shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost pulled the trigger, then got tint-nervous

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I was *this* close to pulling the trigger on a Vrai emerald cut solitaire, but fell into the black hole of reviews and dug up too many stories on brown and pink tints. Well shoot, what do I do? I am quite new to this adventure...

I need to narrow this down to 1 of 2 stones, but without seeing them person I'm just scared. I haven't purchased from Vrai before so I know I can return a stone if necessary. I think I see yellow tints, and maybe that indicates brown tint in real life... Or I'm over thinking this and am fatigued by looking at SO MANY STONES.

Please - what can I do, what questions can I ask, to determine if there is a tint in these stones? Is there a really great thread in this forum that you can point me to?

https://www.vrai.com/diamonds/d/emerald-2-58-ideal-h-vs2-f258922/?flow=diamond
2.58ct
Cut - excellent
H, VS2
6.86mm x 9.72mm x 4.28mm (however I do lean more toward 1.45 ratio, so see the one below)

https://www.vrai.com/diamonds/d/emerald-2-63-excellent-h-vs2-f508567/?flow=diamond
2.63ct
Cut - excellent
H, VS2
6.88mm x 9.94mm x 4.25mm

Price-wise Vrai is winning for me, but I did check 1215, James Allen, Cleanorigin, Brilliant Earth, Miadonna, and RareCarat.

Thank you for your advice, I very much appreciate it.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about others but I find it hard to see tint via computer screen. There are simply too many variables. The best way is to order and see the diamond with a white sheet of paper behind it. Also keep in mind is the type of metal you are planning to put it in. Yellow gold will be more forgiving. Are you looking for icy white? I see a slightly more brown yellow tint in your 2nd diamond, but I think you are pretty safe in general to go H.

I just order a J color myself from RareCarat and plan to do an inspection since the price was really great for the clarity and I don't want it to get snapped up.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with the above. Also keep in mind that once you return a stone to Vrai, the next stone will be final sale.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree with the above. Also keep in mind that once you return a stone to Vrai, the next stone will be final sale.

WOA really? Thats not common practice is it?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think you just need to be upfront with Vrai and say that you're nervous about Diamond Foundry (their lab) creating stones with a brown tint (true or not, they need to address this commonly mentioned trait). I can't remember if it's because of older lab machines they have, and they may well have new tech now but are selling the tinted stones first. No idea but worth chatting to them about it.

I like the 2.58 ct stone. I'm not really seeing any brown tint but the video is so huge that you can't help but notice colour. It seems a lot more tinted than a H should be but hard to say. In real life it may be pretty much colourless. Ask them for better shots of the stone, preferably in other lighting.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. I chatted with Vrai and they said there were no "notes" on either stone having a tint. I do wonder how often they would even make a "note" about it, but I am happy I asked.

Here's the setting that I'm using, not from BlueNile, but this is what it looks like. In platinum so I do want as colorless as possible without going crazy on price.

Dot Dash Split Shank

Because I'm so nervous about color with this size (~2.5ct) of an emerald cut, I am going to keep looking for a G stone. Inventory changes so quickly! I wish I could be more decisive and just pick one and move on.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are just going to have to pick and see what you think. If it has too much tint you can try a different vendor.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I think you are just going to have to pick and see what you think. If it has too much tint you can try a different vendor.

You are right, I just need to stop overthinking this and do it :) I needed someone to tell me that, thank you!

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
You can ask your Vrai rep to contact the jewelers that set the stones to find out if it has a tint. I’ve been asking them forever and they haven’t been able to come up with one without a tint. The above poster is correct- you get one return with them and the next one you purchase is final sale. I let the return window going thinking I’d be able to utilize the upgrade policy to find a G or above MRB but they just don’t get them in often at that color above a 2ct range and I paid $6k for the stone so they’d have to have a $9k stone for me to use the upgrade feature.. and they don’t often have them that costly. The MRB I have is an H .. over time the tint doesn’t bother me as much, but I question the light return. All in all it’s always a tough trigger to pull on line. My only advice is that if you order the stone and you second guess it- return it. Return it. Return it. Lol. Don’t settle. I know it’s hard to do.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
You can ask your Vrai rep to contact the jewelers that set the stones to find out if it has a tint. I’ve been asking them forever and they haven’t been able to come up with one without a tint. The above poster is correct- you get one return with them and the next one you purchase is final sale. I let the return window going thinking I’d be able to utilize the upgrade policy to find a G or above MRB but they just don’t get them in often at that color above a 2ct range and I paid $6k for the stone so they’d have to have a $9k stone for me to use the upgrade feature.. and they don’t often have them that costly. The MRB I have is an H .. over time the tint doesn’t bother me as much, but I question the light return. All in all it’s always a tough trigger to pull on line. My only advice is that if you order the stone and you second guess it- return it. Return it. Return it. Lol. Don’t settle. I know it’s hard to do.

I really appreciate your input Laura! I think I may have been sacrificing quality for size, and am trying to talk myself into G+ with a smaller stone. I always feel the need to find the best bargain, and that might not be the right approach for my forever ring.

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate your input Laura! I think I may have been sacrificing quality for size, and am trying to talk myself into G+ with a smaller stone. I always feel the need to find the best bargain, and that might not be the right approach for my forever ring.

Let us know what you find! I still keep my eye out everywhere for a comparable priced stone and size as my 2.38 LG MRB, but honestly the costs seem to have jumped quite a bit .. so the search is becoming more narrow at all vendors I’ve been looking at.. all in all I do love my set in its entirety. Once paired with a five stone it gave me the look I was going for and the tint catches my eye less as time goes on. I think one day you just have to decide and pull the trigger. I bought mine after agonizing searches at 5am before work, on line, because I was like ‘that’s it I’m not missing another stone!’..

If I had had the funds I would have ordered similar stones from other vendors with retune policies to compare. But that’s just not money casually laying around our bank accounts lol

here’s a picture of mine because I do love the opportunity to share lol

Attachments

• D6FBC51E-71CF-4C5F-A9C4-994677457F2D.jpeg
    D6FBC51E-71CF-4C5F-A9C4-994677457F2D.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 152

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Let us know what you find! I still keep my eye out everywhere for a comparable priced stone and size as my 2.38 LG MRB, but honestly the costs seem to have jumped quite a bit .. so the search is becoming more narrow at all vendors I’ve been looking at.. all in all I do love my set in its entirety. Once paired with a five stone it gave me the look I was going for and the tint catches my eye less as time goes on. I think one day you just have to decide and pull the trigger. I bought mine after agonizing searches at 5am before work, on line, because I was like ‘that’s it I’m not missing another stone!’..

If I had had the funds I would have ordered similar stones from other vendors with retune policies to compare. But that’s just not money casually laying around our bank accounts lol

here’s a picture of mine because I do love the opportunity to share lol

Wow, that is just a stunning ring! I think I'm just going to decide today........... I have major FOMO on the perfect stone!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results