shape
carat
color
clarity

All this talk about Diamonds....now I'm curious. Pricing for a 1.49 - 1.99?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello there folks!
Everyone has been amazingly supportive on this forum.
I suspect I will end up being a lifer here based on my love for jewels.

So, after my e-ring kerfuffle, I'm curious what options I've got for future ring purchases.
I'd be very happy to purchase a used ring off of a private seller for a discounted price.
Ideally, I'd get something that's VS2, G or H color, excellent cut (or ideal) etc.

I started looking on diamondbistro. Are there other places? Forgive me if this thread has been repeated in the past. I tried looking for 'used' diamonds, but I didn't get a ton of threads with suggestions. I am a bit scared to do things myself because I don't want to be in a position where I purchase something online and it's not accurately described. Essentially, I'm worried about being scammed given my limited knowledge base :)

If you folks know of some good suggestions, please pass them my way. Am I better off finding a used diamond from a private dealer? Or getting new from someone on PS?
I'd love to get another halo design or something :)

Thanks!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Welcome! I think your ering is really pretty and I’m glad you’re happier with it. However I totally get wanting something bigger :mrgreen2: it’s a common affliction here.
Look on Loupetroop as well as DiamondBistro.. and just keep looking. There’s a Preloved forum on here too where people put links to their for sale items.
I’m not in the market for modern stones so I can be very useful in that area but if you’re not on a deadline just keep looking at LT, DB, maybe Etsy tho it’s usually better for old cuts. Some of the vendors have consignment areas like Jewels by Grace, LoveAffairDiamonds and they aren’t always old cuts.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you share pics of the rings that you liked (that you showed your fiancee)? That might help us be on the look-out for you :)

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi! Welcome! I think your ering is really pretty and I’m glad you’re happier with it. However I totally get wanting something bigger :mrgreen2: it’s a common affliction here.
Look on Loupetroop as well as DiamondBistro.. and just keep looking. There’s a Preloved forum on here too where people put links to their for sale items.
I’m not in the market for modern stones so I can be very useful in that area but if you’re not on a deadline just keep looking at LT, DB, maybe Etsy tho it’s usually better for old cuts. Some of the vendors have consignment areas like Jewels by Grace, LoveAffairDiamonds and they aren’t always old cuts.

Fantastic!
Thanks very much for your help!
The more lovely people I meet on this forum, the more I feel confident that folks on here have my back and will help me if I would like some opinions!

I have already spotted at least one diamond that I'd love to get, but I don't know what I should be offering as a price (from diamondbistro). The seller wants $14k for a 1.45 ct birks diamond. I'd like to spend at the most 7k....so that might be too much of a discount.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like you like a swoopy (lol, can we call it that?) pave setting, and also a pave flowery one. Here are some JA rings - do you like any of these? (note that there were others and I didn't paste them all here - these were the budget-friendlier options)

$1980 - https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ss-engagement-ring-by-martin-flyer-item-54989

$1100 (kind of a combo of swoopy and leafy):https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...modern-leaf-bypass-engagement-ring-item-50128

VERY budget friendly at $650: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...s-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-9225

swoopy halo at $1410: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...gold-infinity-halo-engagement-ring-item-59748

Floral with sapphire at $1120: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-white-gold-floral-engagement-ring-item-53291

another flowery one $1110: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-pave-vine-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50118

pretty twisted shank halo at $1610: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17462

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks like you like a swoopy (lol, can we call it that?) pave setting, and also a pave flowery one. Here are some JA rings - do you like any of these? (note that there were others and I didn't paste them all here - these were the budget-friendlier options)

$1980 - https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ss-engagement-ring-by-martin-flyer-item-54989

$1100 (kind of a combo of swoopy and leafy):https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...modern-leaf-bypass-engagement-ring-item-50128

VERY budget friendly at $650: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...s-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-9225

swoopy halo at $1410: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...gold-infinity-halo-engagement-ring-item-59748

Floral with sapphire at $1120: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-white-gold-floral-engagement-ring-item-53291

another flowery one $1110: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-pave-vine-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50118

pretty twisted shank halo at $1610: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-halo-and-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17462

Thanks so much! That's so wonderful for you to pull up picks on my behalf!!!!! You're very kind.
I love the twisted shank halo and swoopy halo.
Honestly, I'm pretty easy going at this point for designs.
Is it more economical to go new or used in your opinion?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! That's so wonderful for you to pull up picks on my behalf!!!!! You're very kind.

used for sure, you just have to make sure the diamond is GIA or AGS graded and that it's cut well. It will take patience and a lot of sifting (esp. if you use ebay) to find the right ring, but you will!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might pay 25% less for used; but the cost is that you are in some way going to compromise on what you really want, and may be dissatisfied after the purchase. If I were you, having read your threads, I would try to return the engagement ring and say to your fiancé that you really want the two of you to design your unique ring. Then look for the right designer to work with. I get a CVB vibe from you, but could be wrong. I think you are very particular, and that’s not a bad thing; but you may regret trying to make preloved work for you. Look up threads by ilikeshiny for a great post on designing your own ring.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
used for sure, you just have to make sure the diamond is GIA or AGS graded and that it's cut well. It will take patience and a lot of sifting (esp. if you use ebay) to find the right ring, but you will!

I'll definitely begin my hunt now. Once I have my mind set, I can get pretty committed to the idea :)

I never thought ebay might be worthwhile. Perhaps I should check them out as well.
I'm excited to start asking folks on here for help more often!

You might pay 25% less for used; but the cost is that you are in some way going to compromise on what you really want, and may be dissatisfied after the purchase. If I were you, having read your threads, I would try to return the engagement ring and say to your fiancé that you really want the two of you to design your unique ring. Then look for the right designer to work with. I get a CVB vibe from you, but could be wrong. I think you are very particular, and that’s not a bad thing; but you may regret trying to make preloved work for you. Look up threads by ilikeshiny for a great post on designing your own ring.

Thanks very much for your reply.
Honestly, at this point, I'm good with a nice, larger and better quality stone with a nice simple halo band.
I used to be a lot pickier, but I've come to these resolutions :) I'm all about the bargain, so the preloved route might be where I begin my journey.

Tiffany's is being pretty particular in that they refuse to process the refund.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You aren't going to be satisfied with the workmanship on most of those rings if you compare to Tiffany and Cartier.....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered an Old European cut diamond? You can get WAY more for your money, but it's a personal preference. I sold my 2 carat modern cut for an OEC and am much happier. I just love they way they perform and I was able to get a honker.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, what is your finger size? Are you happy with the size of the center diamond you have? Or are you looking to go bigger?

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Exactly what I was thinking. Her rings are far more delicate and refined than they look on her website. I'd peruse her istagram.
https://www.instagram.com/maevona/

I love her designs!
They are pretty cool to look at. I think if I get the opportunity to purchase a new setting, I'd love to get one of hers!
Thanks to farralyn for the suggestion!

Have you considered an Old European cut diamond? You can get WAY more for your money, but it's a personal preference. I sold my 2 carat modern cut for an OEC and am much happier. I just love they way they perform and I was able to get a honker.

Really?!? I never thought about an OEC. If you don't mind, I'd love to see a pic of yours! Tell me how they perform better than a modern cut! You've got my interest peaked.
I'd love to get a new ring in the next week or so.
Thanks for your suggestions.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love her designs!
They are pretty cool to look at. I think if I get the opportunity to purchase a new setting, I'd love to get one of hers!

Really?!? I never thought about an OEC. If you don't mind, I'd love to see a pic of yours! Tell me how they perform better than a modern cut! You've got my interest peaked.

I can give you the link to a video of ring I have on consignment right now- it's a commissioned art deco cluster ring reproduction so not what you are looking for, but the center stone is VERY well cut and you can see how an OEC performs. The halo stones are also old cuts. I will try to find some videos of the one in my avatar...

OEC's throw more pastel flashes than modern cuts, sparkle like MAD in dim and candlelight and lower colors can face up very white- I have an L OEC and a K OEC pear cut and they face up very white. It's not that they perform "better" than modern cuts, they just perform differently. Chunkier flashes, more personality, more unique and there is a history to them. There are a lot of threads talking about the differences, and why people prefer OECs to MRB's. You should definitely see them in real life to decide, though. I am NOT trying to sell you on OEC's- it is definitely personal preference and I am just bringing it up as an alternative for you since you want something unique and in your price range....

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Vintage-Rings/0B93ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-/i-r7CnFjb

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love her designs!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but whyyyyy would you want a new ring in a week when you already have a gorgeous Tiffany Soleste that people would die for?? I am all about having more diamonds and more rings, but my sincerest suggestion for you is to wait a little. I know how exciting is when you first find this forum..there is amazing bling here! And it is very tempting to want to buy more and different, but sometimes it is best to educate yourself first and whenever possible - see some real examples before you make a big purchase in order to avoid future disappointment. You have a high-end taste and I doubt that you will be satisfied with just any ring. Once you spend the time to look through the forum, read some articles and talk with the folks here, I would suggest looking into Victor Canera. You already have a modern round ring, maybe see some of his CERs & CECs (Canera European Round & Canera European Cushion).

In the meantime, if you are still very unhappy with your Tiffany ring, I suggest raising your issue as high as you can and really seeing if you can get to some resolution/return there before your 30 days expire.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't take this the wrong way, but whyyyyy would you want a new ring in a week when you already have a gorgeous Tiffany Soleste that people would die for?? I am all about having more diamonds and more rings, but my sincerest suggestion for you is to wait a little. I know how exciting is when you first find this forum..there is amazing bling here! And it is very tempting to want to buy more and different, but sometimes it is best to educate yourself first and whenever possible - see some real examples before you make a big purchase in order to avoid future disappointment. You have a high-end taste and I doubt that you will be satisfied with just any ring. Once you spend the time to look through the forum, read some articles and talk with the folks here, I would suggest looking into Victor Canera. You already have a modern round ring, maybe see some of his CERs & CECs (Canera European Round & Canera European Cushion).

In the meantime, if you are still very unhappy with your Tiffany ring, I suggest raising your issue as high as you can and really seeing if you can get to some resolution/return there before your 30 days expire.

+1- that is your BEST option. Then you can take those funds and get the ring of your dreams. I have to ask though, is your fiancee on board with all of this???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Save that money for an upgrade and not for another similar ring. Look, you can get a 1.8 H VS2 superideal cut stone for $18K...

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3739938.htm

I also recommend Victor Canera as he is a master ringmaker and makes them handforged, which is a step above Tiffany. He also sells modern and antique style well cut diamonds.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement

He makes the best pave halo available anywhere. We have members here with very large diamonds who have chosen him to make their pave settings.

My diamond (in my avatar picture) is a newly cut Old European cut and is cut to have superior light performance. It is from the brand August Vintage, but they are expecting new rounds any day so I can't link them for you yet. The originator is now selling the stone partly through James Allen and may sell through other select jewelers. They are in transition right now so that's why there's a delay.

If your fiance is not inclined to go along with selling the ring and starting over now, I'd start saving and then ask him for a new anniversary ring in 5 years or something like that. Then you can gradually start wearing that new ring instead of the current engagement ring.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey, I feel like I’m going through the same thing as you are.

I’m not a fan of my e-ring (haha even though I picked it myself!) and I’m now going through the struggle and guilt of changing it/upgrading.

It sounds like you dislike your e-ring to the extent that you’re looking for a different ring, because you can’t stand the design any more and it’s stuck to your hand daily.

I know you don’t want to sell it at a loss of 20-30%, but if you know you REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike it and you can live with never seeing it ever again, maybe you should just sell it once and for all, don’t think about the wasted money and with the money you get from the sale, get a Super Ideal diamond or ideal cut of a bigger size and the exact custom halo setting that you want. I’m sure that you can get a bigger diamond with a custom halo setting. I would suggest you go into typical jewelry stores and make sure you’re okay with the quality first since Tiffany and a normal jeweller have different standards of craftsmanship.

I read your thread about refunds not being possible, so I think selling this ring is probably your best bet and exchanging the funds for the ring of your dreams. Don’t think about the wasted money. Think about the end result. But we’ve also heard of people who raised the issue higher through Tiffany and called HQ etc. within the 30 days.

It definitely wasn’t easy getting my SO to accept my upgrade/change of diamond (i am paying and I paid for part of the original diamond), and I definitely know he’s rolling his eyes at me, but really, this thing is supposed to be stuck to MY hand for the next 50 years or something and I have to look at it and it’s not even a year old and I really want something I’m 100% happy with. I do feel guilty though but he understands now after I repeated it gently a couple of times over the year. Anyway talk about it with your SO somehow. If he asks you what you want for your birthday or Christmas say “I would love if you could consider letting me exchange my current ring and designing a new one. That’s all I want.” LOLLLL I did that for my birthday because I knew he had no idea what to get me and it was a milestone birthday. So after a couple of times throughout this year he finally did see that it was really bothering me and he just gave up and let me do it.

But I really do not think that you should spend money on a new ring and then keep the old one in storage and only wear it “sometimes”. That’s just my opinion though - I’d think that you should just get exactly what you want, something spectacular that you can wear for the rest of your life.

When I got my e-ring, I bought some stackers to wear with it to try to make it look bigger and that cost maybe $550 (I got three vintage rings in new condition, ruby, sapphire+diamond and diamond baguettes for $550). That was just hiding the problem - I wasn’t really happy with this ring and I was trying to decorate it. That $550 could have been spent on just fixing the whole ring and I could have saved it for the upgrade I’m going through now. Please don’t buy a “cheap” secondhand ring to fix your problem :/ It’s really not going to be of comparable quality to your Tiffany ring. And also, not within a month of getting your ring. I was mildly perturbed by my ring 6 days after receiving it, and I definitely understand the feelings of “I need something else cause this is not what I wanted” but take more time to think about it. Way way way more time. It sounds like you were unsure about what you originally wanted and you were rushed into a decision because of limited styles at Tiffany in your budget - I strongly feel that people need to sit on styles for months to be sure that’s what they want. If you’re rushing because you want the new ring to be perceived as “the ring” by friends, family and coworkers, take that out of the equation and don’t rush your decision. My “upgrade” has changed from a halo, to a 1 ct halo, to several different settings, 1.6ct, 1.8 ct and finally it’s at 2.5 ct now after many many months. So your wants can change and you should take time to consider that! Only time will tell whether you’ll want the same thing that you want now (and I feel like your new criteria about a quality, was very recently decided on.)

If you really can’t refund your Tiffany ring, I would try pushing it to HQ first (I think other people made suggestions in other Tiffany threads w limited results). And if you can’t get a refund, I’d wear your Tiffany ring for at least 3 months, if not 6 months while you decide what you want to upgrade to. It won’t affect the resale value which isn’t going to be great anyway, you’ll lose 20-30%. And meanwhile maybe research your dream ring and you can work on persuading SO to let you sell Tiffany and custom-make a ring. My SO said a definite no at first, so I didn’t push it. I thought about getting a bigger custom moissanite ring w diamond halo at first (would have been a complete waste of money because moissanite center isn’t cheap, diamond halo is expensive and I realized later that I didn’t really like the design that I was going to make anyway.) so I waited and now I’m finally moving towards an upgrade.

I am losing thousands of dollars on my old diamond while exchanging it for credit and it sucks to lose money because I made a bad decision in the past, but in the long run I think it will be worth it. Lesson learned, I’m going to focus on the final result I want.

But by all means I really discourage you from buying a new ring within the next week. Don’t do it. Please don’t haha you have a really stunning Tiffany ring. It’s very big and looks great on you. Don’t do what I did and spend money on cheap stuff that you’ll regret later. No way can your new ring below 2k that you plan on buying compare with your Tiffany ring even if the Tiffany is not the exact design you want. I would recommend spending a lot of time with the Tiffany ring, looking at it in sunlight, inside a car, in a shopping mall, in a jewelry store, and just admiring it and giving it some love. Start trying on wedding bands too (jewellers will probably compliment your ring).

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's one you could keep an eye on. It's 1.74ct GIA/D/VVS1 for currently $1700. The HCA is over 2, but not by much (2.4). I'm sure the final value will be much higher though. The seller has 0 feedback, so there's a risk, but Ebay tends to protect buyers if it's a scam.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-CERTIF...322503?hash=item3f8e6b16c7:g:sQoAAOSw1NFaKNp5

My eye is now 100% watching out for that auction. Thank you very much for this lead! It's helpful to have folks like yourself make recommendations. I appreciate the time you took to scour the pages of ebay to find me something to monitor!

Also, what is your finger size? Are you happy with the size of the center diamond you have? Or are you looking to go bigger?

My finger size is around 4.5. I am not happy with the size and wanted something around 1.3 - 1.5. Of course, that's with the understanding that at the brand name stores, that type of size would be out of the question, however if it was custom, we'd be okay!

I can give you the link to a video of ring I have on consignment right now- it's a commissioned art deco cluster ring reproduction so not what you are looking for, but the center stone is VERY well cut and you can see how an OEC performs. The halo stones are also old cuts. I will try to find some videos of the one in my avatar...

OEC's throw more pastel flashes than modern cuts, sparkle like MAD in dim and candlelight and lower colors can face up very white- I have an L OEC and a K OEC pear cut and they face up very white. It's not that they perform "better" than modern cuts, they just perform differently. Chunkier flashes, more personality, more unique and there is a history to them. There are a lot of threads talking about the differences, and why people prefer OECs to MRB's. You should definitely see them in real life to decide, though. I am NOT trying to sell you on OEC's- it is definitely personal preference and I am just bringing it up as an alternative for you since you want something unique and in your price range....

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Vintage-Rings/0B93ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-/i-r7CnFjb

Thank you very much for that link. I see what you mean about the OEC. They are absolutely stunning!!!! I never would have considered them. I love that soft sparkle. The thing is, it's still a clear sparkle. I think that's what my concern was about OECs. That they would have a muddled sparkle and be cloudy. I think those photos prove me very wrong!
I'm going to be doing tons of research on what makes a good OEC. I appreciate you giving me another perspective on the whole diamond scenario. This hunt is a lot more enjoyable with more options!
I would LOVE to see some more videos if you get a chance.
Also: feel free to direct me to a good thread or other websites that might be a great educational resource to help me understand how to determine if an OEC faces up white etc.
Gosh, I'm so excited!

As always, your words are fantastic. I think I'm just a very impatient person by nature :whistle: Ultimately though, you're right. If Tiffany's won't budge, than I'm better off waiting and seeing what my next options are rather than jumping the gun.

Victor Canera rings look absolutely stunning. I don't want to really look at them because then I start to lust after them:P2

Thanks again for your support and ideas. You are a wonderful person!

+1- that is your BEST option. Then you can take those funds and get the ring of your dreams. I have to ask though, is your fiancee on board with all of this???

My fiancee would not be very impressed with all of this. He's not a materialistic guy, so for him, this is all crazy. However, if we could return the ring without repercussions, I think he'd be alright with it.

Save that money for an upgrade and not for another similar ring. Look, you can get a 1.8 H VS2 superideal cut stone for $18K...

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3739938.htm

I also recommend Victor Canera as he is a master ringmaker and makes them handforged, which is a step above Tiffany. He also sells modern and antique style well cut diamonds.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement

He makes the best pave halo available anywhere. We have members here with very large diamonds who have chosen him to make their pave settings.

My diamond (in my avatar picture) is a newly cut Old European cut and is cut to have superior light performance. It is from the brand August Vintage, but they are expecting new rounds any day so I can't link them for you yet. The originator is now selling the stone partly through James Allen and may sell through other select jewelers. They are in transition right now so that's why there's a delay.

If your fiance is not inclined to go along with selling the ring and starting over now, I'd start saving and then ask him for a new anniversary ring in 5 years or something like that. Then you can gradually start wearing that new ring instead of the current engagement ring.

There are so many ideas that I was ignorant to before coming on this forum. I would love to see more photos of your diamond ring! Is August Vintage a producer of OEC stones?

Yes, I think I might just start saving now. Hopefully, in 5 years we'll reach around 20k in savings for me to get a new and gorgeous ring. I'm also trying to save for a whole new jewelry getup = bracelet, necklace and earrings. My goal is to find a few pieces that are gorgeous to wear every day that I don't need to remove at the end of the night = gold items :D

Thanks for your advice and insights. I am so pumped to learn more about OEC diamonds now!

Hey, I feel like I’m going through the same thing as you are.

I’m not a fan of my e-ring (haha even though I picked it myself!) and I’m now going through the struggle and guilt of changing it/upgrading.

It sounds like you dislike your e-ring to the extent that you’re looking for a different ring, because you can’t stand the design any more and it’s stuck to your hand daily.

I know you don’t want to sell it at a loss of 20-30%, but if you know you REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike it and you can live with never seeing it ever again, maybe you should just sell it once and for all, don’t think about the wasted money and with the money you get from the sale, get a Super Ideal diamond or ideal cut of a bigger size and the exact custom halo setting that you want. I’m sure that you can get a bigger diamond with a custom halo setting. I would suggest you go into typical jewelry stores and make sure you’re okay with the quality first since Tiffany and a normal jeweller have different standards of craftsmanship.

I read your thread about refunds not being possible, so I think selling this ring is probably your best bet and exchanging the funds for the ring of your dreams. Don’t think about the wasted money. Think about the end result. But we’ve also heard of people who raised the issue higher through Tiffany and called HQ etc. within the 30 days.

It definitely wasn’t easy getting my SO to accept my upgrade/change of diamond (i am paying and I paid for part of the original diamond), and I definitely know he’s rolling his eyes at me, but really, this thing is supposed to be stuck to MY hand for the next 50 years or something and I have to look at it and it’s not even a year old and I really want something I’m 100% happy with. I do feel guilty though but he understands now after I repeated it gently a couple of times over the year. Anyway talk about it with your SO somehow. If he asks you what you want for your birthday or Christmas say “I would love if you could consider letting me exchange my current ring and designing a new one. That’s all I want.” LOLLLL I did that for my birthday because I knew he had no idea what to get me and it was a milestone birthday. So after a couple of times throughout this year he finally did see that it was really bothering me and he just gave up and let me do it.

But I really do not think that you should spend money on a new ring and then keep the old one in storage and only wear it “sometimes”. That’s just my opinion though - I’d think that you should just get exactly what you want, something spectacular that you can wear for the rest of your life.

When I got my e-ring, I bought some stackers to wear with it to try to make it look bigger and that cost maybe $550 (I got three vintage rings in new condition, ruby, sapphire+diamond and diamond baguettes for $550). That was just hiding the problem - I wasn’t really happy with this ring and I was trying to decorate it. That $550 could have been spent on just fixing the whole ring and I could have saved it for the upgrade I’m going through now. Please don’t buy a “cheap” secondhand ring to fix your problem :/ It’s really not going to be of comparable quality to your Tiffany ring. And also, not within a month of getting your ring. I was mildly perturbed by my ring 6 days after receiving it, and I definitely understand the feelings of “I need something else cause this is not what I wanted” but take more time to think about it. Way way way more time. It sounds like you were unsure about what you originally wanted and you were rushed into a decision because of limited styles at Tiffany in your budget - I strongly feel that people need to sit on styles for months to be sure that’s what they want. If you’re rushing because you want the new ring to be perceived as “the ring” by friends, family and coworkers, take that out of the equation and don’t rush your decision. My “upgrade” has changed from a halo, to a 1 ct halo, to several different settings, 1.6ct, 1.8 ct and finally it’s at 2.5 ct now after many many months. So your wants can change and you should take time to consider that! Only time will tell whether you’ll want the same thing that you want now (and I feel like your new criteria about a quality, was very recently decided on.)

If you really can’t refund your Tiffany ring, I would try pushing it to HQ first (I think other people made suggestions in other Tiffany threads w limited results). And if you can’t get a refund, I’d wear your Tiffany ring for at least 3 months, if not 6 months while you decide what you want to upgrade to. It won’t affect the resale value which isn’t going to be great anyway, you’ll lose 20-30%. And meanwhile maybe research your dream ring and you can work on persuading SO to let you sell Tiffany and custom-make a ring. My SO said a definite no at first, so I didn’t push it. I thought about getting a bigger custom moissanite ring w diamond halo at first (would have been a complete waste of money because moissanite center isn’t cheap, diamond halo is expensive and I realized later that I didn’t really like the design that I was going to make anyway.) so I waited and now I’m finally moving towards an upgrade.

I am losing thousands of dollars on my old diamond while exchanging it for credit and it sucks to lose money because I made a bad decision in the past, but in the long run I think it will be worth it. Lesson learned, I’m going to focus on the final result I want.

But by all means I really discourage you from buying a new ring within the next week. Don’t do it. Please don’t haha you have a really stunning Tiffany ring. It’s very big and looks great on you. Don’t do what I did and spend money on cheap stuff that you’ll regret later. No way can your new ring below 2k that you plan on buying compare with your Tiffany ring even if the Tiffany is not the exact design you want. I would recommend spending a lot of time with the Tiffany ring, looking at it in sunlight, inside a car, in a shopping mall, in a jewelry store, and just admiring it and giving it some love. Start trying on wedding bands too (jewellers will probably compliment your ring).

You are such an incredible person to write such a meaningful and honest post. I know I've said this to other posters, but once again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you giving me your time to help me out. The sincerity in your post warms my heart!

I really love how you considered my dilemma and shared with me your own struggles to help me recognize what I should do.
Your story has inspired me to take a few breaths and really think about what I want. Hopefully, the time I take to consider my next options will help me get what I really want rather than finding something to pacify me ATM.

Do you have pics of your new acquisition to share? I was just thinking tonight that I need to appreciate the small things in my e-ring that make it beautiful. And perhaps, through admiring quality, I can get over the quantity issue that I'm feeling right now.

Again, I read and then re-read your post because your words certainly have an impact on me. Thank you for helping me out! I look forward to many more wonderful interactions like this in the future!!!!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I completely understand not liking your ring. I didn't like my first one and it had bad karma because at the time, my husband wasn't anxious to get married and didn't really get involved in the picking process. But I waited 4 years to change it and even then, probably shouldn't have spent that $$.

My suggestion is that you take a break from Pricescope and diamonds for a while. You are caught up in the frenzy and I think you might either A) not be happy with a replacement that you can afford or B) take a bath on your existing ring. I have seen many people say to return your existing ring but you have not said you can do that so I am guessing that isn't an option.

I think you might realize in the first few years of marriage that things will come along that you want to spend your money on that are more important to you than a diamond, especially if you want to have kids or buy a place. And I don't know if you travel but if you plan to have children, you will want to do your traveling before because it's WAY harder once you do.

I recall a poster on here about 11 years ago who was on here ALL the time buying diamonds and upgrading right and left. She was young and newly married. Then she got pregnant and sold of her entire collection at what I assume was much less than she paid since I have sold some things and I see how much you get back.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I love PS but it makes you think you need a new, shiny $$ thing and sometimes taking a break from it can be helpful.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think you'd ever find a secondhand AGS000 or GIA 3x diamond of the specs you listed going for half the price of new. First, only a small percentage of diamonds sold even have that high grade of cut, and most of the people buying them are going to either hang onto them or trade them in when they use their upgrade policy. The only exception to that might be someone who bought years ago, or bought when diamond prices were in a trough, and prices have increased enough that selling the diamond outright will net more than trading it in or selling it back to the original vendor. The vendors buy the diamond, have it repolished if necessary, send it to a lab for a new report, and then list it for their retail price. There were a couple of damonds on here that have been owned by more than one Pricescoper, lol.

Second, great diamonds don't sell at low prices like 50% of market rate, new or used. Pricescope people can and do sell their diamonds to Pricescope vendors. In those cases, per whats' ben discussed here, they get approximately the wholesale value or a bit less. The markup for online diamonds has been said to be only 15% to 20% at most, so this is another reason why you won't find great stuff selling for 50% off or less.

Third, anything decent that's 1.5ct - 1.6ct is a highly sought size for upgrades and anniversary purchases. There is an enormous amount of competition for any budget-friendly diamond in that price range. I was looking for about 1.6ct, but "settled" for 1.3something because i found a fantastic performer in a very attractive price range, and I'd have to pay a whole lot more to get that in the 1.5ct & up size, so I lost interest in upgrading any farther.

Your Tiffany center stone is not small, and H is plenty white, especially in a halo ring. If you really can't stand the setting you have, sell the setting and put that money toward a Victor or CVB setting might be your smallest loss / smallest cash outlay. There are a lot of people who'd buy that Tiffany mounting to put their stone in. A 1ct diamond is not small, in the real world. The average e-ring diamond is probably more like .7-.8ct in a lot of places. Not everyone starts out with a 2 ct ring. Not everyone starts out with a $13,000 Tiffany ring, either.

You can use the Pricescope diamond search engine to look for diamonds with the specs you want. But you'll see that they are not inexpensive. irrc, Victor Canera settings start around $4000 -$5000 in platinum, but it's been a while since I followed pricing of any of the custom ring makers.

OECs: You will find very few of any size that are in the colorless or near colorless range. Most will be J or lower colors. The reason is decades ago, people recut the high-color and colorless ones into modern RBs because they were were worth more money that way. There are few survivors in the "white" range, My mother has one, and it's certainly gorgeous. But most of them will be J/K or some degree of yellow tint.

Last edited:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, custom rings can take 8 weeks or more to complete, what with the CADs and all the back and forth. And it's Christmas season and the worst time to try to get something custom-made, imo, because jewelers are already overloaded. Personally, I'd avoid the peak crisis times like Christmas, Valentine's Day, and anything in the May-June wedding and anniversary season. I've had pretty good luck buying diamonds or getting rings made or repaired in August - October, when jewelers are not so swamped and not as many customers are looking for diamonds. If you try to rush the artists like Victor, you'll just get the brushoff. You have to allow them whatever time they take to do what they do.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found the “diamond of my dreams” and am having it set in a temporary setting because at this time of year the great designers are in high demand.
I would focus on the diamond, not the setting at this point.

Please don’t be in a hurry, except retuning the ring if that’s what you decide. These decisions take time and education to be truly happy with the ultimate choice.
Now you are looking at OECs. That is an entirely different ball game. An aquired taste, must be seen in person, unless you go with one newly cut with optimal light performance.
You may find you love an M...or you may love a G. Take a deep breath...You need more time to educate yourself!

Edited
Oh gosh, I did not mean any of that in a demeaning way. I am speaking from experience. I bought a lot of diamonds before I understood what I really love, and I spent a lot of money on settings I soon regretted.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results