shape
carat
color
clarity

Alpha Omega engagement ring - am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alamb

Rough_Rock

I am getting a new engagement ring for my 10 year anniversary. My husband has asked me to do the research and find what I want as he knows I could take forever and doesn''t have the patience to visit countless jewelers and websites with me. Anyhow, I''ve been doing a lot of research and looked at countless diamonds online and in stores. I was expecting to buy online after being disappointed at the sparkle of the diamonds at Tiffany''s. Although they were rated ideal cut, the HCA rated them only as good. I''ve been having a hard time finding a large diamond in the colorless range that rates excellent on the HCA.

I''m looking for something in the colorless range, 2.5ish rb diamond, ideal cut. Something that HCA rates Excellent or under 2.0. I''ve only been looking at VS2 or better. In any case I happened to walk into Alpha Omega at the mall yesterday and absolutely fell in love with a 3.03 ct, E color, S1 clarity, AGS Ideal cut diamond ring. The mounting is from coast diamond and has side baguettes .83 tw. Anyway, the price was 76k and the sales person indicated she would give us a really good deal (she''ll discount, but I have no idea how much), I guess she''ll talk to my husband.
My problem is this:

1) I know you shouldn''t be getting a diamond at the mall, but I''ve been looking a lot and the fire and brilliance in this diamond is amazing.

2) I was expecting to get VS1 or better but this is an S1. I absolutely loved the way it looked to the eye. I examined it under the loop and could see the inclusions but should I care if I love it?

3) When I look at diamonds online in the E category, S1, ideal cut, the price is closer to 50k. However, I couldn''t find one that rated excellent like this one did in the HCA. Also, I''m not sure how much of the 76k would be attributable to the setting. So, I''m not sure what a fair price would be for this ring.

4) The AGS certification is one before they started including light performance. Should I care if it is absolutely beautiful and Excellent in the HCA?

Thank you anyone who can respond with your thoughts!!

Allison

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif

I will comment on a few of the questions you have and leave some for others. The price does seem high to me. I don't know what she will discount it however. Is the setting what you want? Or does is just come with the diamond as a package?

There is nothing wrong with looking at SI diamonds, assuming they are graded by a reliable lab. And AGS definitely is. Clarity opinions vary tremondously but my feeling (and the feeling of many here) is that if you can see no inclusions with the naked eye, you are good to go. I like being able to see a small inclusion with a loupe because I always know it is my diamond. With my VS2, I have never seen any of the inclusions but I wouldn't mind if I could. You and no one else will be walking around with a loupe over your diamond. SIs can save you some money and with this one, there is no visible consequence.

Make sure you get a chance to view the diamond away from their jewelry store lighting. Some here have bought from mall jewelers only to get it home and be disappointed.

alamb

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying. I actually love the setting and the diamond is already mounted in it so I didn''t examine the loose diamond. I tried putting my hand over diamond to see what it looked like in low light and I still liked it. However, how do I examine it away from the jewelry store lighting? I mean, it''s not like they are going to let me take it home? Ideas? Also, here are the specs on the diamond if it helps:

Crown Angle 35.7
Pav. Angle 40.4
Depth 62.5
Table 56
AGS Ideal
3.03 ct
E color
S1 Clarity

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Some places will have a room with different lighting. Some places will also let you take it out of the store and even outside (with an employee) to see it better.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
that seems really expensive. for that kind of money they should unmount it for you and let you pick an independant apraiser to look at it.

this one is smaller, only 2.04 ct, E, VS1, HCA 1.5 $30,000
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/361/

This on is bigger, 3.05ct, VS2, although it is a G, so i dont know if that is too low in color for you. HCA 1.4
price unknown, but by looking at the other stock, my guess would be about $50,000
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2165/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results