shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I a Brat because I want the Bling?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1317600293|3031612 said:
I think you need to separate the ring issue from becoming engaged. If you are a bling lover, it is unfortunate for that love and desire to be tied up in all the other emotions that come with getting engaged. Get engaged with whatever the heck he wants to buy, perhaps, but let him know you will want a large diamond *oen day* to wear, and then buy it when you can afford it.

this is what I think is going on. what if you got engaged with an eternity ring? then add your own right hand solitaire? I don't know though; I guess it depends on your guys feelings. I think in the past century is when we started putting importance on diamonds; I think before that it was rare to have a diamond??

maybe later on if he is into some expensive hobby you can tell him diamonds is yours?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1317759349|3033183 said:
Dreamer_D|1317600293|3031612 said:
I think you need to separate the ring issue from becoming engaged. If you are a bling lover, it is unfortunate for that love and desire to be tied up in all the other emotions that come with getting engaged. Get engaged with whatever the heck he wants to buy, perhaps, but let him know you will want a large diamond *oen day* to wear, and then buy it when you can afford it.
http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php

this is what I think is going on. what if you got engaged with an eternity ring? then add your own right hand solitaire? I don't know though; I guess it depends on your guys feelings. I think in the past century is when we started putting importance on diamonds; I think before that it was rare to have a diamond??

maybe later on if he is into some expensive hobby you can tell him diamonds is yours?

When I got engaged, I knew I would NEVER get even close to what I would want for a center diamond size. This is not to say that my DH didn't want to spend the money, but I didn't. My budget, just like yours, was $4,000. I knew i couldn't get more than a .85 good diamond (which was back then, and now wouldn't be doable). I opted for an eternity band instead - I've never EVER regretted the choice - mine is moderately substantial - 10 points each for a total of 2.2 ctw. It's blingy and beautiful, and i get comments on it ALL the time. I always thought I would add a three stone sapphire ring to the set eventually (when we got more money). But the longer I wear it, the more I just love it by itself. I came in under budget by more than $1200 and i love my ring.

Check out ID jewelry - they have some good pricing and people here seem to be happy with their service.
http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
I guess I don't see that much difference between $4k and $6k. Obviously, it's $2k, but that's not a lot to save up for if/when you're both working. Since you specified $6k in your original post, I would ask your future hubby if you guys can agree to set a budget of $4k to $6k. You could reassure him by telling him you would be more than willing to delay the engagement to allow more time to save up. Be sure to set an actual goal and monthly budget amount though to keep you both on target.

Then, when you have the means and are ready, I would suggest you both go shopping together. I imagine that he will be more willing to buy what makes you happy after he sees you trying on pretties (and he can relax on the money part) and I'm betting you will find that you can be happy for less. Personally, I don't think a $4k to $6k budget is anything to sneeze at especially for a couple just starting out.

But 2ct is a number. That's all it is. It won't make any difference if your 2ct diamond is butt ugly (which it almost certainly will be at $4k to $6k)...it just means it will be big and butt ugly. I don't think you want that. So, when you do go shopping, I would suggest you both go into it with open minds -- you not fixating on size and him relaxing a bit on the money. I'm betting you will find that diamond love can happen in all sizes.

The way I see it, this will be a good opportunity for you two to work together and set a very good base for your future marriage. And your future hubby will soon learn that a happy wife makes for a happy husband. :)

He loves football. She loves diamonds. Embrace the differences and support each other.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results