shape
carat
color
clarity

Always try it on IRL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I was reminded today to always try jewelry on IRL before buying anything online. I have been thinking of buying various things, including a colored gemstone asscher or emerald cut. I went to the nice brick and mortar near my home today and tried on things similar to the things that attracted me. I won''t be buying that asscher! Square cuts look terrible on my fingers. So does anything with straight lines. I tried on a $68,000 emerald cut ring, beautiful in the display case, a huge D IF central stone, and two emerald cut diamonds flanking it on the side--well, it''s a good thing I couldn''t afford it anyway. It REALLY looked bad. I was surprised how bad.

I love the elegance of straight lines and geometric cuts but the only stones that were flattering were the rounds, the ovals and marquises. And those couldn''t be too big. It is strange, I have very long fingers, piano playing fingers people often say (I do play the piano), but somehow they are made so that there is very little room between my hand and my knuckle. I can''t stack a lot of rings and I can''t wear large stones. The only way I could wear something as large as even 2 carats and have it look flattering, it has to be very narrow, like a marquise. I can''t do sidestones unless they are TINY. I tried on a beautiful ring with tapered baguette sidestones today--same thing. Looked really bad.

It''s very strange.

If I want to wear bling, I have to put it on my ears, I guess! My 1.81 ctw earrings look great on me. I tried on little jackets and that looked good too--I don''t think I would ever wear bigger studs than 1 carat in each ear (which my .91''s basically look like), but I would wear jackets.

Trying on diamond tennis bracelets recently--the 2 ctw looked good, the 3 ctw didn''t. I don''t know if this was also because it was too long and needed links taken out. But I seem to need delicate things (with the exception of earrings). I noticed before that I cannot wear large necklaces, either, and definitely cannot wear too many.

Maybe its because I''m petite?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh how I wish I had figured this out sooner! Anyone remember the bezel stud debacle? I lusted after those things for ages, finally got them, hated the way they looked (thought they were too small) got martinis instead (which actually look smaller) and cheerfully wear them daily.

It''s so bizarre to me how much we can love the look of something in a case, or online, and then try it on and go - meh. Or ick. Or whatever, LOL!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am petite myself and somethings i love online, then have to check out at a local B&M to test out, and find that some things thought I didn't like, actually looked really good on me and vice versa. I find that on geometric shape like princess cut I love the look on my finger when they are set at an angle kite shaped. So if I'm about to commit thousands of dollar - I best be trying it on IRL first before i commit. Also the bigger stuff, looks too awkward on me as well (flashback to like when I was five and trying on my mom's jewelry and shoes...lol) , I need dainty necklaces and bracelet and definitely watches (with a small face) so maybe us petite people can't sport the humungo bling? although I wouldn't turn down one if ever in my lifetime DH decides to get 3 plus carats
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately I''m not petite, and I think my fingers could handle a stone of at least 10 carats...shape not a concern.
31.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 3:36:47 PM
Author: monarch64
Fortunately I''m not petite, and I think my fingers could handle a stone of at least 10 carats...shape not a concern.
31.gif

Ditto!!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
true, some shapes look better on me than others... as much as I prefer the square shapes , they dont look that great on my hand... but sometimes I think it is all in my head.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Square stones look terrible on my hands, too!

I've learned years ago to try on IRL. I had ordered a few Tiffany necklaces online and they looked bad and had to be returned. I picked out a few more from the website and went into the store to try them on and all were too big on me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you guys are making me *so* nervous about my custom earrings! I decided *not* to try on the inspiration pair they''re being based on --- because it won''t be exactly like that ANYWAY ... but now I''m shakin in me boots. GAH!

I did make paper fakies & tried those on! Maybe I''ll just stick with paper ones.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 3:55:28 PM
Author: decodelighted
Oh you guys are making me *so* nervous about my custom earrings! I decided *not* to try on the inspiration pair they''re being based on --- because it won''t be exactly like that ANYWAY ... but now I''m shakin in me boots. GAH!

I did make paper fakies & tried those on! Maybe I''ll just stick with paper ones.
Paper works.
9.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 3:55:28 PM
Author: decodelighted

Don''t worry Deco!! Plus, isn''t that style in line with some you already have/love? Or maybe I made up that you said that, lol. I think you are safe! Plus, paper totally counts.

I do agree with the advice in general. I love the look of etienne perret-style bezels, but I have a gemstone version and I actually hate it on me
7.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve gotten so bad about it that I''ll buy a cheapie in a similar style and wear it around for a while before committing! Like, I want a DBTY and am saving up. But I''m going to buy a fake one first and see if I even like it!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
A princess cut, fairly big (like 2 carats, which is big to me) is what I always wanted...until I tried one on. It looks SO weird, and it had to sit up SO high. I tried on the round and it was awesome. Pears look good on my hands too, but my best friend had one, and so I tried not to "copy."

I do have an asscher, but it is a one carat, which is practically the size of a half carat round, so it looks good on my hand. I did try on a three-stone asscher once and THAT looked amazing - too bad I didn''t have 35k laying around!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have to make a run to the City tomorrow so we''re stopping at one of the jewelry stores for this very purpose!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 4:15:45 PM
Author: geckodani
I''ve gotten so bad about it that I''ll buy a cheapie in a similar style and wear it around for a while before committing! Like, I want a DBTY and am saving up. But I''m going to buy a fake one first and see if I even like it!
Wait until the diamond(s) flip all the time and drive you nuts. . . Yes, wear a fake one around first.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2009 5:08:39 PM
Author: MC
Date: 7/17/2009 4:15:45 PM

Author: geckodani

Wait until the diamond(s) flip all the time and drive you nuts. . . Yes, wear a fake one around first.

I want a cheapie one, too - is there such a thing as the double-sided ones, so a diamond is always facing up?
11.gif

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I feel a little bad though about going in to try, knowing I''m not going to buy. The saleslady was so nice.

I did buy stuff from there before, but I can''t afford to spend more when I can get the same thing elsewhere for a better price. This is where I went to try on earrings similar to the $10,000 earrings and realized that martinis wouldn''t work. Their earrings which were very similar to the ones I bought from WF were $15,000. They were ''on sale'' for $13,500. And they weren''t quite as good. they were ''very good cut'', not ideal cut, H & A. They were J color, not H.

On the other hand, had I realized that J color looked as good as it turned out to look in person, I might have bought J, not H. I would still have gone for VS2, though. I''m the sort that would drive myself crazy looking for inclusion that weren''t there because I know its a lower clarity.

Other things that looked lousy on me--anything set EW. I tried on an EW oval.

For some reason, I need all parts of a ring to be vertically oriented--the baguettes also looked terrible on me.

It was interesting to see what they have in a B & M and what they don''t. I do notice that they get trends MUCH slower than on Pricescope. Overwhelmingly, there were round brilliants in the store, in settings of various kinds. They had a lot of emerald cuts--but only one asscher, which they have not been able to sell. There were no marquises. There was one when I was in two months ago, but it''s been sold. I tried on a marquise setting--empty of a central stone. I knew I looked good in marquise before though. I wore one there. Although there were no asschers, there were lots of square stones. Mostly set in halos. Halos were big.

The collection of colored gemstones was paltry. there were some sapphires--only blue. there was one peridot and one green quartz ring. There was a citrine which looked inexpensive for some reason and some amethysts. Mostly they had a lot of round diamond diamond stud earrings (not princess cuts), a lot of settings, a lot of unset diamonds, mostly ''very good cut'' and EGL certed, some gemstone tennis bracelets and a few estate pieces, which they are phasing out.

Everything was a lot more expensive than you can find online. Though definitely not ''maul'' quality--much better.

Really I loved the marquise setting a lot. I realized I like haloes, too, if they are very delicate. When I saw photos of them, I always thought I would dislike.

The saleslady had a ring with a trillion for the central stone. I''d never seen one before. It looked nice on her. I don''t think I''d try it. She took it off and held it out to me as if she expected I''d try it on, which surprised. I guess I grew up a lot more paranoid than she did! Nice girl--I really wanted to have money to buy from her.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
tell me about it!!!!

I love love cushions, adore them. went to try some on and they looked very ordinary on me, did nothing for me at all - I dont understand how I can love them on others, but not on my hands. oh well..
d2b

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree! I love the look of white gold but it looks awful on my skin and I wouldn''t have known without trying it on. Yellow looks WAY better on me.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are so right about trying things on. After seeing all of the gorgeous halos on this site, I just HAD to have a halo when I replaced my damaged wedding set. I ordered one, kept it for about a day and sent it back. It looked horrible on my hand. I think they''re beautiful, but not at all for me.

I''m glad you brought this up because I apparently didn''t learn my lesson. I am planning to change my current setting to something with sidestones (maybe tapered baguettes), but I haven''t tried rings with sidestones on. I have been searching the jewelry sites for one, but I think I need to head to a jewelry store first. That gives me something to do today!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We made it to one store today is all. I too felt bad about not buying anything. They had quite a few colored stones, and one (synthetic) cushion emerald I tried on and liked the mm size, so that was helpful. No split shank cushions to give me an idea of what mine will look like. No bezels. I tried on a thin eternity band, since I''ve been thinking of going that way too for my wedding ring..and then I realized that the reason it was so sparkly-was the metal. The diamonds were really dark I thought.

Hopefully on our next reconnaissance mission we''ll have more time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results