shape
carat
color
clarity

Almost done...I think , help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
Hello Every one, Im back for more.
When I began my search I wanted to build a ring that looks like this , but now have decided on this piece by Natalie K . There is another with round. I am reluctant to go with a princess because I heard they chip/ crack dont sparkle as much, but my FF said once that she liked the "square ones". If I decided to go with the princess the diamond needs to be 1.5 ct, and the top of my price range is 7k ish.

Question #1. Which ring do you all perfer?

#2. I felt safe shopping for RB because of the cut advisor but what should I look for in a princess cut?

#3. Can I find a quality diamond in that size for my price? is it reasonable or is it just a little to much

Once again thank you all for your help!

Jay

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 4:00:46 PM
Author:Jay Bryant

Hello Every one, Im back for more.
When I began my search I wanted to build a ring that looks like this , but now have decided on this piece by Natalie K . There is another with round. I am reluctant to go with a princess because I heard they chip/ crack dont sparkle as much, but my FF said once that she liked the 'square ones'. If I decided to go with the princess the diamond needs to be 1.5 ct, and the top of my price range is 7k ish.

Question #1. Which ring do you all perfer?

#2. I felt safe shopping for RB because of the cut advisor but what should I look for in a princess cut?

#3. Can I find a quality diamond in that size for my price? is it reasonable or is it just a little to much

Once again thank you all for your help!

Jay

Hi Jay,

If your GF likes Princess then no reason why you couldn't look at some from the trusted PS vendors who sell AGS0 cut grade Princess and hand selected GIA diamonds with all the info you could wish for provided such as ASET images and photos, Idealscope etc, this would be your safest bet if shopping for Princess, or even rounds for that matter.

Check out these vendors.

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.jamesallen.com

Is your budget just for the diamond? It may be a challenge trying to get 1.5cts for 7k, I had a look and nothing out there really for 7k in that size even with lower colour and clarity, can you lower the carat weight requirement at all?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the risk of possibly complicating things - I just wanted to point out that princess isn''t the only square cut
1.gif
cut-corner squares are wonderful as well, and some people (like me) actually prefer them.

I don''t mean to say that princesses aren''t beautiful because they most certainly are... but it may be worth exposing her to all the possible cuts before making a decision.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I much prefer the look of the Tiffany ring better... The Natalie K looks a little chunky for my taste.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 4:18:23 PM
Author: musey
At the risk of possibly complicating things - I just wanted to point out that princess isn't the only square cut
1.gif
cut-corner squares are wonderful as well, and some people (like me) actually prefer them.

I don't mean to say that princesses aren't beautiful because they most certainly are... but it may be worth exposing her to all the possible cuts before making a decision.
Good idea, usually that is what is meant when square shapes are mentioned that it is a Princess that is wanted but definitely best to check if you can whether she means the usual square shapes such as PC, radiant, emerald cut etc.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the risk of possibly complicating things - I just wanted to point out that princess isn't the only square cut
1.gif

I don't mean to say that princesses aren't beautiful because they most certainly are... but it may be worth exposing her to all the possible cuts before making a decision.
Here is a video with four different cuts: Jubilee, Princess of Hearts, Princess and Asscher

Here's one with just Square Hearts & Arrows diamonds

Ideal Princess vs. Jubilee

Optics of Jubilee (with princess cuts for comparison)

Cushion Cut, Square H&As and Asschers

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
thats how much I want to spend for the diamond. I have been checking out the vendors and find diamonds but not sure of the quality. It could be slightly less thats just what the head set for. she is only 5ft and wears a size 6 ring will it look too big?

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
wow, back to studying! I had no idea about the above mentioned. hearts and arrows in a princess!? haha Im naive

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:22:22 PM
Author: Lorelei
At the risk of possibly complicating things - I just wanted to point out that princess isn''t the only square cut
1.gif

I don''t mean to say that princesses aren''t beautiful because they most certainly are... but it may be worth exposing her to all the possible cuts before making a decision.
Good idea, usually that is what is meant when square shapes are mentioned that it is a Princess that is wanted but definitely best to check if you can whether she means the usual square shapes such as PC, radiant, emerald cut etc.
Yeah... what I''m thinking by the fact that she said she likes "the square ones" is that she isn''t familiar with anything specific about the different square cuts, as most people aren''t.

When I first started looking into engagement rings, I knew I preferred a square-shaped center stone, which I figured meant princess cut was it. I didn''t know anything about other cuts. The next one I discovered was radiant, and while I didn''t like the faceting pattern, I liked the cut-corner shape. The others followed. Good thing I ''discovered'' asschers in time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 4:24:39 PM
Author: Jay Bryant
thats how much I want to spend for the diamond. I have been checking out the vendors and find diamonds but not sure of the quality. It could be slightly less thats just what the head set for. she is only 5ft and wears a size 6 ring will it look too big?
The main thing is to find a well cut diamond whichever shape you pick then size, colour and clarity as budget permits. I think a diamond of around a carat to 1.5 would look fine on her. For the budget over a carat would be doable working with an excellent cut ( crucial to get her a beautiful rock), I or J colour GIA or AGS graded and SI clarity which is verified eyeclean.

This one is smaller than you wanted and you would need to check it is eyeclean if interested.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=477

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:21:27 PM
Author: Tuckins1
I much prefer the look of the Tiffany ring better... The Natalie K looks a little chunky for my taste.
I do feel that there is a huge difference in the look of these two rings. The Tiff is a really balanced beautiful setting. I agree that the Natalie K looks chunky (for my own personal taste) but if that is what you think your FF would prefer then don''t let us stop you!

I think that Musey posted some nice options for additional square cut stones. A friend of mine recently started out with "square" in his mind and immediately assumed she wanted a princess but after he saw a square radiant in person he was sold on that stone. They might not be for you, but there are certainly addional options to the princess.

Also, if you are worried about the corners of a princess breaking I''ve heard of some cutters that will take a very very small piece off of each corner to decrease the stress concentration on it and help make the store more durable.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:24:39 PM
No, it won't look "too big" in my opinion - but everyone's tastes are different! I am 5'4" and wear a 2ct asscher on a size 6.

ETA: What matters most is getting the "best" you can within your budget. We usually advise people to focus on CUT quality first, and then the other aspects (carat, clarity, color) as they fall in your own priority list.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:27:53 PM
Author: Clairitek
I do feel that there is a huge difference in the look of these two rings. The Tiff is a really balanced beautiful setting. I agree that the Natalie K looks chunky (for my own personal taste) but if that is what you think your FF would prefer then don''t let us stop you!
Ditto!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 4:27:10 PM
wow, back to studying! I had no idea about the above mentioned. hearts and arrows in a princess!? haha Im naive
I had a feeling! Enjoy the videos, they''re really great - I''m so glad that goodoldgold has begun doing this.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 4:27:53 PM
Author: Clairitek

I think that Musey posted some nice options for additional square cut stones. A friend of mine recently started out with ''square'' in his mind and immediately assumed she wanted a princess but after he saw a square radiant in person he was sold on that stone. They might not be for you, but there are certainly addional options to the princess.

Also, if you are worried about the corners of a princess breaking I''ve heard of some cutters that will take a very very small piece off of each corner to decrease the stress concentration on it and help make the store more durable.
This is called chamfering.

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
The pic does look that way. I have seen it in store and it looks different. the center stone stands out more and the band doesnt look so wide. I actually agree with previous posters, haha I like the tiff one the best so far. I am trying to find a less expensive way. I have spoke about having one built but they just dont look quite the same. But now looking at 1.5ct and setting Im setting myself up to pay the same it seems...... ugh. I am confident when I pic something out she will love it, she is not very picky when we "lets just go look and see". Im trying to keep it a surprise, thats whats making this whole process that much harder.

additional suggestions?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
If you don't mind my asking, you say $7K for the stone, but what do you have budgeted for the setting &/or complete ring? It is entirely possible that someone here can find you a very similar setting for a little less than you had planned on spending so that you would have more budget for the stone.

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
I have been quoted 1800 for the setting. so that would put me at 8800.

I think I have made things wores by giving myself so many options.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:14:53 PM
I have been quoted 1800 for the setting. so that would put me at 8800.

I think I have made things wores by giving myself so many options.
I''m so sorry, I debated whether to post about the different cuts because I know that sometimes more information does not = better.

BUT, in the long run, it''s worth it, right? A little (okay, a lot) extra effort to get something "perfect" ?
1.gif

Can you have her watch the videos? Or even look at some more pictures?

We are always here to help
35.gif

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
I went back to the independent BM and spoke with the owner. The ring is made by MK diamonds and looks more dainty. I am happy with it. The other day when I went in to discuss having a ring made this one jumped out at me.
However, the center is 1.5ct princess F vs2 $10,080, they are offering to replace the stone with a 1.24 and when held side by side it looks very close other than color(colur?) H vs2. after discounts its down to $4800....that seems very low. the cuts on the cert say vg, vg. I can give the deminsions because they made a photo copy of the cert. for me to compare to others.

are their guide lines to follow or more of a beauty is in the eye?

Thanks for the help.

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock
ok now that I have looked I can find a better diamond online. I just need to find out what measurments they should be

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 10:58:43 PM
ok now that I have looked I can find a better diamond online. I just need to find out what measurments they should be
There really aren''t any set measurements for Princess, the best way is to work with a vendor who as images and hand picked in house diamonds such as AGS0 cut grade and GIA Excellent as mentioned above. Round diamonds are easier to evaluate somewhat by the numbers, but the same advice applies.

Jay Bryant

Rough_Rock

Thank you Lorelei

You all have been a big help. Once the process is done Ill post so you all can see the final outcome.

Thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 9:24:13 AM

Thank you Lorelei

You all have been a big help. Once the process is done Ill post so you all can see the final outcome.

Thanks again!
Its our pleasure Jay, please keep us informed of progress!
35.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure if you would consider a K color princess, but here is a great looking 1.51 K/VS2 Princess from GOG priced at $6K. Link

Here is a smaller, higher color H/VS2 Princess: Link

Someone might have already suggested this one, but it is a nice one from HighPerformanceDiamonds.com: Link

Another smaller Princess from GOG (I like this one a lot!): 1.32 ct. G/SI1

I have a feeling that MK can modify you setting to fit whichever diamond you choose. Happy shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results