shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost there!?! DiamCalc request and final(!?) questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

computerguy

Rough_Rock
I think I'm almost there!!!! As a techy/nerdy guy, I have been voraciously reading all I can on cut, cut and more cut. There's a lot to read about!

Could someone please do me for a .gem file? The specifications are:

Round brilliant

5.88 - 5.89 x 3.66mm (seems like it's quite round)

AGS 000 stone

supposed to be H&A (but haven't seen it yet)

D colour

VS2 clarity

0.780 ct

62.2% depth

55% table

34.6 crown angle

40.8 pavilion angle (quite good but still a tad high, since I'm picky.)

pointed culet

15.3% crown percentage

43.0% pavilion percentage

faceted girdle 1.2% to 2.2% (too much variation?)

neglible flourescence

Note saying "Additional clouds and surface grain lines are not shown" (huh?)

HCA of 1.4, excellent withing TIC range (ex, ex, ex, vg)

Aside from the .gem file, which I plan to pop into GemAdvisor / DiamCalc, I still have a few more questions:

1. how much variation should one expect in a girdle? Is the 1.0% variation of 1.2% to 2.2% way too much? I've read posts saying that corresponds to thin (bordering on medium) and slightly thick. Comments? (is this why the HCA value for spread / diameter for weight) is listed as very good?
  2. I've never seen the notation of "Additional clouds and surface grain lines are not shown". This is probably from not reading enough AGS certs. Is this notation good or bad?

I still haven't physically seen the stone or seen the pricing yet. I look forward to playing with the DaimCalc program!

RWW

Thanks for the explanation on the nail-head light return hint. I almost got an EGL stone with unknown angles. The IdealScope showed me the nail-head almost immediately. Thanks Gary!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK now you have a nice stone.
If you have the gem file you can do your own Gem Adviser, or emaile the gem file at [email protected] and I will do the true DC for you.
You can find lots of DC's with those angles here - they do not need running again
1.gif

computerguy

Rough_Rock
I got the sarin data! (The sarin file is attached as a file). There's some info that I would like some advice. Comments on the girdle number and expert cut-geek comments are eagerly in order...

1. Most of the data from the EGL generated Sarin data corresponds quite nicely to the AGS cert. The exception is the girdle data. The sarin data is 1.53% to 2.21%. The problem is that the AGS values are 1.2% to 2.2%. I know that there is going to be some normal variability between machines. The differences between the AGS cert values are in general pretty close to the AGS numbers (with the exception of the girdle minimums). Why is this difference off so much (1.53% - 1.2% = 0.33%) when all the other numbers (in my uninformed newbie opinion) so similar?
  2. Any comments on the crown angles? The Sarin data says 34.5 degrees (pretty close to the AGS 34.6 degress). All eight angles are 35.3, 35.1, 34.4, 34.3, 34.2, 34.8, 34.8 and 35.1. This gives an average of 34.5 and a min/max of 34.2 to 35.3. How good / consistent are these numbers? I noticed that two crown facets are on the magic 34.8 number and 3 facets are over 34.8 (the 35.3, 35.1, 35.1).
  3. Any comments on the pavilion angles? The Sarin data says 40.9 degrees (pretty close to the AGS 40.8 degrees). All eight angles are 41.0, 41.0, 40.9, 40.8, 40.8, 40.8, 40.9, and 41.0. This gives an average of 40.9 with a min/max of 40.8 to 41.0. How good / consistent are these numbers? (two facets are at the magic 40.9 and three are above (41.0, 41.0, 41.0). \What I'm asking is the following:

• What's the deal with the variation in the girdle min between the AGS and the EGL sarin?
  • Given all the crown angles and all the pavilion angles, what do you think of the stone overall?

Sorry I have not minor facet info. Not having read enough Sarin reports kinda puts me at a disadvantage. Perhaps the cut-geeks on PS can comment.

RWW

sarin2_edited.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results