shape
carat
color
clarity

Alli Fat Blocker?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
PCOS YUP. That's what the diagnosis seems to be (confirming this Saturday).

Plus, after my bout of pnemonia and broncitis (without having health insurance) and not getting the proper level of care required to stop the really racking coughing... well, my bladder has issues that require surgery. They hope that by doing excercises to strengethen the muscles there and losing weight diet and excercise (although I have to be careful while working out to not make it worse so it restricts my ability to do some workouts) things will heal themselves as I'm still farily young.

If I decide to have kids though that surgery could cause problems during and after. So... want to avoid. \

Rainbow: Cymbalta is for my panic/ anxiety disorder and depression. It just was some weight loss side effects. So I don't think it's specifically (even off label) used for PCOS.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Gypsey: I meant rec the Cymbalta for her anxiety/depression, and the other (3rd) drug for the weight loss. The Effexor caused her weight gain and doesn't seem to work as well as we hoped. I know she was on something for the PCOS but it had some nasty side effects...

My grandmother had the surgery I think you are talking about with excellent results. But, she was also 70 at the time so there wasn't really an alternative.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy-- have you heard/thought about Hoodia? My mom has had huge success with it, but it's just an appetite suppressant, not specifically to keep your body from absorbing certain fats/etc. Some people believe that it's just placebo effect, though. I don't know much about it but thought I'd just throw it out there
1.gif

P.S. I also lost some weight when I went on Alesse (BCP), that could be an option also. The side affects are so variable with BCPs, though
40.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you trying Alli? I think the doc can give you a stronger prescription of it. If you do try it keep me posted on how it works.
20.gif
I say why not?!?!

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 12:48:17 AM
Author: Gypsy

I think the stupid Paxil does something to my metabolism because the FOOD changes don''t do anything much. It''s the exercise and muscle toning that work. But it''s disheartening when you are eating strict and you know the gym is the only really working. What I want is something to give my metabolism the boost it needs, while the exercise does it''s thing.

Anti-anxiety/depressant medications often have side effects that contribute to weight gain. Some effect your metabolism, some increase your appetite and it becomes a lovely cycle of needing to take the pills to level your mental state but the weight gain just makes you more depressed!
20.gif
Have you been to http://www.3fatchicks.com/? They have an entire forum dedicated to the issues of weight gain and antidepressants. Maybe switching up your medication would be a possibility. Theres also a forum for PCOS on there and some of the women might have some good advice.

Losing weight is hard even when there are no medical issues and I know how frustrating it is to work so hard and other issues make the progress even slower. You might want to ask around and see if you can find a doctor that specializes in helping people with medical issues loose weight, your endocrinologist may be able to point you to one. There are a lot of options available out there. Good luck finding a plan that works for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 1:03:40 PM
Author: musey
Gypsy-- have you heard/thought about Hoodia?
I have, but with the anxiety/depression issues I have as well as the PCOS now I will not be trying anything herbal like that b/c of possible interaction problems. It''s just not safe. Thanks for throwing out there though. Sorry you had bad side effects with BCP.

THanks Skippy. I''ll keep you all posted. I''m under 16 grams of fat per meal now anyway, so it shouldn''t be too big an issue for me.
Rhapsody-- I WILL DEFINITELY check that out.

Part of me feels bad, because there are many people much more overweight than I am. I''m a size 14 now (when Mara and I went to JE I was a twelve). But I have really small bone structure.

Oh and my cholesterol has shot up recently too.
14.gif

50 pounds. I''ll be a size 6-8 again. That would be lovely.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 8:03:04 PM

I have, but with the anxiety/depression issues I have as well as the PCOS now I will not be trying anything herbal like that b/c of possible interaction problems. It''s just not safe. Thanks for throwing out there though. Sorry you had bad side effects with BCP.

THanks Skippy. I''ll keep you all posted. I''m under 16 grams of fat per meal now anyway, so it shouldn''t be too big an issue for me.
Rhapsody-- I WILL DEFINITELY check that out.

Part of me feels bad, because there are many people much more overweight than I am. I''m a size 14 now (when Mara and I went to JE I was a twelve). But I have really small bone structure.

Oh and my cholesterol has shot up recently too.
14.gif

50 pounds. I''ll be a size 6-8 again. That would be lovely.
I saw it at Costco 150 pills for $66 I think and I almost bought it. I just am worried about the oily stuff.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2007 8:03:04 PM

No no, I was saying I had GOOD side effects with BCP--weight loss. It was another potential suggestion
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a good deal at Costco!! Much better than other places I've looked at.

Skippy... I would just check with your doctor, and read all the information about it. Just from this thread it seems that as long as you commit to a low fat lifestyle... and work out it might help. Let me know if you decide to take it.

Got it Musey! Thanks
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if I am allowed to; I would have to ask the doctor. I joined Weight watchers and I am exercising. Hubby and I are trying for kids so I don''t know if the drug is a class A, B, C or D.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy... if you have been diagnosed with PCOS, you might want to give the Metformin a try before the Alli. A few years ago, I ended up at the endocrinologist with a possible thyroid problem. After having all the tests, it was discovered that I have PCOS. While I have struggled with cystic acne and other PCOS systems most of my teen/adult years, I did not have fertility issues. So, I was never checked for PCOS.

The endo put me on Metformin. Now, for me... it did not do anything. So, the endo took me off of it after several months and put me on Spironolactone. And I am now acne free for the first time in 20 years (and this was after being put on antibiotics and Accutane... all it took was a testosterone blocker).

Many women with PCOS have found Metformin to make a huge difference. Women with PCOS tend to be insulin-resistant and the Metformin helps the body work better with sugars. Weight loss is a natural side effect of making your body process sugar in a more effective way. If this is a contributing factor to your weight issues, I would think that Metformin would be a more viable option than Alli. If only because Metformin will address the PCOS.

Although, Metformin can mess with your stomach too.. but in the opposite way from Alli.
9.gif

In the rough

Shiny_Rock
Indeed...I know several women who have PCOS that have had great success with metformin...go to a good endo for blood work first though...

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, best of luck!!!

I just also wanted to chim in and say this drug is not new AT ALL!. It''s been around for a while and been used for a while in Eurpoe and Latin America. As long as you keep your fat intake down, you should not see "those" side effects. My sister actually took it for a while and she was completely ok.

This is the way I see it. As Mara said, not everything works on everyone.

As I have mentioned before on other threads...I went from a size 16 to a size 4...yep, 16 at my worst weight!. I was always small but gained all this weight when I came to the US and for about 5 years I stuggled with it.

I went to a doctor and he did some tests and prescribed some pills. "All Natural". Still I was a little hesitant, but I needed to loose the weight!. His program was for me to be on these pills for 3 months and then run more tests and reduce for maintenance. Anyway, long story short. I took the pills for one month and boy, I felt GREAT!. I started to loose weight, started to feel more energetic and it helped motivate me. After a month I said, this is all I need! (in terms of the pills) and I jyst stopped taking them and I continued on with my diet and exercise and lost it all...and have kept it off for a good 5 years.

Would I recommend this doctor? Absolutely! Would I recommend those pills? Absolutely. He is actually a gynecologist and did a lot of tests on my hormone levels, etc....so the pills he gave me were for *me*. This "one month program" helped motivate me and get me started. I needed that extra push and I am so glad I went!. It was not cheap by any means! It was actually $600 for the 3 month supply. I had to buy the 3 months even though I stopped after the first month...let me tel you, it was the best $600 I have ever spent!. And because he just tells you they are "all natural", who knows...maybe I was taking sugar pills during that month! hehe.

I do not go around telling people to go and take pills...I definitely don''t see it as the easy way out. I think you have to be careful, see a doctor (which you are) and then listen to your body every day. You may not need to complete a full program...your body might say "great, I''m good so now let''s just do this, you and I!"....just listen to your body and your doctor. Between the two, you will find a healthy balance.

Create a mental image of yourself at YOUR idea of the ideal weight. See this image everyone morning and think how good you feel!!!. Also, take pictures (this helped me big time). I took actual "mug shots" haha....ugly ones in undies (side, front and back!)...and every month I would take new pictures. After 3 months I put them side by side and I could NOT believe my eyes!!!. The scale or measuring tape didn''t speak as loud as these pictures did!. Finally, I saw my image of my idea of the ideal weight on the pictures...it was just the best motivation tool ever!.

Anyway, I''m rambling now...Good luck !!!!
36.gif
36.gif

M~

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2007 1:40:26 PM
Author: Joolskie
Gypsy... if you have been diagnosed with PCOS, you might want to give the Metformin a try before the Alli. A few years ago, I ended up at the endocrinologist with a possible thyroid problem. After having all the tests, it was discovered that I have PCOS. While I have struggled with cystic acne and other PCOS systems most of my teen/adult years, I did not have fertility issues. So, I was never checked for PCOS.

The endo put me on Metformin. Now, for me... it did not do anything. So, the endo took me off of it after several months and put me on Spironolactone. And I am now acne free for the first time in 20 years (and this was after being put on antibiotics and Accutane... all it took was a testosterone blocker).

Many women with PCOS have found Metformin to make a huge difference. Women with PCOS tend to be insulin-resistant and the Metformin helps the body work better with sugars. Weight loss is a natural side effect of making your body process sugar in a more effective way. If this is a contributing factor to your weight issues, I would think that Metformin would be a more viable option than Alli. If only because Metformin will address the PCOS.

Although, Metformin can mess with your stomach too.. but in the opposite way from Alli.
9.gif

HI Joolskie!!

My doctor actually did JUST put me on this, as I've been officially diagnosed with PCOS now.

I have acne too. And facial hair. And actually It seems as if I'm infertile (not a HUGE deal as we don't want kids, but still we thought the decision would be ours
7.gif
). So the metformin is what I've been perscribed. One pill a day for one week. Two pills a day for week 2. Then three a day.

I'm happy that it has the potential to help BOTH problems! The doctors did a complete Endo work up on me to figure it out BTW PLUS an ultrasound.

And I am happy that I have good doctors.

Thank you Mandarine!! I am a fourteen. BUt my ideal weight would be a 6/8 that's what I weighed when FI and I met 8 years ago and that's what I think looks best on me. I have pictures of my ideal weight... the ones I have from 8 years ago. And was planning on taking 'before' pictures this weekend!!!

Congrats on your weight loss! Great achievement! And keeping it off!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

9.gif
Gypsy, I emphatically echo everything here.......

ETA: I see that you've been started on Metformin - YAY! I think that's really the right thing.

I was diagnosed with PCOS around Halloween last year. On top of that, diabetes runs on my dad's side of the familly (diabetes is prevalent in ethnicities of Mediterrean/middle eastern descent). PCOS usually runs hand-in-hand with being insulin resistant. As a result, the body doesn't process sugar properly. This makes it virtually impossible to lose weight despite exercise/dieting.....it's like trying to fill a gas tank with a hole in it. Doesn't work. Those with it typically have high testerone/androgen levels, which can cause excess facial hair. Skin tags, thinning hair on the head and a tendency to gain weight around one's middle are classic PCOS markers.

I was put on Metformin, and it's made a HUGE difference. Metformin's main use was for diabetes, but it's become a mainline way to treat PCOS as well.

I've lost 42 lbs. since going on Metformin. It takes a few weeks for the body to adapt to it - they'll usually begin on a regimen of 500 mg. twice a day, and then increase as needed. It's most effective at ranges of 1500-2200 mg. daily. Part of that has been following a diabetic eating regimen as well....eliminate or greatly reduce "whites" (white flour, white sugar, white rice, white pasta) and replace them with whole/multi grain substitutes. Choose whole foods instead of refined foods (whole orange instead of orange juice; raw apple instead of cooked apples, etc.). Together, these efforts will help you. If you'd like info, I can list a whole bunch of foods I've found that work pretty well in this manner.

My dad, who is diabetic, has been struggling to lose weight----hasn't been able to lose despite 1 hour every day of cardio. When he saw my reaction to Metformin, he asked his doctor about it. He's been on it for close to 6 weeks now, and now HE'S down 12 lbs. and moving in the right direction.

They have a time-release version now to help minimize the gastric issues. The most common is intestinal gas until your body adapts to it.

Did he also ask you to get a glucometer and begin checking your sugar levels?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 1:15:07 PM
Author: aljdewey

9.gif
Gypsy, I emphatically echo everything here.......

ETA: I see that you've been started on Metformin - YAY! I think that's really the right thing.

I was diagnosed with PCOS around Halloween last year. On top of that, diabetes runs on my dad's side of the familly (diabetes is prevalent in ethnicities of Mediterrean/middle eastern descent). PCOS usually runs hand-in-hand with being insulin resistant. As a result, the body doesn't process sugar properly. This makes it virtually impossible to lose weight despite exercise/dieting.....it's like trying to fill a gas tank with a hole in it. Doesn't work. Those with it typically have high testerone/androgen levels, which can cause excess facial hair. Skin tags, thinning hair on the head and a tendency to gain weight around one's middle are classic PCOS markers.

I was put on Metformin, and it's made a HUGE difference. Metformin's main use was for diabetes, but it's become a mainline way to treat PCOS as well.

I've lost 42 lbs. since going on Metformin. It takes a few weeks for the body to adapt to it - they'll usually begin on a regimen of 500 mg. twice a day, and then increase as needed. It's most effective at ranges of 1500-2200 mg. daily. Part of that has been following a diabetic eating regimen as well....eliminate or greatly reduce 'whites' (white flour, white sugar, white rice, white pasta) and replace them with whole/multi grain substitutes. Choose whole foods instead of refined foods (whole orange instead of orange juice; raw apple instead of cooked apples, etc.). Together, these efforts will help you. If you'd like info, I can list a whole bunch of foods I've found that work pretty well in this manner.

My dad, who is diabetic, has been struggling to lose weight----hasn't been able to lose despite 1 hour every day of cardio. When he saw my reaction to Metformin, he asked his doctor about it. He's been on it for close to 6 weeks now, and now HE'S down 12 lbs. and moving in the right direction.

They have a time-release version now to help minimize the gastric issues. The most common is intestinal gas until your body adapts to it.

Did he also ask you to get a glucometer and begin checking your sugar levels?
Nope didn't ask me to get a glucometer. But the whole thing isn't complete yet. I supposed to get up to 500 mg three times a day.... so three weeks. Then I have another appointment with the doctor.

I would appreicate any advice you have to offer on how to make this go quicker.

I've been eliminating the Whites... and generally do eat the whole fruit instead of the juice anyway. I've been generally watching what I eat very carefully for a few weeks now. WIth the Metformin to boost and reinforce. I'm hoping to get a little more energy too. I have ZERO energy. Had to motivate me to go to the gym. Just straight dieting is easier for me. I'm trying to keep iut under 1500 a day right now. B/C that's 500 calories under what my 'maintain' calories are and it's been okay.... but as you know, it's not easy to see results. So I'm hoping the metformin starts helping me with that!

42 pounds is FABULOUS! I'm supposed to lose 50. But that's very daunting so I'm taking it 15 pounds at a time for now.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Just FYI, I spoke to my friend that I mentioned, and apparently the Metaformin didn''t work for her (terrible side effects). Apparently, a large percentage of women have side effects.

Point being, if it doesn''t work don''t get too discouraged, I''m sure there are alternative meds out there like the testosterone blocker mentioned above.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, you might try doing a search on "PCOS and natural progesterone cream".

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely will do both RBT and Ellen.

I''m just happy to know what the problem is at this time.

PCOS and natural progesterone cream and a testosterone blocker. Got it.

I''m also on YAZ now, BC. It''s supposed to be better for PCOS because of the progesterone. Crossing my fingers!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDL you can go onto the 5 factor website and sign up there to get more information and a few few recipes etc. Also google it to find free recipes that people have posted.

Basically it sounds like the ''sensible eating'' diet to me. The 5 factors are like really basic from what I read (though I couldn''t tell you what they are, I think it''s like healthy fats, protein, fiber, water, and something else). The diet thing says ''lose weight eating only the 5 factors'' or something and I was like hmm but those 5 things encompass basically all the right types of food so it''s nothing I haven''t read before. It doesn''t sound bad or good, just like ''eating right'' for the most part. And of course JS and all the other celebs have trainers who work them out like 1 hour a day!!

I was intrigued recently by reading about the Abs Diet in my Self or Shape mag, which also is kind of the same thing...you can find a ton of recipes online for that as well. Basically it''s touting superfoods, which we all already know, nuts, soy, omega 3''s etc...and you eat as many of those as possible. Again it''s basically just ''eating right'', giving your body what it needs to be it''s best, and less on the unhealthy fats, white grains, processed items. I like the recipes though because some of them are great for nutrients big time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results