public place rather than our home. She gets freaked out by being in the carrier, the car and a new place. Understandably so as that's their nature.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She's adorable.

Can I give you some advice though? As someone who has owned many cats and worked in rescue.

I've gone the "find a cat on Petfinder" route. It's not a bad way to find a nice animal. Don't get me wrong.

But here's the thing I've learned. The best bond I've had is with animals who have picked ME. Not the other way around.

Ideally, I would advise you go to a shelter and see who catches you. You will know. There will be some very cute kids there. But there will be one that see you and decide you are THEIR human. And those are the ones you should take home.

When I volunteered at the shelter I saw it all the time. A cat that had been otherwise indifferent to people would suddenly light up and come alive for someone that walked in the room.

It would always break my heart when the people would pick the 'wrong' cat because they wanted someone younger, prettier, or a different color.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1449181816|3957097 said:
She's adorable.

Can I give you some advice though? As someone who has owned many cats and worked in rescue.

I've gone the "find a cat on Petfinder" route. It's not a bad way to find a nice animal. Don't get me wrong.

But here's the thing I've learned. The best bond I've had is with animals who have picked ME. Not the other way around.

Ideally, I would advise you go to a shelter and see who catches you. You will know. There will be some very cute kids there. But there will be one that see you and decide you are THEIR human. And those are the ones you should take home.

When I volunteered at the shelter I saw it all the time. A cat that had been otherwise indifferent to people would suddenly light up and come alive for someone that walked in the room.

It would always break my heart when the people would pick the 'wrong' cat because they wanted someone younger, prettier, or a different color.

Thank you gypsy I was hoping someone with a cat avitar would come past, as this will be my first cat and I could use some help.

I have picked dogs before and I do try and go for the "feels like it picked me" route. That's how I got my dog Mort. I went to a breeder of all places just to look, and he was a stud they were happy to sell because he was a bitnlarge for his (ideally) small breed.

It wasn't a sad breeding place like you see, but I just saw him staring at me and had to take him home.

I told her I just didn't feel comfortable going by myself to a remote area in the dark. She says shes a retired police officer, and understood. They will "reserve" her and take her to a Petco adoption day this weekend and let me see her there. I thought it would be a good chance to see if I feel she's as "special" as I think she is, or if all the cats make me feel equally as warm and fuzzy

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a shelter that got a bissell grant and has free adoptions this Christmas, but I feel I'm not emotionally prepared to walk into a high kill shelter

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1449174988|3957040 said:
And I don't want to declaw but with small children I'd prefer declawed cat, she's young but not too young, good with dogs, all things I need.
Please don't declaw her unless you are absolutely prepared to make sure she is an indoor cat and will always be kept safe.
If you remove her claws, you will be removing her primary means of defence.
You can tip her claws (clip the clear sharp tip, not the wide pinky-opaque base) with nailclippers easily to blunt them if you're worried about her possibly scratching your kids but removing her claws is making her extremely vulnerable to any dogs, cats or other predators.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
foxinsox|1449186806|3957128 said:
Niel|1449174988|3957040 said:
Please don't declaw her unless you are absolutely prepared to make sure she is an indoor cat and will always be kept safe.
If you remove her claws, you will be removing her primary means of defence.
You can tip her claws (clip the clear sharp tip, not the wide pinky-opaque base) with nailclippers easily to blunt them if you're worried about her possibly scratching your kids but removing her claws is making her extremely vulnerable to any dogs, cats or other predators.

I won't declaw the cat if it comes with claws. Regardless it won't be an outside cat, I live near a very busy road

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They rescued the cat at 4 weeks-DOB June, 2015 and she already is declawed? I did not think that rescue shelters declawed. I am a dog person but have rescued two cats since we can not have a dog. I thought I would declaw until I read about the procedure and psychological effects afterward. Thankfully our cat is not a scratcher. He is black and white short hair and likes to playbite- a lot.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1449181816|3957097 said:
She's adorable.

This is so true!

Our first cat chose us as his humans and he is the most affectionate and tactile cat i have known. More like a dog. Our second cat we chose from a rescue litter and she doesn't like to be held or cuddled (unless she initiates of course!). I love her dearly still but she is a bit crazy.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with finding a cat! They can bring a lot of joy and smiles. :)

I'm surprised, I didn't know that declawing cats was still legal in the US. The practice is banned or restricted in most of Europe and Australia /New Zealand.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1449195561|3957190 said:
Good luck with finding a cat! They can bring a lot of joy and smiles. :)

I'm surprised, I didn't know that declawing cats was still legal in the US. The practice is banned or restricted in most of Europe and Australia /New Zealand.

Yes, I find it odd as well that it's illegal elsewhere but not here.

As I said, I have no plans to declaw a cat with claws, but if presented with two cats with equal qualities, I think I may take the declawed

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed w/Gypsy. When I got our first shelter/rescue tortie, I saw her on petfinder, and spent three months visiting her online and feeling like she was calling to me. I went to meet her and spent almost two hours playing w/all the kitties and talking w/the woman who ran it. In the end, she was the one we went home with. She was meant for me, and I fully believe she came to me to heal my heart after having to put my Bella down. I found out she was brought into the shelter right before we had to make the decision about Bella, and it took a year and a half for me to decide I was ready for another tortie-so she waited for me that whole time and not one person came to see her until I did. Now, our second shelter/rescue tortoiseshell, we went to see one that was on petfinder, I had a name all picked out for her and everything. And I didn't click with her. I spent another couple hours w/the kitties and the woman again, and went home w/a tortoiseshell not even on the website, b/c it just felt right. Now I have my Clementine Isabelle and my Goose Mirabelle and am happy as a clam. Sometimes I think animals can sense something in you..something that they know they can fill or mend or that they just are supposed to be a part of your life.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1449196936|3957212 said:
Agreed w/Gypsy. When I got our first shelter/rescue tortie, I saw her on petfinder, and spent three months visiting her online and feeling like she was calling to me. I went to meet her and spent almost two hours playing w/all the kitties and talking w/the woman who ran it. In the end, she was the one we went home with. She was meant for me, and I fully believe she came to me to heal my heart after having to put my Bella down. I found out she was brought into the shelter right before we had to make the decision about Bella, and it took a year and a half for me to decide I was ready for another tortie-so she waited for me that whole time and not one person came to see her until I did. Now, our second shelter/rescue tortoiseshell, we went to see one that was on petfinder, I had a name all picked out for her and everything. And I didn't click with her. I spent another couple hours w/the kitties and the woman again, and went home w/a tortoiseshell not even on the website, b/c it just felt right. Now I have my Clementine Isabelle and my Goose Mirabelle and am happy as a clam. Sometimes I think animals can sense something in you..something that they know they can fill or mend or that they just are supposed to be a part of your life.

Thanks for sharing. I know exactly what you mean.

I fully intend to try and visit all the kitties at the event in going to. If they don't click I'm ok with not going with any of them

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Niel,
If things don't work out with this kitten, I just wanted to mention that my Mom had a very good experience with this shelter in Muskegon.
http://www.faithful2felines.com
It's not too far from where we both live and might be worth checking out. They have visiting hours where you can spend time getting to know the cats.
Best of luck finding your kitty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2Neezers|1449197576|3957221 said:
Hi Niel,
If things don't work out with this kitten, I just wanted to mention that my Mom had a very good experience with this shelter in Muskegon.
http://www.faithful2felines.com
It's not too far from where we both live and might be worth checking out. They have visiting hours where you can spend time getting to know the cats.
Best of luck finding your kitty!

Oh cool thanks! I stopped by someplace today bit they wouldn't let me even hold a cat until I applied and was approved. And their app needed my last two residences and my flipping drivers license number! It would be nice to find someplace that's more open

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
=)

What are the qualities you want in a cat, hon?

And why are you getting your first cat now?

Just wondering...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you get there, stand in front of the cages and see who reaches out to you with their paws. See who lights up for you, and for no one else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results