shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost loupe clean Rubies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vasamacil

Rough_Rock
Hello all-

I''ve been looking at loose rubies on various sites posted on this board; ajs, multicolour, gemsuite, twin-diamonds, others.

My question is this: Are there no ''Loupe clean'' Rubies? The best I''ve been able to find on these sites are listed as ''almost loupe clean''. Some of the sites (multicolor in particular) seem to only carry even lower clarity stones, with most being ''eye clean'' or worse.

The 2 best (in my price range) I''ve found so far are the following:
http://www.ajsgems.com/RUB/RUB-00120.htm
and
http://www.ajsgems.com/RUB/RUB-00283.htm

But both of these stones are ''almost loupe quality''.

I think I prefer the first, altough it seems to have a wide(r) table which I beleive increases windowing?

I''m looking for a nice balance of quality vs size vs price, with an emphasis on quality. My girlfriend has very small hands, so larger stone don''t look good on her anyway (lucky me:) ).

Any suggetions on the two stones above, or links to even clearer stones, or sources for them?

Thanks for your time,
-Lelyn Tyson

p.s. I''ve looked at cherrypicked.com and they seem to have very clean stones, but out of my price (under 2k) range.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If a ruby was loop clean you wouldn''t know if it was natural or synthetic. There is one on cherrypicked.com that is loop clean but because of this no cert can be given. You also can''t tell if the stone has been heat treated or country of origin.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJS could provide lab reports and there is not telling if their 'loupe clean" is so darn flawless that it prevents proper grading. As far as I know 'flawles' ruby is unusual enough not to expect that when reading loupe clean somewhere.

Some inclusions have their appeal, I would think - inasmuch as one would not want their prized piece to be confuzed with a syntetic. Also, pefect clarity (and that means 'eye clean') is already allot to ask from a ruby. Smaller ones are more likely to be clean, as usual... and I would not want visible inclusions in a 5-6mm ruby. It better be bright red and brilliant to show off for what it is.

At this point, I like the second picture better (more cheerful color and it looks brighter), but that is just about pictures. I can't tell which would turn out the favorite in person. Both seem very nice as shown.

You might want to ask for a picture showing these side by side.

If worse comes to worse, AJS's return policy proved sound when a couple of Pricescope posters tried it. Including MJO...

Does it have to be round ? Try this one

Welcome Lelyn!
35.gif

vasamacil

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

valeria101 -

Of the two I linked, the second does apear brighter, but I''m not sure how the two colors compare (always a downside of internet purchases, i know). I think I will ask them for a direct comparision shot. I do plan on ordering with the extra certification.

I did see the oval cut you linked too, and I love the look of the cut, but the stone appears to be more porple than the other two, which makes it less appealing to me.

One more question -
It there a good depth/width ratio for rubies as for diamonds? The second ruby (in original post) which appears brighter, is also deeper in relation to its width.

Thanks,
-Lelyn Tyson

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2005 8:30:51 PM
Author: valeria101

AJS could provide lab reports and there is not telling if their ''loupe clean'' is so darn flawless that it prevents proper grading. As far as I know ''flawles'' ruby is unusual enough not to expect that when reading loupe clean somewhere.

Some inclusions have their appeal, I would think - inasmuch as one would not want their prized piece to be confuzed with a syntetic. Also, pefect clarity (and that means ''eye clean'') is already allot to ask from a ruby. Smaller ones are more likely to be clean, as usual... and I would not want visible inclusions in a 5-6mm ruby. It better be bright red and brilliant to show off for what it is.
:
Try this one
:

Wow! What a big stone Winfield has. At 1 lb., that is equivalent to 454 gms. = 2,270 carats.
25.gif

Couldn''t a loupe clean stone still have natural inclusions and lack of other signs of synthetic traces at magnifications, e.g., 70X, beyond loupe power (10X to 30X), so that it can be graded as Flawless?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2005 10:04:10 PM
Author: vasamacil

It there a good depth/width ratio for rubies as for diamonds? The second ruby (in original post) which appears brighter, is also deeper in relation to its width.
They are usually deep, and since the material is less brilliant it needs to be so - otherwise you'd get a window in the middle of the stone. I would not consider the extra depth a problem given the price is right for the size & all.

Basically... no. These stones are allot more about color than brighteness, and for that I don't think the implicit cut rules are as cleat cut as the AGS0 (whichever version) for round diamonds.

I like the notes about gemstone cut quality at Palagems - you may want to take a look.

... as far as I can tell.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hi Vasamacil,
Just want to add a word on this subject: I dont understand the need of loupe clean colored stone. The loupe clean concept is coming from the diamond industry in order to be able to sell some stone at a higher price and maximise the profit. Please tell me what is the difference if your stone has inside a minute crystal inlcusion the size of a pin point which is not even visible when you look at the stone under normal conditions?
I have to say that I''ve a particular dislike for loupe clean stones, and this for many reason that may be you could find interesting:*
First ruby inclusions as needles, crystals are usually beautiful, and its a pleasure for me to be able to enjoy also the internal beauty of my stones.
Second, this internal beauty is also full of information for those who spend some time learning about them: They tell you weather the stone is natural or synthetic and in many cases if the stone has undergone any treatment. As a result for the gemologist these inclusions are not flaws or defect they are useful little beauties!

And finally as the colored gemstone trade get influenced by the diamond industry a loupe clean stone is more expensive than an eye clean stone... So well: Get an eye clean stone and forget all this things about loupe clean stones to be better than other ones!

I love "eye clean" stones as their inclusions does not make them less beautiful while you are wearing them on your jewelry and then their inclusions are source of beauty and knowledge...

I never buy a loupe clean stone.
But I love eye clean stones with one or 2 beautiful crystal inclusions (not a fissure: I hate that...)

All the best,

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hi Vasamacil,
Just want to add a word on this subject: I dont understand the need of loupe clean colored stone. The loupe clean concept is coming from the diamond industry in order to be able to sell some stone at a higher price and maximise the profit. Please tell me what is the difference if your stone has inside a minute crystal inlcusion the size of a pin point which is not even visible when you look at the stone under normal conditions?
I have to say that I''ve a particular dislike for loupe clean stones, and this for many reason that may be you could find interesting:*
First ruby inclusions as needles, crystals are usually beautiful, and its a pleasure for me to be able to enjoy also the internal beauty of my stones.
Second, this internal beauty is also full of information for those who spend some time learning about them: They tell you weather the stone is natural or synthetic and in many cases if the stone has undergone any treatment. As a result for the gemologist these inclusions are not flaws or defect they are useful little beauties!

And finally as the colored gemstone trade get influenced by the diamond industry a loupe clean stone is more expensive than an eye clean stone... So well: Get an eye clean stone and forget all this things about loupe clean stones to be better than other ones!

I love "eye clean" stones as their inclusions does not make them less beautiful while you are wearing them on your jewelry and then their inclusions are source of beauty and knowledge...

I never buy a loupe clean stone.
But I love eye clean stones with one or 2 beautiful crystal inclusions (not a fissure: I hate that...)

All the best,

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2005 8:10:45 PM
Author:vasamacil
:
My question is this: Are there no ''Loupe clean'' Rubies? The best I''ve been able to find on these sites are listed as ''almost loupe clean''.
:
I''m looking for a nice balance of quality vs size vs price, with an emphasis on quality. My girlfriend has very small hands, so larger stone don''t look good on her anyway (lucky me:) ).

Any suggetions on the two stones above, or links to even clearer stones, or sources for them?
:
Unfortunately she has very small hands; otherwise, those ''Lab-created'' Rubies should satisfy your requirement for emphasis on quality plus size and also price. Alternatively, their typical sizes of between 9 to 50 carats make them suitable for use as pendants. Nowadays, they tend to be loupe clean. Now that I remember, there are sources which can supply on a per carat basis. Yes, you can get them between 0 and 9 carats too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results