Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Alligator Drags Toddler Into Lagoon at Disney Resort

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
This is such a sad story.

Alligator Drags Toddler Into Lagoon at Disney Resort in Orlando

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/alligator-drags-toddler-lagoon-disney-resort-orlando-045400036.html
Deputies were searching early Wednesday morning for a toddler who was dragged into water by an alligator near Disney World in Orlando.

According to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, the 2 year-old boy was playing on the beach at the Seven Seas Lagoon at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa when he was attacked by an alligator, believed to be between 4 and 7 feet long, along the beach. His father rushed into the water to grab the child from the alligator, according to officials, but was unsuccessful. A nearby lifeguard was quickly notified by the child’s father and mother but was also unable to retrieve their son.

Law enforcement officials quickly responded to the scene and taped off the area.

The victim’s family was visiting from Nebraska.

As of 1:00 a.m. ET, as many as 50 rescuers were still searching the waters for the unnamed toddler.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Holy shit.

Those poor parents. I cannot imagine. And those lizards can move REALLY fast in a straight line. That kid stood no chance. And once that gator was in the water, I'm sorry to say, but it was all over and that father had no chance either.

I gotta say. I hear the words Disney Resort and I don't think "lagoon filled with alligators." But apparently the resort backs up to the Seven Seas Lagoon, a man made lake that reaches depths of 14 feet, where signs that swimming isn't allowed are posted. But there is a nice SANDY beach there anyway on each of the three resorts that border it.

TO ME, 'swimming isn't allowed' is a good prevention measure for hazards like BACTERIA that can't LEAVE THE WATER and DRAG A TODDLER IN. I would think things like ELECTRIC FENCES with VERY SMALL HOLES would be more in line for alligator prevention. And I can't say I'm up on alligator control measures but... are there ways to keep them out of lakes? And if there isn't a way to keep them out, then I'm thinking you need more than a freaking sign or two.

Can you say "Reasonably Foreseeable" and "Liability" and "Gross Negligence" and "Punitive Damages." Cause I CAN. Of course none of those things is gonna bring that toddler back.

Besides being the parents worst nightmare-- or even a nightmare BEYOND their worst imaginings-- I imagine this is Disney's worst nightmare too. But honestly... I've got to say, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2016/6/14/sheriff_s_office_gat.html
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
29,147
Oh Man!
What a way to go!

The parents must be flipping out!
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,688
Wow that is terrible. I hope there is some way they can alligator proof it in the future.
 

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
24,427
As a parent, I can't imagine. Losing a child is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Watching it being carried away by an animal takes it to a whole other level. I pray they can get through this.....
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,849
It's absolutely unbelievable. How could a Disney resort have a beach with alligators? I was sure when I saw the title that the toddler was going to be OK, which I guess shows how much I know about alligators, since so many other people were saying, "Once that alligator had him, the father had no chance!"

Where I live, there are no alligators. Prayers outgoing.

Deb
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,964
Heartbreaking. I don't know how the family can survive this tragedy. I also don't understand how this could happen. Why was the area accessible at all to guests? I hope they can prevent this from ever occurring again but now this poor family has lost their toddler forever.
:( :( :(
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
Seriously, I have no words.

Usually, with things like this, when it's humans, I hear about it, grieve for a minute or two, then move on.

But this one is really making me mad where I am actually feeling the outrage in my body.

Are you fng serious. That I take my kid to a place that's supposed to be SAFE and nobody tells me there are ALLIGATORS around.

Seriously, I can't imagine watching your kid being dragged off by an alligator.

When it's supposed to be a safe place. :blackeye:

I am in pain right now for those parents. :(sad

ETA: I just went to read the article but it didn't say too much...just that the Seven Seas Lagoon is man made and surrounded by a beach and bars...is it supposed to be a restricted area?

The other article I just read said the boy was about a foot from the water, on the beach...he wasn't swimming...

But still it should have been made super clear that alligators are around..."no swimming" is not clear enough. At all.
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,290
Listen, this is a terrible tragedy. But this is Florida. Alligators live here. There are something like 30,000 lakes in this state. Plus alligators are SMART and they give no shits about your fences and deterrents. This family was not swimming in a "Disney beach" - they were swimming in a restricted area behind the resort with clearly marked signs that say "DO NOT SWIM." I can't be pissed if I go visit Colorado and go hiking, walk off trail to an area that says "Do Not Hike" and get mauled by a cougar.
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
41,964
CJ2008|1465994366|4044249 said:
Seriously, I have no words.

Usually, with things like this, when it's humans, I hear about it, grieve for a minute or two, then move on.

But this one is really making me mad where I am actually feeling the outrage in my body.

Are you fng serious. That I take my kid to a place that's supposed to be SAFE and nobody tells me there are ALLIGATORS around.

Seriously, I can't imagine watching your kid being dragged off by an alligator.

When it's supposed to be a safe place. :blackeye:

I am in pain right now for those parents. :(sad

ETA: I just went to read the article but it didn't say too much...just that the Seven Seas Lagoon is man made and surrounded by a beach and bars...is it supposed to be a restricted area?

The other article I just read said the boy was about a foot from the water, on the beach...he wasn't swimming...

But still it should have been made super clear that alligators are around..."no swimming" is not clear enough. At all.
Yes, exactly. I don't know the details so only commenting from what I have read and there should have been clear signs stating DANGER ALLIGATORS IN WATER or something to that effect. Obviously if the parents realized there were alligators right there they would NOT have been there endangering their son.

liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
 

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,719
I'm moving to Florida in about a week. I avoided buying a house too close to open fresh water for a reason. Doesn't mean that I won't run into one, just means I tried to do my due diligence. But alligators are kind of a fact of life down there, and they don't respond well to mace.

Thats a terrible way to lose a child, and I feel for them. I agree with @liaerfbv that its a terrible tragedy. Gators are fast, this child didn't stand much of a chance.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
CJ2008|1465994366|4044249 said:
Seriously, I have no words.

Usually, with things like this, when it's humans, I hear about it, grieve for a minute or two, then move on.

But this one is really making me mad where I am actually feeling the outrage in my body.

Are you fng serious. That I take my kid to a place that's supposed to be SAFE and nobody tells me there are ALLIGATORS around.

Seriously, I can't imagine watching your kid being dragged off by an alligator.

When it's supposed to be a safe place. :blackeye:

I am in pain right now for those parents. :(sad

ETA: I just went to read the article but it didn't say too much...just that the Seven Seas Lagoon is man made and surrounded by a beach and bars...is it supposed to be a restricted area?

The other article I just read said the boy was about a foot from the water, on the beach...he wasn't swimming...

But still it should have been made super clear that alligators are around..."no swimming" is not clear enough. At all.
Yes, exactly. I don't know the details so only commenting from what I have read and there should have been clear signs stating DANGER ALLIGATORS IN WATER or something to that effect. Obviously if the parents realized there were alligators right there they would NOT have been there endangering their son.

liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I have to add...

Not everyone's going to know what alligators nearby could mean. Not everyone is informed or aware of how every animal behaves. Especially if you live out of state and you're going on vacation somewhere. Just like people assume monkeys are always friendly and that's not always the case.

There should have been super clear signs to LINK the alligator to the potential dangers - alligators nearby, they move quickly, please keep children close and supervised at all times.

I realize that if the place did that it's not good for relaxation and business - but if the danger EXISTS it NEEDS to be communicated, and clearly.

ETA: and I agree that if you know all that, and you STILL allow your children to play in or near the water, because you think what are the chances, then it's on you.

ETA: You know, people get PAID to think of this stuff. People get PAID to not ASSUME. Whoever is running the operations / safety gets paid to not assume that people "should know." People don't always know.
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,290
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I haven't been to the specific area this family was at, but I have been at several other Disney resorts and they do have signs posted about alligators. Either way, I think it's your personal responsibility to know where you are visiting and what the risks are. I don't know anything about the wildlife in Nebraska, but I would sure as hell google it before I got in a lake there.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
liaerfbv|1465996107|4044260 said:
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I haven't been to the specific area this family was at, but I have been at several other Disney resorts and they do have signs posted about alligators. Either way, I think it's your personal responsibility to know where you are visiting and what the risks are. I don't know anything about the wildlife in Nebraska, but I would sure as hell google it before I got in a lake there.
I hear what you're saying, and it's a valid point.

I think what made have made a difference here is the association with Disney.

It still doesn't take away your point - but I could see how if I'm going to a Disney hotel, and there's a lake there, I'm assuming it's all safe.

I think it's different than going to a lake, outside...
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,290
CJ2008|1465995894|4044258 said:
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
CJ2008|1465994366|4044249 said:
Seriously, I have no words.

Usually, with things like this, when it's humans, I hear about it, grieve for a minute or two, then move on.

But this one is really making me mad where I am actually feeling the outrage in my body.

Are you fng serious. That I take my kid to a place that's supposed to be SAFE and nobody tells me there are ALLIGATORS around.

Seriously, I can't imagine watching your kid being dragged off by an alligator.

When it's supposed to be a safe place. :blackeye:

I am in pain right now for those parents. :(sad

ETA: I just went to read the article but it didn't say too much...just that the Seven Seas Lagoon is man made and surrounded by a beach and bars...is it supposed to be a restricted area?

The other article I just read said the boy was about a foot from the water, on the beach...he wasn't swimming...

But still it should have been made super clear that alligators are around..."no swimming" is not clear enough. At all.
Yes, exactly. I don't know the details so only commenting from what I have read and there should have been clear signs stating DANGER ALLIGATORS IN WATER or something to that effect. Obviously if the parents realized there were alligators right there they would NOT have been there endangering their son.

liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I have to add...

Not everyone's going to know what alligators nearby could mean. Not everyone is informed or aware of how every animal behaves. Especially if you live out of state and you're going on vacation somewhere. Just like people assume monkeys are always friendly and that's not always the case.

There should have been super clear signs to LINK the alligator to the potential dangers - alligators nearby, they move quickly, please keep children close and supervised at all times.

I realize that if the place did that it's not good for relaxation and business - but if the danger EXISTS it NEEDS to be communicated, and clearly.

ETA: and I agree that if you know all that, and you STILL allow your children to play in or near the water, because you think what are the chances, then it's on you.

ETA: You know, people get PAID to think of this stuff. People get PAID to not ASSUME. Whoever is running the operations / safety gets paid to not assume that people "should know." People don't always know.
But they were not in a guest area. They were behind the resort in a restricted area. Truly, Disney could have had NO signs about not swimming there and it still wouldn't have been their fault for this family's negligence IMO. It's not Disney's responsibility to educate their guests on alligator safety in restricted areas (which are restricted for a reason).
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
liaerfbv|1465996278|4044262 said:
CJ2008|1465995894|4044258 said:
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
CJ2008|1465994366|4044249 said:
Seriously, I have no words.

Usually, with things like this, when it's humans, I hear about it, grieve for a minute or two, then move on.

But this one is really making me mad where I am actually feeling the outrage in my body.

Are you fng serious. That I take my kid to a place that's supposed to be SAFE and nobody tells me there are ALLIGATORS around.

Seriously, I can't imagine watching your kid being dragged off by an alligator.

When it's supposed to be a safe place. :blackeye:

I am in pain right now for those parents. :(sad

ETA: I just went to read the article but it didn't say too much...just that the Seven Seas Lagoon is man made and surrounded by a beach and bars...is it supposed to be a restricted area?

The other article I just read said the boy was about a foot from the water, on the beach...he wasn't swimming...

But still it should have been made super clear that alligators are around..."no swimming" is not clear enough. At all.
Yes, exactly. I don't know the details so only commenting from what I have read and there should have been clear signs stating DANGER ALLIGATORS IN WATER or something to that effect. Obviously if the parents realized there were alligators right there they would NOT have been there endangering their son.

liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I have to add...

Not everyone's going to know what alligators nearby could mean. Not everyone is informed or aware of how every animal behaves. Especially if you live out of state and you're going on vacation somewhere. Just like people assume monkeys are always friendly and that's not always the case.

There should have been super clear signs to LINK the alligator to the potential dangers - alligators nearby, they move quickly, please keep children close and supervised at all times.

I realize that if the place did that it's not good for relaxation and business - but if the danger EXISTS it NEEDS to be communicated, and clearly.

ETA: and I agree that if you know all that, and you STILL allow your children to play in or near the water, because you think what are the chances, then it's on you.

ETA: You know, people get PAID to think of this stuff. People get PAID to not ASSUME. Whoever is running the operations / safety gets paid to not assume that people "should know." People don't always know.
But they were not in a guest area. They were behind the resort in a restricted area. Truly, Disney could have had NO signs about not swimming there and it still wouldn't have been their fault for this family's negligence IMO. It's not Disney's responsibility to educate their guests on alligator safety in restricted areas (which are restricted for a reason).
See I wasn't finding anything about that...and the few pictures I saw looked like a beach area with chairs around...didn't look restricted at all...

If it was as you say, though, and they *were* in a restricted area, I agree that it was negligence on the family's part. Still extremely sad, but yeah. Then you're taking your chances.
 

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 16, 2007
Messages
1,290
CJ2008|1465996239|4044261 said:
liaerfbv|1465996107|4044260 said:
missy|1465995370|4044255 said:
liaerfbv, I agree if one has the facts and then continues to endanger themselves or their families that is on them however is that what happened here or was the area not clearly marked as alligator territory?
I haven't been to the specific area this family was at, but I have been at several other Disney resorts and they do have signs posted about alligators. Either way, I think it's your personal responsibility to know where you are visiting and what the risks are. I don't know anything about the wildlife in Nebraska, but I would sure as hell google it before I got in a lake there.
I hear what you're saying, and it's a valid point.

I think what made have made a difference here is the association with Disney.

It still doesn't take away your point - but I could see how if I'm going to a Disney hotel, and there's a lake there, I'm assuming it's all safe.

I think it's different than going to a lake, outside...
I guess I just think differently because growing up in rural Florida, I was taught not to make any assumptions about lake safety. The thought of getting in unknown water to me is basically the same as playing Russian roulette.
 

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,719
"We determined this two-year-old child was playing at the edge of the water, a foot [30 centimeters] or so into the water, when this alligator came up and attacked the child," Sheriff Jerry Demings told a sunrise news conference.

"The father did his best, tried to rescue the child -- however, to no avail."

The child belonged to a family of five from the Midwestern state of Nebraska that was relaxing on the shore of the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon at the hotel, Demings said.

The alligator emerged and snatched the boy around 9:00 pm Tuesday (0100 GMT Wednesday).
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alligator-snatches-child-florida-disney-resort-105230476.html

Granted it said no swimming, and the boy though not swimming was apparently in the water, which is all it took. Not sure how restricted this area was other than the no swimming sign. I haven't yet ran across anything that said they couldn't at least be on the beach (but even a beach at dusk on fresh water in FL isn't exactly safe).

The whole thing is just sad.
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
I heard about it this morning and was absolutely mortified.
I think that we expect a certain amount of safety precautions, but human/animal interaction is obviously inevitable. I've been on golf courses before where I've seen alligators and if you step off in the wrong direction, there's no guarantee that you won't come face-to-face with one of them. If I had my child on a resort property, I would expect a certain level of safety. However, it's not much different than getting attacked by a shark in the ocean just steps from the shore of your beach resort. The toddler was only ankle-deep, but there were signs that warned against swimming (although, nothing specific about alligators, so that could be an indication of negligence on their part).
That poor family is ruined for life. I can't imagine the horror of watching your child being dragged away by an alligator. It's truly horrific :((
 

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
3,160
I have no words. This is just truly horrifying. I cannot even fathom how such a thing would so deeply and permanently impact everyone involved.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,314
Ellen|1465987460|4044238 said:
As a parent, I can't imagine. Losing a child is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Watching it being carried away by an animal takes it to a whole other level. I pray they can get through this.....
Yes... it's heartbreaking. I can't imagine what those parents are going through - this is one of those things that will forever change the family, and that many families would not survive.


I'm sure Gypsy's right about the liability, and I agree that the signage could and should have been clearer. The family saw "no swimming" signs and the toddler was not in swim-able water. A sign that specifically and graphically warned of alligators would have been more effective, but that's probably not the vibe the resort wanted to convey.

Still, this family was from Nebraska, not some foreign country that might not be aware that Florida is crawling with alligators. It was after dark. And child although the toddler was in just barely in the water, it seems obvious (from the comfort of my living room) that this is a risky situation even without the threat of alligators.
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,883
I don't see why the resort should have to put up alligator signs. It says no swimming. Anyone would assume its there for a reason - whether its as simple as no lifeguards, dangerous algae, poisonous jellyfish, or gators. Why should they have to say WHY its no swimming? Follow the damn sign!

You don't go driving and see "100 km/h, because the road has turns and hills and you could drive off the road and die". You see "100 km/h".

Anyways, this is still pretty horrific for the family. I can't imagine how scary that would be. I don't think they'll find the toddler alive, or even his body, so I think it will be hard for this family to get closure.
 

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,563
liaerfbv|1465994368|4044250 said:
Listen, this is a terrible tragedy. But this is Florida. Alligators live here. There are something like 30,000 lakes in this state. Plus alligators are SMART and they give no shits about your fences and deterrents. This family was not swimming in a "Disney beach" - they were swimming in a restricted area behind the resort with clearly marked signs that say "DO NOT SWIM." I can't be pissed if I go visit Colorado and go hiking, walk off trail to an area that says "Do Not Hike" and get mauled by a cougar.
Not one for empathy, eh?

BTW, how did you learn this was a restricted area?
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
telephone89|1466005096|4044323 said:
I don't see why the resort should have to put up alligator signs. It says no swimming. Anyone would assume its there for a reason - whether its as simple as no lifeguards, dangerous algae, poisonous jellyfish, or gators. Why should they have to say WHY its no swimming? Follow the damn sign!

You don't go driving and see "100 km/h, because the road has turns and hills and you could drive off the road and die". You see "100 km/h".

Anyways, this is still pretty horrific for the family. I can't imagine how scary that would be. I don't think they'll find the toddler alive, or even his body, so I think it will be hard for this family to get closure.
Because "no swimming" isn't descriptive enough to alert me that there are large animals - I just don't think it describes the danger enough. Especially when it comes to children.

And yes, road signs may not say why the speed limit is only 20 MPH - but perhaps it SHOULD - 20 MPH sharp dangerous turns - might be more effective to compel people to follow the rules.

That said - I also agree with VRBeauty that when I read that it was NIGHTTIME and the father was "nearby" I was like...how nearby. It does sound a little dangerous for all kinds of reasons alligators or not.

But such a horrible thing. I just can't imagine. :blackeye:

And even if this boy IS found alive my goodness I can't even imagine the trauma this little boy would endure. :((
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
29,147
Loves Vintage|1466005419|4044324 said:
liaerfbv|1465994368|4044250 said:
Listen, this is a terrible tragedy. But this is Florida. Alligators live here. There are something like 30,000 lakes in this state. Plus alligators are SMART and they give no shits about your fences and deterrents. This family was not swimming in a "Disney beach" - they were swimming in a restricted area behind the resort with clearly marked signs that say "DO NOT SWIM." I can't be pissed if I go visit Colorado and go hiking, walk off trail to an area that says "Do Not Hike" and get mauled by a cougar.
Not one for empathy, eh?
I don't think that's really fair.

I think in this case empathy/sympathy may go without saying.

I'm sure liaerfbv has plenty of empathy and is only stating natural facts many are not aware of.
We humans are the invaders of gators' natural habitat.
As development increases so will unfortunate and tragic human contact with gators.

Who knows, maybe her educating us may save a life.

BTW, BBC is reporting they've captured and cut open four gators looking for remains, to no avail.
Couldn't they have X-rayed and released them?
But here again, as with the killing of that gorilla, we have those who feel human life is superior/special.
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,615
Saw that this morning. Can not even wrap my mind around it. So heartbreaking.

When we were in Florida over spring break, there were several ponds and little water areas on this resort and they cautioned against being too close. They told us they can run fast, and they can launch out of the water. They explained to us that there *are* alligators there, in those waters, and not to monkey around there. We didn't see any until our last day there.

I'm in Iowa and know that there are alligators in Florida, much the same as when we were in the ocean, I knew there were sharks. Disney can't control the universe, much as it seems like they can. And really, I don't think Disney should be held responsible. There are places we're not supposed to go, things we're not supposed to do..so, we shouldn't go there, do them. There's a reason for that. We shouldn't expect everything to be labeled for our convenience and safety, sometimes we need to just assume responsibility for our own safety.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
kenny said:
Loves Vintage|1466005419|4044324 said:
liaerfbv|1465994368|4044250 said:
Listen, this is a terrible tragedy. But this is Florida. Alligators live here. There are something like 30,000 lakes in this state. Plus alligators are SMART and they give no shits about your fences and deterrents. This family was not swimming in a "Disney beach" - they were swimming in a restricted area behind the resort with clearly marked signs that say "DO NOT SWIM." I can't be pissed if I go visit Colorado and go hiking, walk off trail to an area that says "Do Not Hike" and get mauled by a cougar.
Not one for empathy, eh?
I don't think that's really fair.

I think in this case empathy/sympathy may go without saying.

I'm sure liaerfbv has plenty of empathy and is only stating natural facts many are not aware of.
We humans are the invaders of gators' natural habitat.
As development increases so will unfortunate and tragic human contact with gators.

Who knows, maybe her educating us may save a life.

BTW, BBC is reporting they've captured and cut open four gators looking for remains, to no avail.
Couldn't they have X-rayed and released them?
But here again, as with the killing of that gorilla, we have those who feel human life is superior/special.
kenny it so saddens me to hear this.

Of course, the alligators pay the price. :(sad
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,670
This is very sad :(( I couldn't imagine this happening to anyone. What a horrific thing for these parents to endure. This tragedy will change them forever. A terrible nightmare. My thoughts and prayers go out to the parents of this child.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
OK...I hear you.

The thing is I don't think it's about Disney controlling the universe or anybody controlling anything.

I (meaning Disney) am running a business where I welcome families into that business.

I (meaning the business) am from the area and know what the dangers are - why wouldn't I WANT to warn / educate people about the dangers I know about?

I almost think it's like a matter of...courtesy, but maybe that's not the right word.

Especially when the warning can come easily from just a more descriptive sign.

Maybe the family was uneducated and had never traveled outside of Nebraska or read anything about Florida. Maybe they just wanted to go to Disney.

I don't know. I feel the business owes it to warn its patrons CLEARLY of any dangers.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Something Blue
    Something Blue
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top