shape
carat
color
clarity

"Almost" Engaged...Need help with deciding on a ring!

lkjer79

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend has asked me what sort of e ring I'd like....I knew I wanted to marry him, but didn't think much about the ring :???:

I have started looking, and thought that I wanted a princess, but now I am leaning towards an emerald. We have a budget of $4,000. I can't decide if I would like a solitaire, or a pave band with an emerald center stone. I was given some advice to think about the actual wedding bank when choosing an engagement ring. I think I would like an eternity wedding band...so I guess what does every one think about a solitiare vs pave engagement band?

Suggestions? I keeping going back and forth and driving my bf crazy in the process!

I have pretty simple taste- so something classic and pretty.

Thanks !

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
I :love: emerald cuts and i :love: the contrast of a solitaire with a sparkly, pave band! you will find with ECs that finding a wedding band to sit flush isnt the easiest thing, but i personally like the slight gap...

with an EC you will get more bang for your budget so id definitely swing that way over the princess cut. Plus they're a gorgeous, classic, understated look IMHO =)

good luck and cant wait to see what you get!

Miss_GG

Rough_Rock
If you are happy with an eternity pave for your wedding band then maybe leave your engagement ring with a plain band, that way u can put more toward the actual diamond itself rather than needing to strech the budget further for a pave band.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
If you get an emerald solitaire (which is a lovely choice) then I think you can get anything for the wedding band. it's just such a classic piece it'll go with everything.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of an emerald solitaire (or any solitaire) with a diamond wedding band :)

OrchidVee

Rough_Rock
I think either would be lovely. My suggestion would be to go try on EC solitaires with an eternity band and see if you like that look. Also, try on pave band settings and see if you like that look. I really don't think you can go wrong with either. I''m partial to pave bands because that's what mine is, but I won't sway you ;-) Good luck!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely pay a visit to a local jewelry store and try both styles on. I think seeing the rings on your hand will help you make up your mind. I know it really helped me! The jeweler I went to had a variety of styles and different widths of bands and it was a huge help in making my decision!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miss_GG|1315268721|3010334 said:
If you are happy with an eternity pave for your wedding band then maybe leave your engagement ring with a plain band, that way u can put more toward the actual diamond itself rather than needing to strech the budget further for a pave band.

Couldn't agree more. Use the 4,000 to get a simple solitaire plain white gold cathedral setting (raised so a wedding band can sit flush against it) and then get a sparkly pave wedding band!! I love pancake's set. Search through the 1-2 carat center stone folder in the SMTB forum-- her set is on page 20. :)

lkjer79

Rough_Rock
After looking at rings in person, I decided against the emerald style. Thanks for the advice! I decided I like the cushion cut. I also tried as a solitaire, and then with a pave band. I think the solitaire paired with the pave wedding band is classic. Hopefully now that I have decided, I will have a ring soon :)

danyhutch

Rough_Rock
What kind of eternity? If you go with a shared prong make sure that the diamonds are not rubbing against the prongs of your e-ring! If so, then you have to get your set solderd or a spacer band! I have a 8 stone shared prong w-ring and i will get a spacer band! It does not bother me but i thought you should know! I hope this helps with your decision on the w-ring!

OrchidVee

Rough_Rock
lkjer79|1315608739|3013987 said:
After looking at rings in person, I decided against the emerald style. Thanks for the advice! I decided I like the cushion cut. I also tried as a solitaire, and then with a pave band. I think the solitaire paired with the pave wedding band is classic. Hopefully now that I have decided, I will have a ring soon :)

Glad to hear that you went and tried things on in person; it makes a HUGE difference. What looks great online/in pictures, don't always look good on your hand. Pave is very classic. DUST to you!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results